Na'vi Holidays?

Started by ToktorGrace, December 24, 2010, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToktorGrace

Just had a thought - I began to wonder if the Na'vi celebrate holidays during certain times of the year or when certain events occur in accordance with the planets and nearby moons, or any other sort of festivals besides the one example we saw in the deleted scenes.

I know there is a rich history for annual or other kinds of scheduled celebrations in many cultures from very early in human existence. :3

Anyways happy holiday season to everyone regardless of what you celebrate and happy winter/new year to those who do not celebrate a holiday ^^
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

That's an interesting idea.  I was wondering the same. :D

They could have holidays of the hunt like in the scene and some celebration to Eywa. :)

Happy holidays to nga as well.

Human No More

I'm not sure... the Na'vi don't have a fixed calendar (Neytiri only mentions 'since the time of the first songs'), so I'd say any kind of yearly/monthly/whatever routine is out based on that.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Eanikran

plus, it's pretty unlikely that a Pandoran year is remotely the same as one on 'rrta, so that has to be taken into account as well I guess :P

kop, I'm assuming the Na'vi don't really have a system of years/months/weeks/etc, so you'd think for them it's a "what happened, happened, and when it happens, it happens" kind of thing. I hope I wasn't confusing about that XD

Lolet

Quote from: Human No More on December 26, 2010, 11:40:11 PM
I'm not sure... the Na'vi don't have a fixed calendar (Neytiri only mentions 'since the time of the first songs'), so I'd say any kind of yearly/monthly/whatever routine is out based on that.

That may be just a reference point in their history... like how we say, "since the time of Christ".

Txontaw

If you look to history, early calendars were based on seasons. I don't know how much seasonal change there is on Pandora, but if they have discernible seasons, celebrations would most likely be based on those.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Txontaw on December 28, 2010, 12:21:59 AM
If you look to history, early calendars were based on seasons. I don't know how much seasonal change there is on Pandora, but if they have discernible seasons, celebrations would most likely be based on those.

Sran, and it is quite likely that they don't pay attention to occasions on any particular Pandoran year, let alone count the Pandoran years.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

ToktorGrace

Most ancient cultures on Earth had some spiritual beliefs regarding the Sun and Moon and used these as measures of time -- now Pandora has many bodies around it, including Polyphemus and several other moons of that planet - I imagine they move in or show in some form of cycle (obviously it would be different than that of the moon on Earth but the same idea holds)

I feel like Na'vi would measure time, since they do use numbers and count, but like their number system, their way of considering time passed would also be different. Just my guestimation...
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...