What is te best bow to get?

Started by Sezetirea216, December 19, 2011, 04:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sezetirea216

It's Christmas time! Which means I finally get to pick a bow! What are your suggestions? I want a recurve bow but it has to be inexpensive and not have too much draw weight since I'm only thriteen
Oe mäkxu ma nikre ne'ìm ulte kulat

Puvomun

This probably comes a bit late, but it would seriously be the best option to go to a store and try out the several bows. There is no telling what works for someone, and brand names alone are not what you feel in your hand, back and shoulders when you pull the string.

Size is important, as is the length of the arrows, and the weight matters as well.

Good luck. I am curious what you got or will get.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

A question: Are you getting a bow to 'look Na'vi', or are you getting a bow to regularly shoot, and become proficient with? I am assuming overall that you are looking for a simple bow.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

My first bow was a fiberglass recurve and had a twenty pound pull.
I was thinking of getting a bow for myself.
I guess I too will be searching!

archaic

After a discrete word with someone I know, a recurve bow would be good.
You need to find out which eye is dominant and choose a left or right handed bow from that, not whether you are left or right handed.
Consider a second hand one if finances are any kind of issue.
Go for one with changeable limbs, start with a low draw weight, and build from there when you get experienced.
They also recommended joining a club/forum, at a club you can try different draw weights too, as well as getting useful hints and tips.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Puvomun

Quote from: archaic on December 29, 2011, 03:55:21 PM
You need to find out which eye is dominant and choose a left or right handed bow from that, not whether you are left or right handed.

Oh? That is new for me, but it makes sense.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sezetirea216

Thanks so much guys! And none of you are late at all, I'm still debating on what to get. And I am wanting to get a bow to shoot and practice archery. I think I found a good one from Dicks sporting goods and I will go there/order it online (now I want to go there to make shureit is good for me) and am Hoping to get it delivered soon :) thanks for you previous and hopefully continued help on this sure badass sure to be life changing purchase!
Oe mäkxu ma nikre ne'ìm ulte kulat

Puvomun

Quote from: Sezetirea216 on December 29, 2011, 11:52:01 PM
Thanks so much guys! And none of you are late at all, I'm still debating on what to get. And I am wanting to get a bow to shoot and practice archery. I think I found a good one from Dicks sporting goods and I will go there/order it online (now I want to go there to make shureit is good for me) and am Hoping to get it delivered soon :) thanks for you previous and hopefully continued help on this sure badass sure to be life changing purchase!

Yes, if you can go there, then go there. The size and weight are very important. Try a few. Good luck!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

OK, so you are getting a bow to learn archery with. Good! All the advice here is solid. I will add some sporting goods stores (Cabela's is one) have indoor ranges so you can try before you buy.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Amaya

Because of your age, I have one VERY IMPORTANT thing to stress (even though it's been mentioned before, it can't be overstressed)  Unless you get a takedown bow (otherwise known as one whose limbs can be "switched out" to change their length/draw weight) you are going to be buying a series of bows over the next five to ten years, which can get expensive.

Also, where are you going to be shooting?  If there is a range or club you are planning on joining, you may want to enquire as to whether they have light draw-weight bows that young archers can use (since it's not likely that you'll have an appropriate area for shooting at home).  I know that at least in the case of our local archery club they actually prefer that young archers do this, since they will go through so many changes as they mature.

The only other thing that I haven't seen mentioned here but is important.  The first thing I learned on the first day of my high-school archery club (after I learned that I didn't have a dominant eye) was NEVER to start learning to shoot with any kind of sight.  It will make you dependant on using a sight the rest of your archery career.  Learn to shoot naturally first, then when you do go get a sight it will only be enhancing the instinctual, internalized skill you will already have to find the target.