Started by Sylwaninismasis, May 06, 2011, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Human No More

hrh, I didn't overhear anything like that... I completely lost count, but must have been close to 35 times..
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

'Itan Atxur

You all are making me jealous. Does sitting in the same... exact... seat I sat in for 15 of my 17 viewings but for other movies count? hrh.

You know, every time I go to the theater now and the previews finish and you know the movie is about to start, I always hear the intro music to Avatar and it makes me sad I'm not watching it :(

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

You all are making ME jealous! I didn't get to see Avatar till March 23, 2010! (longish sad story there) I never got a chance to get all those theater viewings in. I don't have any of those memories from December and early January of people's reactions in the theaters. To date I have only seen Avatar about 14 times  :'( Sure I'm good with the language, but I still wish I had seen Avatar back in Dec 09 when I was supposed to. (Again, longish sad story)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

archaic

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 08, 2011, 12:18:52 AM
You know, every time I go to the theater now and the previews finish and you know the movie is about to start, I always hear the intro music to Avatar and it makes me sad I'm not watching it :(
I always get this whenever I see the fox logo flyby with it's fanfare. Definite disappointment when it isn't followed by "When I was lying there in the VA hospital ..... "
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on June 08, 2011, 12:23:24 PM
You all are making ME jealous! I didn't get to see Avatar till March 23, 2010! (longish sad story there) I never got a chance to get all those theater viewings in. I don't have any of those memories from December and early January of people's reactions in the theaters. To date I have only seen Avatar about 14 times  :'( Sure I'm good with the language, but I still wish I had seen Avatar back in Dec 09 when I was supposed to. (Again, longish sad story)

-Txonä Rolyu

...and I thought my story was disappointing enough :P :(

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 09, 2011, 12:25:05 AM
Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on June 08, 2011, 12:23:24 PM

-Txonä Rolyu

...and I thought my story was disappointing enough :P :(

I don't think I've heard your story.

-Txonä Rolyu

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 06, 2011, 10:45:34 PM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 02:37:02 PM
They need to re-release it back in theaters!! I only got up to 17 :(

I got less than 5 :( :( :(

More specifically, twice for the original, and twice for the SE, so 4 times total.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 09, 2011, 12:33:54 AM

More specifically, twice for the original, and twice for the SE, so 4 times total.

Only 4 times??? Tewti! :o When did you first see it?

Puvomun

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on June 09, 2011, 12:42:29 AM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 09, 2011, 12:33:54 AM

Only 4 times??? Tewti! :o When did you first see it?

Crikey, that is really a few times!  :o

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Oma Tirea

Ngian I still envy those who have seen it some 10+ times :P

Ma Txonä Rolyu, tswola' oe 'awvea krr a tsole'a relit arusikx (probably back in December 2010).

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Toruk Makto

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 01:23:11 PM
I don't understand people who hate the movie though. Well, actually I think I do understand them. They went into the movie WANTING it to fail after all the hype and instead of just watching it and letting themselves become absorbed by it's beauty, they were actively looking for problems.

The types of people I have run into that didn't like the film include ones that related the film to something unpleasant in their own life, or ones that constantly have to have contrary views to appear interesting or different. I tend to sympathize with the first and discard the output of the second. I also wonder if some of them are afraid they will appear mushy or maudlin if they reveal how they really feel. Personally I am proud to be a fan of this film for it's moral and for its technical achievement.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 09, 2011, 12:58:02 AM
Ngian I still envy those who have seen it some 10+ times :P

Why is that, if I may ask? :)

Quote from: Markì on June 09, 2011, 07:31:49 AM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 06, 2011, 01:23:11 PM
I don't understand people who hate the movie though. Well, actually I think I do understand them. They went into the movie WANTING it to fail after all the hype and instead of just watching it and letting themselves become absorbed by it's beauty, they were actively looking for problems.

The types of people I have run into that didn't like the film include ones that related the film to something unpleasant in their own life, or ones that constantly have to have contrary views to appear interesting or different. I tend to sympathize with the first and discard the output of the second. I also wonder if some of them are afraid they will appear mushy or maudlin if they reveal how they really feel. Personally I am proud to be a fan of this film for it's moral and for its technical achievement.

Yes, I also observed this! I actually don't mind if someone dislikes Avatar for valuable reasons. :D However, what I find funny and annoying is people who, like you said, claim they hate it just so they stand out, or to appear "originial". I find that such haters, no matter the film they criticize, are kinda ridiculous because they have no truly convincing argument to base their opinion on and only want to make people talk. Concerning people who are afraid to say openly they like Avatar (or anything else), I find it sad. It's a pity when one is ashamed of himself, it should never happen!

'Itan Atxur

Exactly! There's nothing wrong with not liking Avatar. Not everybody has to share our opinion. But too many people seem to dislike it just for the sake of disliking it.

Puvomun

True. I don't like certain movies as well, so I can understand when people cannot appreciate Avatar. Even when they bring up the lame excuse that it is special effects and nothing more. Not everyone picks up the same from a movie.

But when people who have not seen the movie dare state that it's nothing (and yes, I know some of them), that is when I get annoyed. At moments like that it can be difficult not to go off on a rant against the kind of movie they like. Their addiction to their genre is not as great as mine. They don't learn the langua- oh, they usually know English already. ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Quote from: Puvomun on June 09, 2011, 11:47:10 AM
But when people who have not seen the movie dare state that it's nothing (and yes, I know some of them), that is when I get annoyed. At moments like that it can be difficult not to go off on a rant against the kind of movie they like. Their addiction to their genre is not as great as mine. They don't learn the langua- oh, they usually know English already. ;)

I tend to go off in Na'vi at people like this lol.

Speakinof Na'vi the thing that annoys me the most is actually when people try to tell me Na'vi is not a real language. Ohh I just want to rip em a new one!  >:( Of course ai do my best to remain calm but it truly angers me when people say that. Na'vi may not be spoken by a nation anywhere on earth, it may be a newly constructed language but it is still a language that one can learn and use for communication. Those are irrelevant arguments.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and if I'm getting off topic.

-Txonä Rolyu

Puvomun

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on June 09, 2011, 12:33:07 PM
I tend to go off in Na'vi at people like this lol.

Speakinof Na'vi the thing that annoys me the most is actually when people try to tell me Na'vi is not a real language. Ohh I just want to rip em a new one!  >:( Of course ai do my best to remain calm but it truly angers me when people say that. Na'vi may not be spoken by a nation anywhere on earth, it may be a newly constructed language but it is still a language that one can learn and use for communication. Those are irrelevant arguments.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and if I'm getting off topic.

I don't know if this is off topic. Discussions expand. People are also amazed about me learning Na'vi. But when I tell them that I have conversations in Na'vi with someone from Poland who doesn't do (much) English, they are seriously surprised. Okay, the talks are quite simple, to our level, but they work. nìNa'vi nì'aw.

That is something amazing about Avatar as well, the language. Yes, it is a constructed language, but so is Klingon, Dothraki, and Elfish (Tolkien). Most people know about a few of those and consider those 'okay'. So why would Na'vi be different?

For me the language adds to the wonder of the movie. It is such a rich addition to the story, the people, the culture...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on June 09, 2011, 12:33:07 PMNa'vi may not be spoken by a nation anywhere on earth, it may be a newly constructed language but it is still a language that one can learn and use for communication.

Very true! That's also what I'm trying to explain people, but some of them continue thinking I'm crazy no matter what I tell them. They just don't understand that having a hobby, especially when it is enriching and instructive like this one, is better than sitting around doing nothing. Besides, learning any language makes the learning of an eventual next language easier (so they say), and it keeps the brain trained and active. Now if one learns the most important language on Earth or one that is used on Pandora is fully unimportant! I bet those criticizing people only complain because the Na'vi language is not well known to them and it makes them insecure - but they probably would react the same way if we said we're learning a language of Earth that they don't know about.

Quote from: Puvomun on June 09, 2011, 01:35:40 PMThat is something amazing about Avatar as well, the language. Yes, it is a constructed language, but so is Klingon, Dothraki, and Elfish (Tolkien). Most people know about a few of those and consider those 'okay'. So why would Na'vi be different?

For me the language adds to the wonder of the movie. It is such a rich addition to the story, the people, the culture...

I see what you mean.. From my own experience, I would say that pretty much all constructed languages get a surprised and hesitant response but, although I haven't noticed it myself, perhaps it's true that Na'vi is seen more negatively. Well, wouldn't it be possible that the people's reaction depends on the opinion they have of the respective works or movies associated with the constructed languages? I'm pretty sure someone who loves Star Trek but hates Avatar would find Klingon okay but criticize Na'vi, if you see what I mean. (: I don't know, for me it would probably be the best or most logical explanation! Because the arguments against constructed languages should technically be the same for all of them, kefyak?

Concerning the constructed languages adding to the story, people and culture, I definitely agree! :D I wish everyone would see that. ;)

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Puvomun on June 09, 2011, 01:35:40 PM
That is something amazing about Avatar as well, the language. Yes, it is a constructed language, but so is Klingon, Dothraki, and Elfish (Tolkien). Most people know about a few of those and consider those 'okay'. So why would Na'vi be different?

The only people I know who think those languages are okay also think Na'vi is okay. Are there really people who find one fictional language to be acceptable but not another?

Toruk Makto

Language is disconcerting to some people. Two people having a conversation right out in the open in front of a third that can't understand them is alienating. A constructed language can carry that concept to the point of seeming elitist in the minds of some, so they rebel against it. However, just because a language isn't organically developed doesn't make it any less "real", IMO.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf