My thoughts: Pre-Avatar irony?

Started by überdoodlet, November 13, 2010, 09:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

überdoodlet

Well, I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but I decided it was more thought-based than game-based.

The story behind the Avatar iPhone app...
If anyone is not familliar, here is a summary.

This takes place before the time of the movie. Ryan Lorenz, the main character, is just like Jake. He comes to the Avatar program and learns how to operate the Avatar body. Avatars are used to perform dangerous tasks and to mark unobtainium deposits.

While in the forest, he gets lost, and wanders to the Tree of Souls... He is knocked out as he touches the tree. Ryan has a nightmare battling alongside Na'vi, and wakes up in Hometree. After performing tasks, rescuing their members from danger, and gaining trust, he learns that Neytiri's sister had been captured. He sets out to the heart of the mining operation. After breaking free and finding her sister, they meet Grace... They fly back to Hometree on an Ikran and return safely. He returns to the Tree of Souls, battles the villain, blah blah blah. While rallying support, and just as he tries to launch an attack on the Skypeople base, a soldier shoots Ryan's human body, witnessed by scientists...

So enough rambling... My question is, I thought there was a little irony here, in the app's story and the movie. In both situations, the Avatar program was developed to work for the Skypeople, either by marking unobtainium to be mined or finding diplomatic solutions to the military's problems. But in both situations, the main character used and focused on eventually rallied and gained support with the Na'vi against the Skypeople to defeat them. In a way, the Avatar program backfired against the Skypeople...   

Lorey

well if it's an avatar app, shouldn't it at least be based off the ideas of the movie? so therefor one of the main things in the story was jake helping the na'vi instead of the skypeople, it should be the same in the app. at least that's what I think.

Human No More

Well, it isn't actually canon, but yeah... of course, nobody would want to wok or the skypeople... I can't kill enough of them in any of the Avatar games ;D
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman