Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Ningey

Oh, just great! >:(
However, that perfectly fits the picture of mankind as drawn by Avatar - which ironically is the most pirated movie.

I mean, it's disgusting how selfish people can become. If there were no illegal downloads, such sites simply wouldn't exist! >:(

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Yayo

You must admit though, if Avatar wasn't number one, you all wouldn't be angry.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

ExLibrisMortis

Ha! This is great news! This just shows how popular Avatar not only was, but still is!

With movies and media you always expect piracy. Always. You can never not expect it. Nevertheless this is a great indicator of just how well each of the movies are doing.

Kamean

QuoteNevertheless this is a great indicator of just how well each of the movies are doing.
Pirate indicator. ;D
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

For the sake of James Cameron, I am sorry about this.  For the sake of human continuity, I am pleased with the proliferation of Avatar's story and its effect as a parable for our time.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 15, 2011, 04:32:16 PM
For the sake of James Cameron, I am sorry about this.  For the sake of human continuity, I am pleased with the proliferation of Avatar's story and its effect as a parable for our time.

Ngahu mllte nìwotx.  What's worse is if people are pirating and ignoring AVATAR's messages, which may well be the case....

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ningey

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on October 16, 2011, 12:12:27 AM

Ngahu mllte nìwotx.  What's worse is if people are pirating and ignoring AVATAR's messages, which may well be the case....

You bet it is! I fear that most people are merely interested in entertainment. Take a movie (or any story - it could also be a book, etc.) with a message behind it and ask any random people what that movie wants to tell us. I fear for the worst...

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

-- Benjamin Franklin

Seze Mune

Quote from: Ningey on October 16, 2011, 05:01:35 AM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on October 16, 2011, 12:12:27 AM

You bet it is! I fear that most people are merely interested in entertainment. Take a movie (or any story - it could also be a book, etc.) with a message behind it and ask any random people what that movie wants to tell us. I fear for the worst...

Hmm.  Random thoughts here.

Politics is entertainment, and LOTS of people seem to get caught up in that.  Star Wars (particularly the first trilogy) was an epic mythologic counterpart of the Arab Spring on some levels and a proper sociological/cultural/anthropological study might show some striking connections.

I see Avatar similarly. On some levels it is entertainment, but it is popular because it speaks to deeper portions of us.  There is no telling what portion of Avatar's multilayered themes gets lodged in one's mind, gathering similar bits around it until it blooms into activity at a later point in time.  I am optimistic.  Still sorry for Mr. Cameron on one level, but happy for his growing legacy at another.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Okay, this probably doesn't have that much impact on this score, but Avatar was also the most player incompatible movie of all time when it comes to the BD platform. I get generally more pissed of when the corporate greed punishes the paying customer more than the pirate. (This is a much larger issue in the gaming market though)

Also, the movie made almost $ 3 000 000 000 in cinemas, I think they'll survive..

Seze Mune

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on October 16, 2011, 06:27:00 PM

Also, the movie made almost $ 3 000 000 000 in cinemas, I think they'll survive..

Just barely....    ;D

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Yayo on October 14, 2011, 10:14:30 PM

No, I'd still be angry. Pirating Avatar goes completely against everything it stands for. It may have made billions in the box office, but still I think this is a disgrace to its message.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

ExLibrisMortis

Isn't the message anti-mega-corps? With fox being one of the largest entertainment industry giants... wouldn't the piracy follow suit?

[/devil's advocate]

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Eh...maybe. Avatar's message as I understand it is to be kind to the world around you, live at one with it, love it, respect it, don't take more than you need and be thankful for what you do take.

Piracy goes against this IMO. I don't think the pirates are respectful to the world around them or only taking that which they need and being thankful for what they take. Just my thoughts.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

archaic

Or Avatars message could be anti-racist.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ningey

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on October 17, 2011, 04:10:51 AM
Eh...maybe. Avatar's message as I understand it is to be kind to the world around you, live at one with it, love it, respect it, don't take more than you need and be thankful for what you do take.

Piracy goes against this IMO. I don't think the pirates are respectful to the world around them or only taking that which they need and being thankful for what they take. Just my thoughts.

-Txonä Rolyu

100% agreed.
Pirates, if not selfish, are at least ignorant - as are those who download illegally (although I'm more inclined towards considering them greedy) since they are the ones who make it worth the effort for any pirates.
The honest people are the ones who have to pay the bill, though... >:(

EDIT:
Quote from: archaic on October 17, 2011, 05:26:24 AM
Or Avatars message could be anti-racist.

That's another vantage point on the message the movie wants to tell - but that's not what causes the conflict with piracy (or at least not that strong). As Txonä Rolyu pointed out the more adverse effect is on the message that you should be in tune with the world instead of destroying it. That's the point made moot by any such actions.

-- Albert Einstein

-- Benjamin Franklin

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Yayo on October 14, 2011, 10:14:30 PM

Actually yes I would, and am. Pirating is pirating, regardless of the material being stolen.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Seze Mune

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on October 17, 2011, 04:10:51 AM

-Txonä Rolyu

I agree that what you say is part of the message of Avatar.  In my opinion, there are multiple themes though.  Others I see are self sacrifice (Tsu'tey, Neytiri, Trudy, Jake and others are featured in this), anti-military, anti-megacorporations, environmentalism, anti-racism, love, forgiveness, redemption...and more).

I don't mean to condone piracy.  It's wrong without a doubt.  However that doesn't mean that some good can't come out of it.  Consider any evil action, and follow the dominoes it tips.....very often it sparks some good in the world.  Casey Anthony's heinous actions led to certain laws intended to prevent a reoccurrence of such an event for example.

Again, piracy is wrong and I wish it could be prevented.  Even if I knew how to d/l something illegally, I wouldn't do it.  But it's also good to keep in mind that not all the effects of an evil or improper action are equally heinous.

Ningey

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 17, 2011, 08:52:12 AM
I agree that what you say is part of the message of Avatar.  In my opinion, there are multiple themes though.  Others I see are self sacrifice (Tsu'tey, Neytiri, Trudy, Jake and others are featured in this), anti-military, anti-megacorporations, environmentalism, anti-racism, love, forgiveness, redemption...and more).

I don't mean to condone piracy.  It's wrong without a doubt.  However that doesn't mean that some good can't come out of it.  Consider any evil action, and follow the dominoes it tips.....very often it sparks some good in the world.  Casey Anthony's heinous actions led to certain laws intended to prevent a reoccurrence of such an event for example.

Again, piracy is wrong and I wish it could be prevented.  Even if I knew how to d/l something illegally, I wouldn't do it.  But it's also good to keep in mind that not all the effects of an evil or improper action are equally heinous.

So everything eventually boils down to one thing that is inherent in all those things and messages: Not to be selfish.
When we have a close look, the main source for misery is people being selfish - or at the more extreme self-centered. However, when any two selfish people meet for whatever reason, trouble is in the offing.
Furthermore, if you take into account those things that also cause a lot of problems and misery - I'm talking about miserliness, jealousy, and greed, which, although distinct traits, fit together extremely well - you will eventually end up with selfishness again.

That's the gist here - pirates are rarely (if ever) of the selfless kind, but are at least ignorant of what they are doing to others or outright selfish. That's where the big bang eventually comes from - and here's the collision point with many of the messages Avatar wants to deliver.
Unfortunately, since those ayskxawng don't seem to notice what they are doing (EDIT: I'm talking about both the pirates and the fellows who download illegaly), one would have to become outright Anvilicious in order to make them notice.

And exactly that's the point that gets me riled!

-- Albert Einstein

-- Benjamin Franklin