Arguments against AVATAR and James Cameron

Started by Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn, October 09, 2010, 11:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Breezer on January 02, 2011, 12:09:06 PM
As much as I can't understand why people would hate avatar, they might just genuinely hate it!
I can't understand how people could hate Avatar either. People who write rant and hate blogs seem to just want attention more than anything. The content on such sites is typically garbage.

Btw, can anyone help me with the language, I'm stuck!! :(
Ask up in the Beginners forum. I'm sure someone will help you out...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on January 02, 2011, 06:35:20 AM
Quote from: Markì on January 02, 2011, 03:08:50 AM
Sort of how it should have read "all men are afforded equal access and acceptance under the law" as opposed to "all men are created equal" in the US Declaration of Independence...

(going off-topic a bit) Yes, I agree.  However, if you were in a piping hot building in the middle of the summer, with no air conditioning, wearing the kind of clothes that would make you sweat buckets, would you want to take extra time to make sure that that is written in the most correct form? ;)

Also, at the time the only people that they saw as "men" were white men (also with the presumption that they all were Christian, unfortunately).  So they were writing this out in that fashion.

... carry on...

ta Eyamsiyu

Not entirely true. The topic of slavery was actually proposed to be brought up during the drafting of the DoI and the Constitution, but those that had the inkling to bring it up, knew for a fact that those documents would never get created if that specific topic were to come up. AKA, they knew that the discussion would get so heated, and so deadlocked, that in order for the drafts that were made to actually be made, those issues were never addressed.

And is there -really- such a problem that they were deists? Reading their personal diaries, and journals, and memoirs, it rarely is ever limited the amounts of freedoms they wished to be afforded to people. In fact, it actually assisted in the expansions of freedoms to all peoples. It certainly never affected the fact that these documents were truly inspired. Where that source of inspiration is, is up for interpretation.

Quote"all men are created equal"

Remember that all men are created equal, with certain unalienable right, such as, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. No where in there do they mention that everyone MUST be given anything. Only that we are equal in creation and must be afforded the equal chance, but we must attain, or pursue, our own happiness. By that, our endeavors, do we differentiate from each other, and gain our own levels of respect.

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on January 02, 2011, 03:40:56 PM
And is there -really- such a problem that they were deists? Reading their personal diaries, and journals, and memoirs, it rarely is ever limited the amounts of freedoms they wished to be afforded to people. In fact, it actually assisted in the expansions of freedoms to all peoples. It certainly never affected the fact that these documents were truly inspired. Where that source of inspiration is, is up for interpretation.

Sran, and Thomas Jefferson was a deist as well. ;D

Eyamsiyu

Exlib, what I said about there being mainly Christians and some Deists was meant to mean that there was a lack of diversity in that respect, not that any particular group was bad.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Toruk Makto

Even though I am guilty as hell,

TOPIC...

Irayo!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on January 02, 2011, 03:09:17 PM
As much as I can't understand why people would hate avatar, they might just genuinely hate it!

I can't understand how people could hate Avatar either. People who write rant and hate blogs seem to just want attention more than anything. The content on such sites is typically garbage.

Mllte  >:(! I too feel like they're, for the most part, just doing it to give attention to themselves and they're usually quite sucssesfull at it, since Avatar is such a popular movie. Althought there are probably a few of them that actually hat it with a passion, just like i hate haters (HRH  :D. Contradiction. Lol  ;D.) with a passion.

About this: Has it ever occured to you that likers are usually more friendly than haters? I mean, they troll in their stupid blogs about how terrible and immoral Avatar is  >:(, in one sense or another, wilst we enjoy ourselves at this lovely and friendly forum, united by our passion for Avatar and our shared views, bonding like a family  ;D.

(Sorry, ma frapo, quote fail  :P.)
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ku'rända

I know some folk who think the movie was ruined because of a 'joke' by JC in the script.   Say that using the word "unobtanium" in a movie about genocide is wrong, and therefore ruins the movie.

Give us a chance, MORON!

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 03, 2011, 08:08:18 PM
I know some folk who think the movie was ruined because of a 'joke' by JC in the script.   Say that using the word "unobtanium" in a movie about genocide is wrong, and therefore ruins the movie.
That is a snumìna reason. ::)

Toruk Makto

I would have liked to see it called something else, but it didn't "ruin" the movie for me.

Toruk Makto

Ekirä

Quote from: Markì on January 03, 2011, 11:15:30 PM
Double post...

Maybe "HardToObtainium"?

:)

Well, the ASG explains it....

Yeah, the ASG isn't exactly "canon" but I like their explanation. :D

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Ekirä on January 04, 2011, 12:26:34 AM
Well, the ASG explains it....

While the name does have a back story, I still felt the name was uncreative.

When the movie takes place, the RDA had obtained it. To me, renaming would have made sense just because the name no longer reflected the substance's availability.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Eyawng te Klltepayu

That term has been used to describe fictional materials with desirable properties for a fair few decades now. Within the reality of the film it's a popular colloquialism derived from this usage.

Quote from:  1995 Avatar Scriptment
...joke name of "unobtanium" has stuck, over the years.

Quote from:  The Making of Avatar
...to mine a precious superconducting mineral called, colloquially, "unobtanium"
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteI know some folk who think the movie was ruined because of a 'joke' by JC in the script.   Say that using the word "unobtanium" in a movie about genocide is wrong, and therefore ruins the movie.
QuoteThat is a snumìna reason.  ::)

Why would it really, in any f***ing way matter  >:(?! Why does it matter if something called ``Unobtanium´´ is featured in ``a movie about genocide´´  >:(?! If those are gonna reason like that then they soon will have no more movies to enjoy. They ruin it for themselves by getting pissed off by such things  >:(! Poor souls  >:( :(!

And i agree with Tsäroltxe, that reason is snumìna  >:(!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan on January 03, 2011, 10:51:30 PM
Quote from: Ku'rända on January 03, 2011, 08:08:18 PM
That is a snumìna reason. ::)

What is the problem with "unobtanium"? :o I had never heard the word before and have no idea what it represents.

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Ekirä on January 04, 2011, 12:26:34 AM
Yeah, the ASG isn't exactly "canon" but I like their explanation. :D
Actually Cameron gave his blessing on the contents of that book. Not the language so much, but the other stuff... yes.

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 04, 2011, 06:23:46 AM
problem with "unobtanium"? :o I had never heard the word before and have no idea what it represents.

Unobtanium is a word that exists within the schools of engineering and physics. When engineers are designing something, say for extra-terrestrial activities, and are trying to make this thing work, but the known elements and compounds of today just don't have the right properties needed, they fill it in with "unobtanium". It's really a catch-all term meaning something that would be perfect in a situation (i.e. an undiscovered metallic compound, a yet to be attained plastic combination, etc.) but is just not around yet. That's why Cameron used the term unobtanium. To have a room temperature super conductor like Unobtanium would be an answer to SOOO many energy issues of the world. Such as the power grid in America, where only 30% of the electricity that is generated, actually makes it to the sockets of your home, work, etc. And the majority of that is to blame on the effeciency, or lack there of, of the currently used materials.

Ekirä

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on January 04, 2011, 09:33:29 AM
Unobtanium is a word that exists within the schools of engineering and physics. When engineers are designing something, say for extra-terrestrial activities, and are trying to make this thing work, but the known elements and compounds of today just don't have the right properties needed, they fill it in with "unobtanium". It's really a catch-all term meaning something that would be perfect in a situation (i.e. an undiscovered metallic compound, a yet to be attained plastic combination, etc.) but is just not around yet. That's why Cameron used the term unobtanium. To have a room temperature super conductor like Unobtanium would be an answer to SOOO many energy issues of the world. Such as the power grid in America, where only 30% of the electricity that is generated, actually makes it to the sockets of your home, work, etc. And the majority of that is to blame on the effeciency, or lack there of, of the currently used materials.

Yes! Thank you, that's what I wanted to say but I didn't remember how accurate it was.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Oh, I see! :) Now I understand better. Irayo :D

archaic

How about 'High Temperature Superconductive Centuarile Pandorite' or 'H.T.S.C.P.' for short.

Not saying where these appear. :-[

Does anyone other than Selfridge actually call it 'Unobtainium'? He also calls it 'Cheddar'.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ekirä

Quote from: archaic on January 04, 2011, 05:26:56 PM
How about 'High Temperature Superconductive Centuarile Pandorite' or 'H.T.S.C.P.' for short.

Not saying where these appear. :-[

Does anyone other than Selfridge actually call it 'Unobtainium'? He also calls it 'Cheddar'.

Quote from: SelfridgeThis is why we're here. Unobtanium. Because this little gray rock sells for 20 million a kilo.