The Oculus Rift

Started by Raiden, September 07, 2013, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiden

WARNING: Video is more or less NSFW, because there are mostly-naked human 3D models in it.

HydraDeck Humans

This video clearly shows the ability of the Oculus Rift to create realistic models of bipedal organisms.

I think that this could produce some interesting results when coupled with material from the Avatar universe, because of how easy it would be to combine it with motion capture technology.

What do the rest of you think?
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

CyanRachel

Wow! Irayo, Raiden, for sharing this here!
That's some pretty awesome stuff! Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if it ends up being used together with Mo-Cap tech in some way.  :)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

'Itan Atxur

You know, I've always just thought of the Rift as a REALLY cool gimmick. This video for some reason helped me grasp just how amazing the Rift can be.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

bommel

I've seen this thing in real life at GDC Europe and Gamescom. Pretty impressive!

'Itan Atxur

I hope some software developers strike a deal with them so they can knock the price down a bit. $300 keeps it firmly in the "luxury" category for me :(

allrock123

Having tryed past VR headset experences I can say there are real some challenges to be worked out , Because this
type oh hardware does create such a visual imersive experence it also can create some rather unplesent
motion sickness issues as ones inner ear and what one "sees" do not add up, as one looks around the virtual world
and the 3D image shifts perspective ones brain expects there to be forces of motion to reflect this movement
unless one "also" has a very accurate motion based platform to convay those forces one can expect physiollogical reactions which usuly involve motion sickness issues, its true over time "some" can learn to adjust to this but it takes time , I know they are working
on this but it realy puts a damper on ones experence if one spends several hours not feeling well after each experence, I think more work also needs to be done on eye tracker true depth of field 3D,where the visual system "reacts" on the fly to the viewers choise of focal point in the 3D scene space.. game developers like 3D filmmakers will have to learn what the brain will put up with and I know they are working on it unless this platform takes this into account it will not be very sucessful. its true one can create some very unique imersive experences it could also make 3D films come alive
because these devices it can present each eye with a unique image at the "same time" , one of the weakness that stereoscopic 3D
suffers from in the film world is a 'locked perspective" if through technoligy they can render on the fly and react to the viewers shifting viewpoint in the scene space it would get rid of a lot of the stress of viewing 3D content dealing with
motion like driving a car in a racing game will be quite a challenge.    

MaTe

The easy solution to mitigate head rotation is to render more than fits on displays and use gyro to pan images around at faster FPS than renderer can provide. simple post processing can also add minor motion blur.
For translation, a more complex solution would be needed... probably a simple version of scene geometry, together with half-remdered textures and all lighting effects already applied. Anyway, this would not be easy...
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

'Itan Atxur

Motion blur looks horrible in all the 3D games I've played. The only way it could work would be if motion blur was applied to the individual objects being rendered and not just a 2D filter applied to the camera. 2D motion blur being rendered in 3D looks like a layer of plastic wrap has been put over your eyes. Plus, in all honesty even when I play in 2D I always disable motion blur because it's such an artificial effect. When I movie my head quickly in real life things don't become a blurry mess. I think what you said about rendering things off the screen and higher FPS than the display would work fine though.