NASA to speak about possible evidence of extraterrestrial life...

Started by Elfenlied, December 01, 2010, 06:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elfenlied

This isn't truly related to Avatar (the film) but at the same time I feel it is related to the possibility of extraterrestrial life as a whole.

QuoteWASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.
The news conference will be held at the NASA Headquarters auditorium at 300 E St. SW, in Washington. It will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at http://www.nasa.gov.  
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/nov/HQ_M10-167_Astrobiology.html

It's a small step, to a larger understanding of the universe as we know it.
(If this should be posted elsewhere please let me know and I'll move it.)
Shades of the dead are sliding on the walls,
Demons dance in the castle hall.
Female Na'Vi Sculpt--><--Female Na'Vi Sculpt

ToktorGrace

Recently a professor at my university discovered a possibly inhabitable planet and gave a talk called "The Search For Other Earths" or something - I wish I could have gone but I had a class at the same time as the talk :(

Really cool stuff - I'll definitely check out the link.

Info on Prof. Greg Laughlin: http://news.ucsc.edu/2010/10/halliday-lecture.html

[I feel like this could go into the Science section]
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Eyawng te Klltepayu

I hear this is about the possibility of organisms that use arsenic in the same way that we use phosphorus.
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Swoka Ikran

Sounds interesting...hopefully a recording will be on NASA's site tomorrow night - I'll be in gym class at 2pm. :P

Quote from: Truro (Tìvawm'ia) on December 01, 2010, 07:14:09 PM
[I feel like this could go into the Science section]
Mllte.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

holy c*** if this "super-earth" is possible to live on, we just might save our selves feom the destruction of our earth. i am so fing happy! ;D

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Eana Tanhì

i've heard about it, but they didn't say anything on Croatian television, and it's only broadcasting on NASA tv and i don't think that anyone in Croatia have Nasa tv :P But as I know, the conference is still holding. I'm sure we'll hear all about it when it's over... can't wait ;D

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

omängum fra'uti

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/science/03arsenic.html?src=me

It's not about anything specifically extra-terrestrial.  The discovery is entirely earth bound.  But what it is about is a form of life on earth which lives outside the bounds of what was generally accepted as the required biochemistry for life.

The reason this is exciting for the search for life outside our planet, is that it means that our assumptions on life are not hard and fast rules, and there is the possibility of life using different chemistry than our own, as you might find on a planet with different elemental compositions.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

ToktorGrace

This reminds me of recent examination of Titan, where scientists suspect alien life utilizing natural gases, ect in different ways than Terran creatures due.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7805069/Titan-Nasa-scientists-discover-evidence-that-alien-life-exists-on-Saturns-moon.html

I love being in the company of nerds :3
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

omängum fra'uti

Indeed.  Before this discovery, there were many theories that life could work using different chemistry than our own, but they were just that; theories.  That's what makes this so big, it is the first observable life using different chemistry.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eyawng te Klltepayu on December 01, 2010, 07:18:08 PM
I hear this is about the possibility of organisms that use arsenic in the same way that we use phosphorus.
I think so...a story about it ran on the 5pm news. I was asleep and woke up when I heard 'life' and 'arsenic' :P

The local station's post on it: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/technology&id=7820051
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Kerame Pxel Nume

A lot of people seemingly don't grasp the gravity this discovery has. So long only SciFi writers and some scientists seriously speculated about biochemistry based on a whole different set of elements than (majority) of earth's life. Of course everybody in the scientific community agrees, that alien life of course will be of different chemistry, simply for the fact that even earth's life developed so many chemical pathways that it would be foolish to think otherwise. But so far everybody assumed that, once a set of chemical pathways has been outlined it would be impossible to overcome these.

What this discovery showed is not only the possibilty to base life on different elements, but also that life can envolve in a way that it completely changes an organisms biochemistry over the generations. That means that we've not only broaden our understanding of biochemistry and evolutional processes, but also take into account that this makes the existance of extratterrestrial life even more probable.

Human No More

Exactly :)
This just increased the number of planets which could support life by an order of magnitude ;D
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.