Arguments against AVATAR and James Cameron

Started by Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn, October 09, 2010, 11:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Quote from: Ekirä on January 04, 2011, 05:34:15 PM
Quote from: archaic on January 04, 2011, 05:26:56 PM
How about 'High Temperature Superconductive Centuarile Pandorite' or 'H.T.S.C.P.' for short.

Not saying where these appear. :-[

Does anyone other than Selfridge actually call it 'Unobtainium'? He also calls it 'Cheddar'.

Quote from: SelfridgeThis is why we're here. Unobtanium. Because this little gray rock sells for 20 million a kilo.

"Look at all that Cheddar!"

Eyamsiyu

How about 'High Temperature Superconductive Centuarile Pandorite' or 'H.T.S.C.P.' for short.

Does anyone other than Selfridge actually call it 'Unobtainium'? He also calls it 'Cheddar'.

Quote from: SelfridgeThis is why we're here. Cheddar Cheese. Because this yellow dairy product sells for 20 million a kilo.

Must be some good cheese. ;)

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Ekirä

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on January 04, 2011, 09:05:39 PM

Quote from: SelfridgeThis is why we're here. Cheddar Cheese. Because this yellow dairy product sells for 20 million a kilo.

"We give them milk, build them cheese factories, teach them how to operate them, but no, no! They like mud!"

/successful thread derail

Quote from: Ekirä on January 04, 2011, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: Eyamsiyu on January 04, 2011, 09:05:39 PM

"We give them milk, build them cheese factories, teach them how to operate them, but no, no! They like mud!"

/successful thread derail

"The Destruction of Homecheese"

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Everyone knows the moon (of Polyphemus) is made of cheese...  ;D
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Oh my god, too much cheese in this topic! It's gotten out of hand ;D

Ekirä

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 04, 2011, 09:38:27 PM

This forum has something about food. ;)

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Ekirä on January 04, 2011, 09:39:59 PM

I can see that very well :D
And the funniest thing is that it's even impossible to see where exactly the conversation has left the path of the topic. ::)  

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 04, 2011, 09:43:43 PM
Quote from: Ekirä on January 04, 2011, 09:39:59 PM

I can see that very well :D
And the funniest thing is that it's even impossible to see where exactly the conversation has left the path of the topic. ::)  
Come on, this is so cheesy! ::)

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

archaic

Kinda my fault, I pointed out that Selfridge also called unobtainium 'cheddar' and it went from there.

So, any other (non dairy) names given to the little gray rock that sells for twenty million a kilo?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

ExLibrisMortis

Honestly, I think Unobtanium was a brilliant choice for two reasons. One, the name already had an established foothold amongst modern day science, and thus had very large amounts of standing amongst the learned of our society. Secondly, by choosing unobtanium, Cameron didn't specify a single name given to it, thus removing the capability of throwing credible arguments against it.

Unobtanium is a great name, there's no reason to change it.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

According to several engineering friends of mine, Cameron ripped off unobtanium from them. They use it to describe the metal they need for a project that is either A)non-existant or B)cost prohibitive.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

archaic

Yes 'Unobtainium' is an engineers term for a metal they need for a project that is either A)non-existant or B)cost prohibitive.

Avatar is not the first movie to do this, many (myself included) cringe a little at it's use.

Eyawng te Klltepayu

I'm fine with it. Sometimes a joke name just ends up sticking, at least in the popular parlance. The story about Fred Hoyle having coined the term 'Big Bang' as a pejorative is not true, but it so easily could have been.
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal'itan on January 06, 2011, 02:41:11 PM
According to several engineering friends of mine, Cameron ripped off unobtanium from them. They use it to describe the metal they need for a project that is either A)non-existant or B)cost prohibitive.

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on January 04, 2011, 09:33:29 AM
Unobtanium is a word that exists within the schools of engineering and physics. When engineers are designing something, say for extra-terrestrial activities, and are trying to make this thing work, but the known elements and compounds of today just don't have the right properties needed, they fill it in with "unobtanium". It's really a catch-all term meaning something that would be perfect in a situation (i.e. an undiscovered metallic compound, a yet to be attained plastic combination, etc.) but is just not around yet. That's why Cameron used the term unobtanium. To have a room temperature super conductor like Unobtanium would be an answer to SOOO many energy issues of the world. Such as the power grid in America, where only 30% of the electricity that is generated, actually makes it to the sockets of your home, work, etc. And the majority of that is to blame on the effeciency, or lack there of, of the currently used materials.

Not really a ripoff, more as an already understood term for what it was describing.

archaic

Parker Selfridge say's .....
(To grace) "This is why we're here ..... Unobtainium. Because this little gray rock sells for twenty million a kilo. That's the only reason. It's what pay's for the whole party, it's what pay's for your science, comprendo?"

..... and .....

(To Jake) "Their damn village, happens to be resting on the richest Unobtanium deposit, within two hundred clicks, in any direction. I mean, look at all that cheddar."[Evil laugh]

But he also uses nick names for stuff, he calls Na'vi "Blue monkeys" and "The indigenous". Can we assume therefore, that 'Unobtainium' is only a slang name for it?

EDIT:- Spelling.

Ekirä

Quote from: archaic on January 07, 2011, 08:36:25 AM
But he also uses nick names for stuff, he calls Na'vi "Blue monkeys" and "The indigenous". Can we assume therefore, that 'Unobtainium' is only a slang name for it?

Not really, because that's what the ASG calls it and what JC calls it....