Is there any mistakes in the Avatar movie?

Started by Eana Tanhì, March 03, 2010, 09:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Col Quaritch on March 03, 2010, 11:10:04 PM
Colonel Quaritch died thats a major mistake in the movie big time fluck up  :(

Lol. Best part of the movie... (runs and hides)

;D ;D

-'Itan Atxur

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Hufwe ta'em

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Kìte'eyä Aungia on March 04, 2010, 12:43:24 AM
One issue I have is the part near the beginning of the movie where Jake and Norm first meet Grace. She asks Norm a bunch of questions about his training and reacts to Jake showing up instead of his brother as though there was no warning of this (insulting him and storming off to yell at Selfridge). But the colony on Pandora is in contact with the Earth by way of a superluminal transmitter, so wouldn't they at least know who would be arriving on each ship long in advance?

They have more important information to send.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Eana Tanhì

Quotethe humans just had too much unneccesary STUFF with them

True...  ;D

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on March 04, 2010, 07:27:14 AM
One issue I have is the part near the beginning of the movie where Jake and Norm first meet Grace. She asks Norm a bunch of questions about his training and reacts to Jake showing up instead of his brother as though there was no warning of this (insulting him and storming off to yell at Selfridge). But the colony on Pandora is in contact with the Earth by way of a superluminal transmitter, so wouldn't they at least know who would be arriving on each ship long in advance?

But Tommy ( Jake's brother ) was killed a week before 'he was blasted lightyears into space to find the answers' When they arrive ( still in space ) can Jake goes to his locker it says Sully T.    however his backpack says Sully J.
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

pbhead

Quote from: Eanä Tanhì on March 03, 2010, 09:56:48 AM
I noticed that at the begining of the movie the man who said the other ones to put their masks on, that when he put his mask on he didn't let the air (didn't press the button or what that is)

Is there any other mistakes that you notice in the movie?

*sorry if my english is bad, it's not my native language  ;)

Thats not a mistake.  Thats the purge button... only needed to purge the inside of the mask of pandoran air... he put it on in nice, breathable air, so he did not need to purge his mask.

There are no major plot holes anywhere... If i wasnt supposed to be listening to this lecture, I could prolly refute most/all of this speculation. 

Col Quaritch

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 04, 2010, 06:38:07 AM
Colonel Quaritch died thats a major mistake in the movie big time fluck up  :(

;D ;D

-'Itan Atxur
WHY YOU STUCK UP HALF WITTED SCRUFFY LOOKING PA'LI HERDER!

El Jacko

Quote from: Col Quaritch on March 04, 2010, 12:34:56 PM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 04, 2010, 06:38:07 AM
Colonel Quaritch died thats a major mistake in the movie big time fluck up  :(

;D ;D

-'Itan Atxur
WHY YOU STUCK UP HALF WITTED SCRUFFY LOOKING PA'LI HERDER!

Nice to see you're up and well (ish), and back on form
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on March 04, 2010, 07:27:14 AM

Grace was expecting Jake's brother who she knew had trained for 3 years to come on the mission. How could she know that about him if Earth hadn't sent that info ahead? And if they told the colony that Jake's brother was on the way (and sent them a bunch of info on his training), why didn't they tell the colony that there was a change of plans?

Eana Tanhì

QuoteGrace was expecting Jake's brother who she knew had trained for 3 years to come on the mission. How could she know that about him if Earth hadn't sent that info ahead? And if they told the colony that Jake's brother was on the way (and sent them a bunch of info on his training), why didn't they tell the colony that there was a change of plans?

I think she knew that Jake is comming instead of his brother, but she was angy about that because he doesn't have any training, but they needed him because he is the only one that can connect to that avatar body... and they are very expensive, so they couldn't just throw the avatar body out  ;D

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Tsa'räni

I never felt like Grace was surprised when she met Jake.  It certainly seemed as though she had some advance warning, though probably not all the details.  I can think of two main possibilities for that...

1.) Superluminal information was sent at some point informing Hell's Gate of the change.  Considering the limitations and cost, it probably would have been something like, "T. Sully dead.  Had twin, sending him."

2.) The information was relayed to Hell's Gate while in orbit before the shuttle departed for Pandora's surface.

No matter how much information was relayed with either (or both) methods, it's probable that Grace didn't know all the details.  Of course, there aren't that many details to know...all she needs to hear is that he's a marine (not a PhD scientist) and that makes him unsuitable for the task at hand, in her eyes.  But any messages probably went through Selfridge first, and he may not have known much beyond Jake being Tommy's twin and a marine.

Kìte'eyä Aungia

She apparently did know something about the situation (she does say "I know who you are" to Jake), I just find it odd that she went to argue with Selfridge over an issue that they both would have learned about quite a while ago (years, right?).  

EDIT:

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 04, 2010, 01:26:54 PM
2.) The information was relayed to Hell's Gate while in orbit before the shuttle departed for Pandora's surface.

This would explain it, but then I'm left wondering what exactly do they send via superluminal communications if not information on who and what is being sent in the ships? What does the colony care about other than who they're getting? What does the Earth care about other than how much unobtainium to expect?

Kesìltsamsiyu

As I recall, her line at that point was "I know who you are, and I don't need you. I need your brother" or something like that. She knew he was coming, she just resented him.

Mistakes? There's a few things that were poorly explained, but as far as straight up contradictions go, I didn't notice any. Although seeing Grace hold a $300 micropipettor like a pencil and poke things with it after being annoyed with Jake for his lack of lab experience while I'm sitting in a basement doing science with cheap ones that take 30 seconds to set was mildly infuriating.
Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

Tsa'räni

Obviously this is 110% spec here, but maybe Grace was just letting things lie until she actually met Jake.  If they didn't know much about Jake due to limited superluminal communcation, she could have been hoping he at least had some kind of scientific background besides being a marine (his brother was a scientist, so it's not a totally unreasonable hope).  But Jake showed up and answered her question about lab time (or whatever) with a flippant, "I dissected a frog once."  I can see that being the last straw, so she goes off to confront Selfridge now that she's seen Jake for herself and her fears were proved right.

Just one possible scenario.

Regarding what they might send through the superluminal communcation - I'm not entirely sure.  In a previous discussion about this topic, someone mentioned they may very well have preset, basic messages that are condensed into small binary sequences.  So perhaps only a sequence of 10 bits could stand for a much longer, predetermined message.  These could, in theory, be modified a little to include things like personnel needs, unobtanium yields, and so on.

But I think no matter what, you're going to be limiting your use of superluminal communications to whatever is essential, and even then it will be very stripped down.  You won't be sending someone's entire file through it, so it would be brought with the ships' computers.  No matter what you do, you've still got a lag time of many years before you'd see any result from it if you were asking for equipment, personnel, etc.  So Hell's Gate has to be pretty self-sufficient and whatever personnel rotation they have in place has to take such things into account ahead of time.

So yeah, progress updates, important questions for the higher ups, etc.  I think that's about all you'd see from the superluminal stuff.

Yayo

Very sorry to Necropost but I was going to start a thread about mistakes, but considering it already exists, I thought I'd just put it here. Please send all hate mail via PM  ;D

Okay!I noticed that when Jake came out of suspended animation, his face was cleanly shaven.. Okay, now, I am sure that you are all aware that hair is one of our body items that doesn't stop growing, even when we die. Now, Jake was in cryogenic freeze for - 6 years, right? Now, unless the medical staff shaved all of the Cryo occupants (which I sincerely doubt), his beard should be quite long.. In the scene where he is shaving, that length is from three months. Okay, so let's estimate: his length after three months is roughly 5cm. Now, multiply that by 18 (72/3). Now, multiply that by 5 and the result is: 90cm.

His beard should be 90 cm long after 6 years of Cryogenic sleep. Now, unless sub-zero temperatures postpones hair growth (which is doesn't), he should look like this;

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Txantslusam Skxawng

When Quaritch is in Dragon at the final battle, then Trudy flies by and starts shooting at the Dragon and you can see that there are bullet holes in the glass, but no toxic air comes in.... until the explosion makes a bigger hole....
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Niwantaw

Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on October 31, 2010, 06:03:53 AM
When Quaritch is in Dragon at the final battle, then Trudy flies by and starts shooting at the Dragon and you can see that there are bullet holes in the glass, but no toxic air comes in.... until the explosion makes a bigger hole....

The reason the toxic air does not get in is because the inside of the dragon is pressurised. So rather than the toxic air coming in it's the clean air going out. Which keeps the toxic air getting in.

Quote from: Yayo Seykxel on October 31, 2010, 01:29:08 AM
Okay!I noticed that when Jake came out of suspended animation, his face was cleanly shaven.. Okay, now, I am sure that you are all aware that hair is one of our body items that doesn't stop growing, even when we die. Now, Jake was in cryogenic freeze for - 6 years, right? Now, unless the medical staff shaved all of the Cryo occupants (which I sincerely doubt), his beard should be quite long.. In the scene where he is shaving, that length is from three months. Okay, so let's estimate: his length after three months is roughly 5cm. Now, multiply that by 18 (72/3). Now, multiply that by 5 and the result is: 90cm.

According to a few things I've read it's not your hair that grows. It's the skin which dries out and shrinks. Revealing more of the hair/nails which give the appearance of it growing.
Only mostly AWOL.

Human No More

I was under the impression that other data could be sent between Earth and Pandora at light speed, which would take 4.5 years to arrive, so Grace heard about a year and a half before Jake arrived, although the FTL communications could have also been used, I guess.

Quote from: Tawtewng on October 31, 2010, 06:29:57 AM
Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on October 31, 2010, 06:03:53 AM

The reason the toxic air does not get in is because the inside of the dragon is pressurised. So rather than the toxic air coming in it's the clean air going out. Which keeps the toxic air getting in.

According to a few things I've read it's not your hair that grows. It's the skin which dries out and shrinks. Revealing more of the hair/nails which give the appearance of it growing.

Mllte. Both are correct :)
Vehicles and buildings are pressurised so that light damage causes internal air to escape rather than Pandora's atmosphere to enter (you can see this happening when Jake blows the hole in the side of the Dragon and when Quaritch opens the top hatch), you can also hear the airlocks pressurising and depressurising. Hair and nails do stop growing, the skin shrinks as it dies and dries out. Of course, tjhe principle of cryogenics is to stop cellular activity anyway, which presumably includes hair growth.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tawtewng on October 31, 2010, 06:29:57 AM

My initial thought was that there would be hardly any growth (they are frozen...), but you bring about a good point with the skin...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

guest6785

shouldn't all of humanity drop their jaws when they found life on another planet?I mean,OMG,they FOUND LIFE! :o.they should be safe-keeping it or study it,not wreck it! :P
this could be a seriously big hole in the plot.