Favorite Scene On Special Edition (Spoilers!!!)

Started by tsamna, August 27, 2010, 04:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsamna

My new favorite is when they are hunting sturmbeast. When Jake yells, "Hell Yeah!" and then neytiri yells it. :)
Go climbing, its better for you than xbox.

WoundedWarsong

Yeah, that whole sequence was win. The aftermath of the attack on the bulldozers was good because it helped explain why the RDA were so heavy handed attacking hometree. Also, poor Tsu'tey  >:(
Calm like a bomb

tsamna

I only barley saw the end of the bulldozer attack because i had to go to the bathroom really bad and didn't think new stuff was coming. I'll have to see it again.
Go climbing, its better for you than xbox.

Txur’Itan

I saw all of the new scenes, and I liked the School/Bulldozer/Hunt/Extra Tsu'Tey scene additions the most.

I thought the other extras were cool.

I did not necessarily like the quality of the Jump insert of the flyby on the sturmbeests when they were first flying out into the wilderness.

And I was able to forgive it for happeneing when they reused the same musical scoring from the battle sequence during the sturmbeest hunt, but it would have been nice if they stuck to the musical formulations from the origioinal release, where they had 4/4 time for the RDA, and 6/4 for the Na'vi. And slower tempo for the previous and following sequences.
私は太った男だ。

Ekirä

Oh my god. Just got home. THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. I love this movie so much!!!!!!

I especially liked the added part in the love scene--when Jake and Neytiri connected queues. It made me wonder why it wasn't in the original release....I thought it was so deeply emotional and well played. Amazing. I also agree with Tsamna, the hunt scene was really cool. Especially when Neytiri echoes Jake. Love that. :D Tsu'tey's death was very meaningful, but I can see why it wasn't in the original.

I was really struck by how many new scenes there were! It felt like a ton more than 8 minutes, and I would get a little thrill of pleasure when the movie took an unexpected turn. ;D

Payä Tìrol

Quote from: NeytiriHELL YEAH!
That made me laugh :P

This looks like it's becoming the main discussion thread, so I'll repost or something :P
Only complaint was that the transition to the hunt scene was a bit jarring, since I was expecting the calm-ish music of the start of the Toruk scene, but I'm guessing that all JC had to work with was completed post-production materials, so it's understandable :P

I can why they cut some of the scenes in the SE from the original, but the scenes at the school, and the added scene with the Na'vi attack on the bulldozer with Wainfleet and Quaritch emphasized that Quaritch was doing this to justify an attack on Kelutral to Parker.

Slightly disappointed that they brought up Grace's school without bringing up Neytiri's sister :/

The Tsu'tey scene was powerful... no idea why they cut it.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Eanikran

Hrh, oe wish I would have seen this thread before I started mine =p

But srane, my favorites would have to be the hunting party and tsu'tey's death. I have to say I had to fight the urge to fall apart though,it was really hard.

Ekirä

Quote from: Na'rìnga Taronyu on August 27, 2010, 09:25:53 PMBut srane, my favorites would have to be the hunting party and tsu'tey's death. I have to say I had to fight the urge to fall apart though,it was really hard.

I cried. But I'm not a guy. :D It was impossible not to.....and it felt good to cry, like holding back tears would just make my throat ache unnecessarily. What I loved that the theater was so incredibly quiet the whole time, there were a few chuckles but all the people were reverently silent. :)

Ngima Nikre

I just went to see it for the first time (for me) in theaters, and the fact that it was the special edition made it even better.  ;D I hadn't felt that emotional since I saw it the very first time. Overall, excellent in every way.
My favorite addition had to be the love scene, as in my opinion it made it more complete, but the addition of the school house left me with another question, which I felt wasn't answered: what happened there for there to be bullet holes in the framing?

Payä Tìrol

Basically, Sylwanin, Neytiri's older sister, and a couple of other Na'vi children decided to try and stop the RDA by setting fire to one of the bulldozers. I believe they succeeded, but ended up being pursued by the RDA. Hoping that Grace would protect them, they ran to the schoolhouse, but Grace was unable to do anything before they were killed. The Omatikaya stopped communicating with Grace afterwards, and this is the event Grace was talking about during her conversation with Parker.

Ekirä

Quote from: Ngima Nikre on August 27, 2010, 09:52:01 PMMy favorite addition had to be the love scene, as in my opinion it made it more complete, but the addition of the school house left me with another question, which I felt wasn't answered: what happened there for there to be bullet holes in the framing?

Ah, as for that, you need to read the script. Payä basically explained it, but here's something just copy and pasted from JC's 2007 script:

Ngima Nikre

Quote from: Ekirä on August 27, 2010, 10:00:40 PM
Quote from: Ngima Nikre on August 27, 2010, 09:52:01 PMMy favorite addition had to be the love scene, as in my opinion it made it more complete, but the addition of the school house left me with another question, which I felt wasn't answered: what happened there for there to be bullet holes in the framing?

Ah, as for that, you need to read the script. Payä basically explained it, but here's something just copy and pasted from JC's 2007 script:

*snip*

It's funny because I actually found and read the script shortly after I posted that; too bad that it didn't make it into the re-release, though :-\ Can't have everything, I guess ;)

Human No More

Jake and Neytiri's love scene... so beautiful, and really makes me wish I was Jake there... :'(
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Zhowìntll

I was surprised by how much of the new footage I liked. I really liked most of the new footage in the "Special Edition".

However, I can see why it was cut. The sturmbeast hunt scene is the perfect example. The scene, in and of itself, is pretty sweet. But it kind of pulls us out of the narrative. Here we have this wonderful scene/montage of Jake taking his first flight -- that's our high point of the story, and from there the story needs to progress to what comes next. For me, it's perfect for Jake's first flight to be followed by Neytiri telling him about the legend of Toruk Makto, and then Quaritch comes knocking to remind Jake of what he was brought here for. The sturmbeast scene, as awesome as it is, does not move the greater story forward, and I think Cameron made the correct decision cutting it from the original theatrical release.

The one exception, in my opinion, is the early scene in Dr. Grace's schoolhouse. I really liked that scene, and I think it should have been in the original theatrical release.

Ngawng

Ma tsamna that's my favourite too. HELL YEAH!

29.f.australia

Human No More

Quote from: Zhowìntll on August 28, 2010, 07:42:25 PM
I was surprised by how much of the new footage I liked. I really liked most of the new footage in the "Special Edition".

However, I can see why it was cut. The sturmbeast hunt scene is the perfect example. The scene, in and of itself, is pretty sweet. But it kind of pulls us out of the narrative. Here we have this wonderful scene/montage of Jake taking his first flight -- that's our high point of the story, and from there the story needs to progress to what comes next. For me, it's perfect for Jake's first flight to be followed by Neytiri telling him about the legend of Toruk Makto, and then Quaritch comes knocking to remind Jake of what he was brought here for. The sturmbeast scene, as awesome as it is, does not move the greater story forward, and I think Cameron made the correct decision cutting it from the original theatrical release.

The one exception, in my opinion, is the early scene in Dr. Grace's schoolhouse. I really liked that scene, and I think it should have been in the original theatrical release.
hmm, I think it makes sense to be in there, as it shows Jake participating as a full member of the clan  :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Kìte'eyä Aungia

I liked the school scene the most because it explains why Grace is so cold and unapproachable, which adds depth to her character. I think they removed way too much backstory and development from the characters in the original cut.

Payä Tìrol

And there's still -even- more backstory that got cut, and which will probably never be seen completed. It's a shame but the movie really was inching on a reasonable upper time limit for feature films, and a ton of people (none of us!) really don't care. They're there for a decent story with good effects, that will make the 10-20 bucks they spent per ticket feel worth it.
That the SE scenes that got cut were cut was probably a good decision.

I just also realized that I -never- would have said that previous sentence that way before learning Na'vi... >_>

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ekirä

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on August 30, 2010, 11:52:13 PM
...ulte srane, oe omängum that the whole script wasn't used, but that whatcha get when only 170m (2h and 50m) of runtime is available in those reels.[/spoiler]

Certainly the longest movie I've ever seen. But I wouldn't complain if it was longer!