IMAX not screening Avatar re-release

Started by Tsyeymzi, May 04, 2010, 12:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niwantaw

[/headdesk] [/headdesk] [/headdesk]

that is what he/she is finding out
Only mostly AWOL.

Na'vi Kxanìa Taronyu

Well, why can't IMAX projection systems go digital?  That way instead of film, it would also make it easier for longer movies to be shown. :-\
I am a Video Producer, Webpage Designer, Na'Vi enthusiast, BMW fanatic, and a Mac OS X Server Certified Server Administrator.

I am The People's Forbidden Hunter
Oel ngati kameie!

I don't know where to turn, as my future is clouded.  The future is a haze, as my path is unclear.  Will my loyalty stick with my Terran race, or will it stick with the Na'vi?

omängum fra'uti

Because digital imax isn't as good as the real thing.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tsyeymzi

Quote from: Tawtute akawng on May 05, 2010, 02:05:34 PM

that is what he/she is finding out

Errrr... "He", at least, I'm a "he" last time I checked.

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 05, 2010, 11:11:08 PM
Because digital imax isn't as good as the real thing.

We've got a digital IMAX here, silly little pretender to the throne. The quality is noticeably different, it looks more like upscaled cinema than anything full quality. Not to mention that the "real deal" is A LOT bigger.
- The Signature is a Lie -

Tsa'räni

As far as we all knew, from interviews with the Avatar people I think, the extended version was only getting 6 or so additional minutes so that it could still be released in IMAX.  Now, I'm not try to contradict your source - but one side that should know what is going on obviously does not.  It's hard to imagine an IMAX theater goofing that simple bit of information up, but it's equally hard to imagine the Avatar people messing this up, considering they were specifically aiming for an IMAX release.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

The theater IMAX would only get 6 minutes more, but wasn't there a non-April 1st rumor going around that there was something like 55 minutes of finished footage that could be added?
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

thats why they call it april fools, cause you got fooled you fool!

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Human No More

If I remember correctly, that was an april fools...  >:(

I've heard the same thing though that it won't be in IMAX, just fake IMAX and normal.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Tsyeymzi

Quote from: Human No More on May 06, 2010, 05:21:18 PM

I've heard the same thing though that it won't be in IMAX, just fake IMAX and normal.

It might have been an April fools earlier, but this bit of information is NOT.

As I said, I'm only reporting on what I know and have heard, if anything changes I'll let you know. So far, the 100% confirmed part is that the IMAX in Melbourne, Australia will not be running Avatar 1.1 at this time. Whether that will change in the future, or extent to other IMAXs, is only reasonable assumption.
- The Signature is a Lie -

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Niwantaw

and like i said the last time you said that
Quote from: Tawtute akawng on May 05, 2010, 02:05:34 PM

that is what he is finding out
Only mostly AWOL.

Coyote

I'll be honest, I saw Avatar once in IMAX and once in the Edwards standard theatre (both in 3D) and to be honest I liked the regular theatre better. I don't know if it is universal but the IMAX seats were not as comfortable and so I kept having to shift in my seat while watching, which "pushed me out of the experience" for brief minutes at a time. The regular theatre seats were wider, more comfy, and leaned back, making the experience much more enjoyable. Obviously this has little to do with the movie itself, but more to do with the IMAX environment.

The image quality was about comperable, as was the sound; so overall my experience in the regular theatre was better, considering the money I shelled out for IMAX.

To be honest, I find IMAX to be more hype than substance.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Quote from: Human No More on May 06, 2010, 05:21:18 PM

Hmm, maybe I'm remembering wrong again. Thats been known to happen, I seem to remember it being legit, but i dunno.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

Swoka Ikran

That's gonna stink. If they don't run the extended version in IMAX what's my sister gonna do with the free IMAX ticket from her single failed attempt to go see it (projector died in the first 10 minutes)?

Also, what's "fake IMAX"? Do you mean plain old RealD?
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

eanayo

Come to think of it: Back in the daysTM it wasn't that uncommon for longer films to have dedicated breaks halfway through, (e.g. Ben Hur has a really nice intermission panel, as do a couple of other films from that era). Surely a 10-minute break after two hours would give IMAX staff enough time to load the next reel into the projector.

Whether that would be worth the trouble for just 6 more minutes - I don't know. But if we were talking about a further extended version, I would accept that as a solution.

Ma Swoka Ikran, I believe "fake IMAX" refers to digital IMAX, where you have relatively low -resolution digital projectors instead of the OMGWTFBBQ-sized IMAX film.

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Aysyal on May 08, 2010, 11:03:54 AM
Come to think of it: Back in the daysTM it wasn't that uncommon for longer films to have dedicated breaks halfway through, (e.g. Ben Hur has a really nice intermission panel, as do a couple of other films from that era). Surely a 10-minute break after two hours would give IMAX staff enough time to load the next reel into the projector.

Whether that would be worth the trouble for just 6 more minutes - I don't know. But if we were talking about a further extended version, I would accept that as a solution.

Ma Swoka Ikran, I believe "fake IMAX" refers to digital IMAX, where you have relatively low -resolution digital projectors instead of the OMGWTFBBQ-sized IMAX film.
Haven't been on this planet long enough to have seen movies with intermissions (I'm only about to turn 18), but it WOULD make a longer version work. I can say though that a ten minute intermission for another 6 minutes of movie wouldn't be worth it, and would seem awkward. That'd be like having the intermission right before Jake's final video log...

As for fake IMAX, thanks for that info. Also, "OMGWTFBBQ-sized IMAX film" was good for a laugh!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

That odd... An IMAX projector can handle 165 minutes of video. The BD is 162 minutes. By making the credit run 10% faster, they can easily fit an other 6 minutes of movie in there...
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

eanayo

Ma Swoka Ikran, I'm actually just a few year older than you, so apologies if I made it sound like I had personally witnessed the original theatrical release of Ben Hur ;) My DVD collection just happens to contain a large portion of pre-1970 movies.

Ma Kawazoe, I agree, tampering with the credits is probably the best way to gain a few more minutes. Not sure though if you can squeeze 6 (or even 3) minutes out. But now that you mention it, why is there a difference between the theatrical release and the BD in the first place? Both should run at 24fps (well, roughly), no?

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Aysyal on May 09, 2010, 09:42:39 AM
Ma Swoka Ikran, I'm actually just a few year older than you, so apologies if I made it sound like I had personally witnessed the original theatrical release of Ben Hur ;) My DVD collection just happens to contain a large portion of pre-1970 movies.
Ah. Thought you were much older. Understand now.

As for my collection of movies, I don't really have a collection (have a bunch of old VHSes and about 25 DVDs). Avatar will be the first DVD I've bought in a few years, and my first BD ever. Movie was so good it's making me buy the stinking BD player (i was hoping to skip the BD format altogether). At least we have the surround sound and HDTV already...

I normally just watch movies On Demand on digital cable, since I usually don't watch the same one twice. Also, Avatar was the first movie I've ever seen more than once in the theater (4 times, likely more if/when it re-releases later this year).

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Quote from: Aysyal on May 09, 2010, 09:42:39 AM
Ma Kawazoe, I agree, tampering with the credits is probably the best way to gain a few more minutes. Not sure though if you can squeeze 6 (or even 3) minutes out. But now that you mention it, why is there a difference between the theatrical release and the BD in the first place? Both should run at 24fps (well, roughly), no?

There's no difference and that exactly the point, they could already have added 3 minutes of film without any issue. That's why having the credit running 10% faster is sufficient to get all the time they need. There is no real reason for them not to have it in IMAX a second time. I really don't understand why fox is doing this.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.