If it were real...

Started by Aka`ula, February 19, 2017, 07:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka`ula

This question has been probably brought up for nearly all worlds, but if you could live there, would you?  :ikran:

But here of coarse, the question is, would you go into stasis for however many years and live on Pandora if it existed?  8)

Tell whether or not you would, and any concerns or benefits you see, or if you would rather prefer to live among them as an avatar, or as a flesh and blood native if it, or simply as your everyday sky person self.

Eana Unil

Well... the thing is... if I could ever afford a trip to Pandora or get the chance somehow (don't know if they'd need artists up there) and after I kinda lost some years in kryo, what would I do on that moon? Live inside a human built village or city of some sort or try to get along with the Na'vi? If I tried, would they accept me? With or without (unaffordable) Avatar body... I'd be dependant on the Exopack my whole life, unless I'd prove myself worthy like Jake did and get a chance to pass through the eye of Eywa and let's assume I'd make it, yeah cool... dream come true; I'd be able to live among the Na'vi as (more or less) one of them. Seems highly unlikely, though, even inside the hypothesis that Pandora does exist and we'd be able to travel there while I'm still alive.

Even just a tourist trip wouldn't look much... appealing to me. Tourism did "destroy" some cultures/aspects of it/environments/cities/etc. on Earth, what would it do to Pandora, if the Na'vi would tolerate it/would do nothing against it? I wouldn't wanna be part of that exploitation. Pandora is better off without me, maybe even without all of us. Isn't that kinda the core message of the movie, anyway?

So yeah... I rather just stay where I am and visit Pandora in my (day)dreams. :)

Aka`ula

Quote from: Eana Unil on February 19, 2017, 08:21:55 PM
So yeah... I rather just stay where I am and visit Pandora in my (day)dreams. :)

Yea, I understand  how things wouldn't work out idealy. I think I had it in my mindset more "If you were a part of it because you were already a part of it, would you want to be? With current interest in mind." And all the modern problems and troubles that could be left behind, while also being in a much more communal society. Thanks for your answer!  :)

Vawmataw

It's a good question.

The story is made up, so if it were to happen, it would probably not work the same way. Na'vi and mankind are two absolutely different species. Any resemblance is a coincidence. How would the contact happen?

Also, the fauna, the flora and the environment are to consider. Not originating from Pandora is the worst disadvantage, since we have absolutely zero adaptation to the conditions of the moon. Being able to make interstellar travels only solves a part of the problem.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Yeah, good question.

Idea of life on Pandora is really very nice, but I completely agree with Vawmataw - there are too many differences between us and Na'vi and also between Pandora and our world ...
However, short visit (despite all risks) would be good.

JoyStar

Seeing how dangerous it could be, I think I'll stick to the Pandora section in Disney World. ;)

Aka`ula

Quote from: JoyStar on February 22, 2017, 12:37:41 PM
Seeing how dangerous it could be, I think I'll stick to the Pandora section in Disney World. ;)

More excitement, less mosquito bites!  ;D

allrock123

In taking about the films reflective symbolism and coming back to the examples of real world history ,, I am reminded of the core examples of the "Two row" Wampum belt and the Covenant Chain treaty's  and what they stand for,, along with the internal struggle that native peoples have faced in the past and how perspectives upon them have evolved on this "today".
Native peoples often talk about the internal difficulty's of having to "walk between two worlds" or being thrown in the water between the "ship" and the canoe  or better said the battle of perspectives that exist between Two "alternative perceptions of reality" that impact upon how we "see" ones relations to the world around us.
The Na'vi people (Native minus the letters ET) reflect upon this in there core struggle with the Sky people ,, but its an interesting point to note not all the sky people fail to see them this is very important (the science community among the humans touches on this point),, so there is a "bridge" or Bond of sorts building in the films plot line that ends up being broken,, and we also internally reflect on our own history its a very emotive refelctive experience on many levels for some, it sure was for me and continues to be so today I asked many deep questions and tried to find examples of these source refection's and in sharing Dialog with Native elders I continue to build on this understanding I am Sure Cameron has had his own experences here as well that will impact future expressions in the Avatar universe ,,  I can only share these two examples ,,  there are many more ,  its very important to note , The root concept of the European perspective of "land ownership" is as "alien" a concept as one would see in the thoughts upon owning the sun, or moon etc , North American native peoples do not own the land itself,, its a part of there family ethos ,, they do recognize the concept of "Ancestral land boundary's" and there governing body's should have say in what's allowed to take place within those boundary's this is very diffrent from strutures of European leaderships structural Ethos among with the strutures of Economic ownership and capitalism struture principles that in wording put "man above nature"  Monoculture and Monotheist religious viewpoints also play a big role , but they evolving today as well ..
If you want to look upon this in Avatars perspective ,, its the sky peoples "ship" and the Na'vi craft of choose
and it impacts how the two peoples of diffrent world views interact , will Jake in future Avatar films as a leader be able to polish the chain between the two peoples and teach us all (in reflection) how we can come to see each other and look upon things form another perspective ?  only time will tell.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwTIjDzodi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NqeyFIWnlc

Aka`ula

Quote from: allrock123 on February 22, 2017, 06:42:34 PM
will Jake in future Avatar films as a leader be able to polish the chain between the two peoples and teach us all (in reflection) how we can come to see each other and look upon things form another perspective ?  only time will tell.         

I would hope so, but if the business and martial side of the Earth in Avatar is willing to commit genocide for the paycheck (with an unhealthy amount of xenophobia  :(), then I think one of the more likely options is humanity leaving the Na'vi alone, but as you say, only time will tell, and I hope for good results as well.

Rotobull cz

I myself would definitely love to live there. Probably as an avatar, but with being in a relatively close contact with the natives. The problem, which is likely to occur, would be the split between the human and the na'vi part of one's life (human x avatar body) - it would be intesifying as you would sympathize more and more with the Na'vi and their view on life.
Being one of the people would also be great, but since I like to study Nature in complex (I'm about to be a scientist after all), I wouldn't want to throw away all my scientific interests.
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Aka`ula

Quote from: Rotobull cz on February 23, 2017, 07:58:21 AM
but since I like to study Nature in complex (I'm about to be a scientist after all), I wouldn't want to throw away all my scientific interests.

Ah but you would be able to study a whole new system of alien ecosystems and biology no?

Rotobull cz

Quote from: Aka`ula on February 23, 2017, 04:16:58 PM
Quote from: Rotobull cz on February 23, 2017, 07:58:21 AM
but since I like to study Nature in complex (I'm about to be a scientist after all), I wouldn't want to throw away all my scientific interests.

Ah but you would be able to study a whole new system of alien ecosystems and biology no?

Yes, indeed. :)

Well, if I were able to take all of my books with me, I very much doubt I'd hesitate long. ;)
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

trdrpxplds

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 19, 2017, 09:09:55 PM
Na'vi and mankind are two absolutely different species. Any resemblance is a coincidence.

Or convergent evolution.

jakesullyjr

Quote from: Aka`ula on February 19, 2017, 07:52:30 PM
This question has been probably brought up for nearly all worlds, but if you could live there, would you?  :ikran:
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toliman

Quote from: jakesullyjr on November 08, 2022, 06:35:09 PM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah! Certainly yes, if it would be possible.

jakesullyjr

Quote from: Toliman on November 09, 2022, 03:01:18 AM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They'd be like how did you survive with so much cortisol;
we better get you an avatar body quick.

Toliman

Quote from: jakesullyjr on November 09, 2022, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: Toliman on November 09, 2022, 03:01:18 AM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They'd be like how did you survive with so much cortisol;
we better get you an avatar body quick.
Yeah, in Avatar body, that I would like

Toliman

QuoteThis question has been probably brought up for nearly all worlds, but if you could live there, would you?
So, after next several years on this world I would like to leave this planet more and more by each new day...