Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, May 06, 2012, 02:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

JC has considered to make a fourth Avatar movie

This is going to be epic, we have a lot to look forward to

From NY Times:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/05/james-cameron-on-chinese-filmmakers-censorship-and-potential-co-productions/

http://filmonic.com/avatar-4-also-being-considered-by-james-cameron

James Cameron, director of "Titanic" and "Avatar," among other well-known movies, visited Beijing in mid-April for the Beijing International Film Festival. The festival was screening the 3-D version of "Titanic," which had recently opened in theaters here. More important, Mr. Cameron was here to meet with people in the Chinese film industry to talk about doing joint productions and getting greater distribution for his 3-D films, which use technology developed by Cameron Pace Group, or C.P.G.

China has a strict limit on the number of foreign films allowed to be shown in theaters here, although that number was raised in February when Chinese officials announced an agreement with Hollywood studio executives during a trip to the United States by Xi Jinping, the vice president and presumed next leader of China (and reportedly a fan of Hollywood World War II films).

On April 22, the day after his arrival in Beijing, Mr. Cameron talked about his projects and the Chinese film industry in an interview with The New York Times and The Economist. (The interview took place before it was reported that regulators in the United States were looking into whether American studios might have made improper payments to Chinese officials, so that was not a topic of discussion). Edited and condensed excerpts from the interview follow.

Question: How far are you along in working on the "Avatar" sequels?

Answer: We've spent the last year and a half on software development and pipeline development. The virtual production methodology was extremely prototypical on the first film. As then, no one had ever done it before and we didn't even know for two and half years into it and $100 million into it if it was going to work. So we just wanted to make our lives a whole lot easier so that we can spend a little more of our brainpower on creativity. It was a very, very uphill battle on the first film. So we've been mostly working on the tool set, the production pipeline, setting up the new stages in Los Angeles, setting up the new visual effects pipeline in New Zealand, that sort of thing. And, by the way, writing. We haven't gotten to the design stage yet. That'll be the next.

Question: Would any part of the sequels – I mean two, three, or a possible four – be done partly in China?

Answer: It's conceivable. You know, one of the things I want to explore while I'm here is the idea of co-production on those films, but it's a slightly different case because they're studio films. There were zero... I can't say zero exteriors. We did one night in the parking lot next to the sound stage. But there were no locations.

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Kamean

I really hope that it will. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

nataliapop

I'm realy happy when any avatar's part apears but I'm scarred that will be like with shrek. Everybody were impressed of first part, secound too "becouse it is sequel", third was a little boring, and nobody wanted go to cinema to see fourth part. Isn't it? What do You think about it?

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: nataliapop on May 07, 2012, 10:09:32 AM
I'm realy happy when any avatar's part apears but I'm scarred that will be like with shrek. Everybody were impressed of first part, secound too "becouse it is sequel", third was a little boring, and nobody wanted go to cinema to see fourth part. Isn't it? What do You think about it?

I think the third and the fourth will be pretty good sequels

I've heard that JC is only concentrating now on the sequels, not on other movies

Human No More

I just hope it doesn't become a Star Wars prequel trilogy/Star Trek XI "Shake as much money out as you can and insult the series proper".

If it's because 2/3 have become even longer, or it's a well made and thought out non-afterthought prequel though, then great :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

HNM: I completely agree. Please feel free to post something like that on my thread too. :P

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Avatar 4 is confirmed :) it will be a prequel, it will go back to the early expeditions of Pandora and kind of what went wrong with the humans

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1693478/james-cameron-avatar-4.jhtml

I like this story, first I never thought it was going to be like this, but I like it :)

This is a part of the whole thing that I would love to see and have explored. I am glad for this. I had expected this stuff to be in the book James was planning on writing instead of an entire movie. Perhaps in THIS movie, we might see young Sylwanin? I expect it will span a LARGE amount of time, with the landing on Pandora and a few curious Na'vi poking at the probe with spears... then jump again to the first inter-stellar vessel arriving in orbit and the first exploratory vessels and humans in full suits to test the atmosphere and water to see if it is habitable... and then finally, the construction crew.

With some of the thought processes in the game (XBOX 360) and that it takes place elsewhere on Pandora, maybe we might see some of these characters and or plot?

And naturally, I expect one local clan to befriend the humans... (to their peril). Possibly humans abduct a few of the Na'vi youth and spirit them back to Earth so the Avatar process might be studied?

So many possibilities for a prequel. I LOVE it.

Human No More

I'd still like to read it as a book...
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman