Started by Sylwaninismasis, May 06, 2011, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eana Tanhì

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 06, 2011, 09:09:07 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on June 06, 2011, 08:24:06 AM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 08:09:18 AM
My seventh viewing I went with somebody who really doesn't watch movies at all and when she does, it's definitely not in the theaters and DEFINITELY not a graphic intensive actiony movie. She's a low tech minimalist kind of person. Heck, even her TV was almost as old a me.

But I pretty much forced her to go. She ended up seeing the movie twice more in theaters and purchased a 3D TV as a result.

The movie is breathtaking and mindboggling in so many ways. The change of heart of Jake. The way Neytiri slowly gets attracted to Jake. The views of Pandora. heck, if there were a bluray with 4 hours of nothing but Eywa'eveng nature shots, with fauna and flora, I'd get it and watch it over and over again.

Definitely! :D I think one just can't help feeling drawn to the screen when watching Avatar. :) I honestly can't understand people who watch it and say that it's bad, or that they don't like it. It's practical insanity to me hrh! ;D

I feel the same way.. how can someone not like LOVE the movie?!

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eana Tanhì on June 06, 2011, 10:00:40 AM
I feel the same way.. how can someone not like LOVE the movie?!
I've wondered the same thing...but unfortunately, I (probably like most/all of us here) know several people who didn't like it.

One of them went with me to see it on my 4th theater viewing, and I got a lecture about how bad it was as a result. :(
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

'Itan Atxur

I can understand people who only like and maybe even dislike the movie. More than likely they just didn't understand the movies subtleties and only saw the movie as an action flick with lots of eye candy.

I don't understand people who hate the movie though. Well, actually I think I do understand them. They went into the movie WANTING it to fail after all the hype and instead of just watching it and letting themselves become absorbed by it's beauty, they were actively looking for problems.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Puvomun

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 01:23:11 PM
More than likely they just didn't understand the movies subtleties and only saw the movie as an action flick with lots of eye candy.

You have a good point there. Most subtlety is wasted on most people. They look for different things in movies. Not deep connection with the world around them.

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 01:23:11 PMI don't understand people who hate the movie though. Well, actually I think I do understand them. They went into the movie WANTING it to fail after all they hype and instead of just watching it and letting themselves become absorbed by it's beauty, they were actively looking for problems.

For some people the best thing is to ruin someone else's joy, and that is what they are after then. I know people who saw the movie and shrugged. "It's the same as..." and then a string of movies I never heard of. Well, if they think of Avatar like that, fine. I actively ignore their opinion of it then. They have theirs and I have mine. We have ours.

For me something precious in Avatar was and still is meoauniaea, the harmony with nature. I miss that here, no matter how much I try. Even though I sometimes feel I am coming pretty close to what is possible on 'Rrta.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Itan Atxur

I hate to say it, but I went into my first Avatar viewing as one of those people looking for problems in the movie. The trailers didn't say ANYTHING about the story so I just assumed it was a 3D eye candy action flick by the maker of Terminator (which I do like). I was expecting an average movie at best. I totally wasn't expecting an amazing new movie by the creator of Titanic :)

Puvomun

That sort of doubled the impact on you!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Puvomun on June 06, 2011, 02:12:54 PM
That sort of doubled the impact on you!

Exactly :). I actually did walk out of the theater slightly dazed. My parents and friends were talking about the movie saying how it was pretty good for the most part. Then it was my turn to speak and I was like "I... I think... I think that was the best movie I've ever seen!" I got some awkward looks for that.

I was just proud of myself for being able to view the movie with an open mind despite expecting it to fail. The funny thing is that it really did hook me right... off... the bat. The first lines (As I was lying there in the VA hospital... ect, ect) did exactly what they needed to do.

The next day at work was a pretty bad one for me. Then about half way through I decided I was gonna go see Avatar again right afterwards. Suddenly I was in a great mood again :)

It might sound like I'm making some of this up or exaggerating (which I am occasionally prone to do  :o) but this is really how it played out for me.

Puvomun

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 02:19:36 PM
I actually did walk out of the theater slightly dazed.

Now that sounds familiar! I almost refused to accept that the movie was over. That it was a movie. It hurt inside that this magnificent world had gone. I already then decided to see it again the next day, as I had to go home again. Home to Pandora.
And I still have that feeling when it's over. After 39 times...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Itan Atxur

They need to re-release it back in theaters!! I only got up to 17 :(

Puvomun

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 02:37:02 PM
I saw some 26 times at home on Bluray ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

archaic

I too went expecting to hate it. I too saw the trailers and thought 'Meh whatever', that much hype and budget it's going to be an appalling self indulgent Cameron ego trip, all shiny special effects and no substance.
I wasn't even going to watch it!
But, one night, I was practically in the theater and I had a several hours to kill before I needed to be somewhere.
I figured 'I'm going to hate this movie, I'm going to rubbish it anyway, I might as well watch it for ammunition, I'm going to point out how bad it is, point out all the flaws. Nothing meaner than a well informed hater.'
I watched it in 2D .....
"When I was lying there in the VA hospital" Yep, this is going to suck big style!
"With a big hole blown through the middle of my life." Corny.
I wasn't conscious of changing my opinions at any particular specific point, but I came out and stared at the list of all the screens showing Avatar 3D. Next one not full, was four hours away, I think the next 2D was two hours away. I was gutted! About then I realized I'd failed to hate it, in fact I really really liked it. Next time I caught it in 3D, and that was when I truly fell in love with this movie.
After that, every time I sneaked it to watch it I felt like a naughty school kid, yet I was also wondering what the hell I was doing. I'm old, and crotchety, and I don't do thing like this. I just do not go watch the same movie over and over. I felt stupid and pathetic, yet somewhere around "Sooner or later though, you always have to wake up." that feeling was gone and I was hooked. Again.

Some one once said "Haters gonna hate." Not always. Archaic:- Failed hater.
Damn you Cameron! What have you done to me?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

'Itan Atxur

Another failed hater here :)

Anyways, the absolute 100% selling point where I was finally completely and totally captured was undeniably the scene where Jake hits the bioluminescent blue plants with the feeler thingies while Neytiri was leading him to home tree. I remember thinking "That's exactly what I'd be doing!"

Swoka Ikran

And here. I went only because I was bored on a Saturday in January 2010 and my parents wanted me to get out of the house before a coming snowstorm that was in the forecast.

I'm not much of a big moviegoer, and I hadn't heard much about it. My mom had mentioned seeing a commercial and saying "I think you'd like that" or some such, but I just said whatever.

On that Saturday, I looked at the listings and initially passed on it because the description they had posted made it sound like it'd suck. With nothing else worth seeing, I went and saw it anyway, just to kill time and see how badly they spent $500mil.

When I left the theater...I think just being here explains how I felt. :)

I later saw it 6 more times in the theater, and to date, have seen it 43 times on DVD/BD...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

'Oma Tirea

I got less than 5 :( :( :(

When I get the chance I'm gonna max out AVATAR 2/3 in the theaters for viewings ;D

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 06, 2011, 10:45:34 PM

I got less than 5 :( :( :(

When I get the chance I'm gonna max out AVATAR 2/3 in the theaters for viewings ;D

If I have money, I will too :) I sold half my video games to watch Avatar.

Puvomun

Aye. I can already hear them say: "What, it's you again?"  ;D

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Itan Atxur

Lol. I went the same days of the week at the same time when nobody was in the theater. They all knew me :) I should have asked for the poster. I will next time.

archaic

Once, when I was taking my seat, I heard one member of the audience say to their companion .....
"I hear the guy who's on the sweet counter has seen this six times!"
I felt like saying "I expect he'll catch up, eventually." but I didn't. I think that was about viewing fourteen for me.

Puvomun

Quote from: archaic on June 07, 2011, 10:22:40 AM
Once, when I was taking my seat, I heard one member of the audience say to their companion .....
"I hear the guy who's on the sweet counter has seen this six times!"
I felt like saying "I expect he'll catch up, eventually." but I didn't. I think that was about viewing fourteen for me.
ROFL! That is great!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

archaic

100% True story!