Arguments against AVATAR and James Cameron

Started by Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn, October 09, 2010, 11:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExLibrisMortis

Apology accepted.

And no, I never said racism is not a problem, I just can look at the world and not think that racism is as prevalent as many make it out to be.

Irtaviš Ačankif

I generally believe that whites, especially in America, are one of the least racist cultures in the world due to their contact with the most amount of other cultures. Chinese people are way more racist, though again not in the "evil" sense, but in the sense that most believe in racial stereotypes. Whites are misers, blacks are lazy, Asians are liars, Arabs are violent, Jews are smart, Hispanics are unintelligent, etc. It's quite common to make racist jokes about one's place of origin etc (you were scammed, haha typical Hunan guy) and nobody think's that's especially wrong. In history class, textbooks and teachers give an impression that the Japanese are a selfish race bent on waging war against the Chinese *race* (rather than dominating the Chinese territory), and the Germans are warlike and closed-minded, often with a comment on how Germanic people were historically uncivilized.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tsmuktengan

Just a note : you're moving off-topic people.

Clarke

Um, are we?  ??? If we're going to accuse Cameron of being racist, discussing racism seems quite related.

Toruk Makto

That is a valid point, provided we can discuss it in the respectful manner of colleagues and clan.  I say this not in anticipation of trouble, but because I would like to see this discussion continue.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

How could anyone say Cameron is racist? I feel like the more I think about that statement, the more my IQ goes down because of how stupid that sounds.

As far as I know, Cameron has never made anything remotely racist against anyone of any culture.
The only way Cameron could be racist is like this:

Keep in mind that all human people on Earth are of the HUMAN RACE, a.k.a. Mankind.
Avatar was based on human invasion of a native culture and destroying it... Ok, now Cameron is racist towards the entire human race.
He made every single White, Black, Asian or whatever into one group. He NEVER singled out any one specific culture of the Human race.

So in reality, no... Cameron is by far the most unracist person ever.
A racist singles out specific cultures or people based on color, physical attribute and origin.
Not once did Cameron ever make a racist notion.

NotW#82

Tsmuktengan

Quotethe more my IQ goes down because of how stupid that sounds

I think that's a bit harsh. 

I mean, I'm on with your points, but you should probably be careful of the words you use to avoid affecting someone else feelings based on it's opinion. That's the only way to keep sharing properly on stuff. :)

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on April 15, 2013, 08:26:10 AM
Quotethe more my IQ goes down because of how stupid that sounds

I think that's a bit harsh. 

I mean, I'm on with your points, but you should probably be careful of the words you use to avoid affecting someone else feelings based on it's opinion. That's the only way to keep sharing properly on stuff. :)

Point taken.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Sometimes I cannot help myself when some things are said, I go off on a tangent..
Pardon my crassness.

NotW#82

Toruk Makto

Racism? Or maybe xenophobia? I still think it is more a story that is simply and intentionally allegorical, with the major premise being greed and the minor premise being strong vs weak (those terms are actually in the script). And the race of the characters is significantly irrelevant. In my opinion, any interpolated references to "white knights" or "white guilt" are entirely in the mind of the viewer, since I doubt Cameron would intentionally promote, or be guilty of, anything like that.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf