Do trees communicate?

Started by Puvomun, December 04, 2011, 11:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

I found a very interesting link. http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=2764

Mother Trees Connect the Forest

Don't trees only talk to each other in the movies? Professor Suzanne Simard shares her latest research regarding forest ecosystems here. Amazingly, we find that in a forest, 1+1 equals more than 2, as all trees are interconnected with the largest, oldest, "mother trees" serving as hubs. The underground exchange of nutrients increases the survival of younger trees linked into the network of old trees in this fascinating, real-life model of forest resilience and regeneration.

There is a 4min 50sec video on the page that explains about this. I could not help but seeing Dr Grace talk to Selfridge, about the connections of the trees, and then Dr Simard mentioned 'neural connections', which made me post this link here.

Eywa is here too, people. We just need eyes, ears and our other senses to see and hear her.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sherilyn

Yes indeed, she's called Gaia.  Have you heard of ley lines (I imagine you have, though perhaps under a different name)?  Many sacred sites were created on the hubs (vortices) of these ley lines; Stonehenge, the pyramids of Egypt, the Nazca lines, etc..  They crisscross the entire earth.  I have a few books on them, interesting stuff.

http://www.pauldevereux.co.uk/new/html/body_leylines.html
Leylines in Netherlands:  http://www.leylijnen.com/strongleylines.htm
http://www.ofspiritandsoul.com/earth%20vortices/vortices.html
http://www.vortexmaps.com/irley.php
http://www.angelfire.com/in/RajunasRefuge/leylines.html
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Ley_line

Puvomun

Yes, I know of ley lines. In dutch they are called lei-lijnen, and there are a few strong ones around here. It is magnificent to be near them.
I have been at Stonehenge last year, and inside a few pyramids too, the great pyraimid in Gizeh was amazing...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

archaic

I would like this to be true. Trouble is, I could envision other mechanisms that wold produce the much the same effects. This is an area that needs further study, Imho.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tsmuktengan

This makes me think of the Gaia theories (I still have to finish this book). But it seems like this lacks some solid scientific proofs. So I still have my doubts about this. Are there serious scientific studies about this?

Puvomun

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on December 04, 2011, 02:16:15 PM
This makes me think of the Gaia theories (I still have to finish this book). But it seems like this lacks some solid scientific proofs. So I still have my doubts about this. Are there serious scientific studies about this?

Depends on what you call scientific. As the text says: "Professor Suzanne Simard shares her latest research regarding forest ecosystems"
She is a professor, and is it research...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sherilyn

Quote from: Puvomun on December 04, 2011, 12:13:03 PM
Yes, I know of ley lines. In dutch they are called lei-lijnen, and there are a few strong ones around here. It is magnificent to be near them.
I have been at Stonehenge last year, and inside a few pyramids too, the great pyraimid in Gizeh was amazing...

I thought you were probably aware of them.   :)
I was at Stonehenge ages ago, 1986, I think, or '87.  Haven't been to the pyramids, but would love to.  I've read that there is a vortex at the source of the Ganges as well.  Yes, I saw that there are two strong, positive lines near you.  That's a good thing.

Sezetirea216

Idk, the exchange of nutrients is different than an actual connected mother of nature like Eyaw, at least in my opinion. Has anyone read Brisingr? There is a tree in the Elven forest which is supposedly an elf who turned herself into a tree in order to watch over the forest. It seems kind like Eywa except not on global level
Oe mäkxu ma nikre ne'ìm ulte kulat

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The aspen trees that grow in the mountains here are known for their interconnected root systems. In fact, this is the main mechanism by which they propagate. If they signal between each other, it is most likely by hormones, which is not a fast way to communicate.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Puvomun

Quote from: Sezetirea216 on December 04, 2011, 05:46:02 PM
Idk, the exchange of nutrients is different than an actual connected mother of nature like Eyaw, at least in my opinion. Has anyone read Brisingr? There is a tree in the Elven forest which is supposedly an elf who turned herself into a tree in order to watch over the forest. It seems kind like Eywa except not on global level

In the Druid tradition (Paganism) there are many places which are said where Dryads are living in the trees, enabling the communication between trees and occasionally also between nature and humans.
I think these things are all easy(easier) ways to 'understand' that there is communication possible.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Quote from: Sezetirea216 on December 04, 2011, 05:46:02 PM

It's a start, at the very least. If left to evolve, it would be interesting to see how these evolve in the future. Maybe nutrients is a small step to other molecules like hormones, to eventually becoming synapses. Just like certain organelles of cells were hypothesized to be their own cells in the past, maybe individual trees will evolve to become something bigger.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Tsmuktengan

This is impressive. I hardly conceived this before.

I do not clearly remember who told be that, but a certain kind of tree in Africa is able to know if his leaves and branches are affected in some way (consumed by giraffes), and it would communicate to other trees there is a danger. Within hours, the tree and all the ones of the same group in the location would become slightly poisonous and repeal the giraffes that started eating them.

Puvomun

I am convinced that more parts of nature, if not all of them, communicate. We as the human race are at this point just too ignorant and blind (Sky people cannot learn, they do not see) to pick that up. We rely on ears, eyes, touch and smell, and that's about it.
Anything finer than those crude senses and most of 'us' are lost in translation (literally). And that still only happens when we manage to pick it up.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sherilyn

Some of us are relearning to See and teaching our kids that Seeing is not a bad thing and that one isn't cursed because one can See.

;D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

There is no question in my mind that animals, especially, can kame. A few years back, I was involved in a situation where there was a dying tiger. There was, at the same facility, a lion who was the tiger's friend. While the staff was attending to this tiger (which was going downhill despite their best efforts to save it), the lion was in another yard where it could not see what was going on. It was observed by some of the bystanders who were there that the lion 'made a sound they had never heard it make before' at the same the tiger actually died.

At another facility, there was a lioness who was 'best friends' with the facility's owner. The owner was working in the garage with power tools, and somehow sustained a serious injury to the head. Someone outside observed this lioness go absolutely nuts at about the same time, even though there was no physical way she could have known that her friend was injured. (Sadly, this lioness died a couple of weeks ago :-( , and the owner is now nearly 'dead to the world' with dementia from old age).

I have watched quite a number of lion kills on large, intelligent animals. It seems that beyond a certain point that the victim can be very much alive, but apparently not suffering to any great degree. One kill video I have seen shows the lions have at least partially eviscerated a zebra that is definitely still alive. The zebra is occasionally making weak but coordinated escaping motions with its legs (well beyond reflex motion that often occurs right after death), but it is not at all responding in the way you would expect it to respond from the acute pain from having its belly ripped open. Infrequently do you see prey struggling much against even one lion. At least one human who was being killed by a lion and who managed to escape reported that there was no pain from the lion's teeth, even though he was badly wounded in the process. In contrast, prey animals will struggle to get away from hyenas and dogs (who simply eat you to death) until they have no strength left with which to struggle. In fact, it is said that prey animals fear dogs far worse than they fear lions. The conclucion here is that lions are somehow able to project some sort of calming influence on their prey while killing it to alleviate suffering, which in turn causes struggling to get away from a painful stimuli. This may be a survival mechanism more than being 'humane' because the sooner a prey item stops struggling, the sooner one may begin to eat.

There are people who can kame into the animal world and experience some of this 'unexplainable' communication that happens between (especially higher) living things. I (and many others) can do this just a little bit, but not as much as the animals can.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Human No More

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Nobody ever mentions the 99.9999% of occurrences where this doesn't happen. It's like the way when someone phones or whatever and the recepient might go 'I was just thinking about you' - the other hundreds to thousands of times they don't, nothing happens.

The idea may be interesting, but it ieeds to be properly testable rather than just based on subjective experience.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Human No More on December 09, 2011, 06:47:19 AM

Nobody ever mentions the 99.9999% of occurrences where this doesn't happen. It's like the way when someone phones or whatever and the recepient might go 'I was just thinking about you' - the other hundreds to thousands of times they don't, nothing happens.

The idea may be interesting, but it ieeds to be properly testable rather than just based on subjective experience.

I do think this as well. Otherwise it would be quite easy to be mystical.

Puvomun

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on December 09, 2011, 09:00:32 PM
Quote from: Human No More on December 09, 2011, 06:47:19 AM

I do think this as well. Otherwise it would be quite easy to be mystical.

This is why she does research, to see if it is testable, reproducable, if there if a way to prove this beyond doubt. That is how all kinds of things were discovered. It was assumed that people could not survive in a train carriage if it went faster than 30 or so mph, because all air would be squeezed from it taluna the pressure. It was not until someone proved that it is safe that this notion changed.
Just because something is not proven, it does not mean it does not exist.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

archaic

"taluna" ?
You know you've been studying Na'vi too long when .....

;) ;D
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.