Started by Sylwaninismasis, May 06, 2011, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

I agree. Here in Europe it is common for people to know at least one other language. Many know 2 other languages. Speaking English or German over here is not a big thing.
When you know French, people are more surprised (I talk about the Netherlands now). But when you can speak some Chinese as well, that strikes people often as strange, as it is such a "alien" language, even though it developed "organically".

Language, in a way, gives you a power. Even if you know just a bit of it.

Constructed languages are easy to "talk down", because people quickly throw in that it is not "a real language". Well, when I see how many people already speak Na'vi (more or less), then their argument is invalid. Language is a means to communicate, and in Na'vi we can do that.

And all that because James Cameron had the idea of asking someone for a language for his movie. Wou!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

archaic

Quote from: Puvomun on June 10, 2011, 09:01:15 AM

when I see how many people already speak Na'vi

I still aspire to join those who can. Can't yet, but one day, I hope.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kamean

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on June 09, 2011, 12:33:07 PM
Quote from: Puvomun on June 09, 2011, 11:47:10 AM
But when people who have not seen the movie dare state that it's nothing (and yes, I know some of them), that is when I get annoyed. At moments like that it can be difficult not to go off on a rant against the kind of movie they like. Their addiction to their genre is not as great as mine. They don't learn the langua- oh, they usually know English already. ;)

I tend to go off in Na'vi at people like this lol.

Speakinof Na'vi the thing that annoys me the most is actually when people try to tell me Na'vi is not a real language. Ohh I just want to rip em a new one!  >:( Of course ai do my best to remain calm but it truly angers me when people say that. Na'vi may not be spoken by a nation anywhere on earth, it may be a newly constructed language but it is still a language that one can learn and use for communication. Those are irrelevant arguments.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and if I'm getting off topic.

-Txonä Rolyu
Agree
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Puvomun

Quote from: archaic on June 11, 2011, 02:42:41 PM
Quote from: Puvomun on June 10, 2011, 09:01:15 AM

when I see how many people already speak Na'vi

I still aspire to join those who can. Can't yet, but one day, I hope.

Persistence is everything, ma Archaic. My progress is also at a snail's speed, but I keep fighting the infixes and battling the verbs. Somehow I make steps forward. Sometimes it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back, but... keep going!

In the movie the cry was "Makto ko!" Let's ride!
Mine is "Nume ko!" Let's learn!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Puvomun

Quote from: archaic on June 11, 2011, 03:17:20 PM
I like that!

I don't know how archaic you are. I am 51. We can pull this off.
Let's do it.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on June 08, 2011, 12:23:24 PM
You all are making ME jealous! I didn't get to see Avatar till March 23, 2010! (longish sad story there) I never got a chance to get all those theater viewings in. I don't have any of those memories from December and early January of people's reactions in the theaters. To date I have only seen Avatar about 14 times  :'( Sure I'm good with the language, but I still wish I had seen Avatar back in Dec 09 when I was supposed to. (Again, longish sad story)

-Txonä Rolyu

Meh, I know people who never got to see it in the theater. More specifically, my cousins, whose family was going to watch it in the theatre, then someone suddenly decided that there grandparents should come, which affected the movie choice.. They ended up watching a movie that is a strong candidate for being the worst movie ever produced instead of Avatar..

They never saw it until I got the Bluray. :/

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on June 12, 2011, 07:51:29 PM
You all are making ME jealous! I didn't get to see Avatar till March 23, 2010! (longish sad story there) I never got a chance to get all those theater viewings in. I don't have any of those memories from December and early January of people's reactions in the theaters. To date I have only seen Avatar about 14 times  :'( Sure I'm good with the language, but I still wish I had seen Avatar back in Dec 09 when I was supposed to. (Again, longish sad story)

-Txonä Rolyu

Meh, I know people who never got to see it in the theater. More specifically, my cousins, whose family was going to watch it in the theatre, then someone suddenly decided that there grandparents should come, which affected the movie choice.. They ended up watching a movie that is a strong candidate for being the worst movie ever produced instead of Avatar..

Hm, well that's pretty sad too. With me, I was supposed to see Avatar the day after it came out in theaters, but the night before when I was waiting for my train home from work, my bus pass was stolen. The next day, instead of watching Avatar, I got to watch security cam footage of my pass being stolen again and again and again and.....ugh, yeah. I know there are people out there who never got to see it in theaters but I will never stop feeling sad (or angry) about this. I could have avoided it too if I had either 1) not been wearing my bus pass out where everyone and their mom can see it (skxawng, I know) or 2) walked to the other end of the platform away from the people who were getting uncomfortably close....the people who took my pass.

But yeah...that's my story. I am glad that I did get to see it in theaters eventually, but I will never stop feeling angry at myself for being an idiot, the people who took my pass for...taking my pass, and sad because I didn't see Avatar sooner. Sorry if I sound whiny.

Quote from: Puvomun on June 11, 2011, 02:55:56 PM
Mine is "Nume ko!" Let's learn!

I like that too :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on June 12, 2011, 07:51:29 PM

-Txonä Rolyu

What movie? My dad and I went to see it w/o planning it once and guess what!! It was sold out. We watched 2012 and at the time, I thought we'd probably seen the better of the two movies and wasn't disappointed in the least. Didn't see Avatar for another few weeks.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Human No More

I didn't think anyone considered '2012' good :P

As for a real language, I've only had that argument once, I just pointed them to the definition of language and the full grammar for Na'vi and they rapidly shut up, they had no response at all ;D
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

'Itan Atxur

I actually like 2012 quite a bit. I went into it expecting very shallow characters/story and LOTS of cgi action and got exactly that. I went into Avatar with even lower expectations and was blown away.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE