Pando!

Started by Taronyu, November 15, 2010, 04:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

I was surprised I hadn't run across this on the forum before. I was looking at articles on Quaking Aspen roots (don't ask me why), when I ran across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(tree)

Quote from: WikiPando (or The Trembling Giant)[1] is a clonal colony of a single male Quaking Aspen (Populus tremuloides) located in the U.S. state of Utah, all determined to be part of a single living organism by identical genetic markers[2] and one massive underground root system, although whether it is a single tree is disputed, as it depends on one's definition of an individual tree. The plant is estimated to weigh collectively 6,000 tonnes (6,615 short tons),[3] making it the heaviest known organism.[4] The root system of Pando is claimed by some to be among the oldest known living organisms in existence at 80,000 years of age,[5] though the method used to produce this estimate (an estimate on when climatic conditions were last suitable for seedling germination) is not supported by current evidence of germination.[6]

Sound like Pandora, anyone?

Ekirä

That is pretty awesome. :D Quaking aspen roots are amazing--I learned about them from living in Utah where there are a ton of quaking aspen. It's really cool....instead of scattered trees there are huge patches of forest packed with aspen that just keeps on spreading more and more. XD

kaltxi Angtsik

Tewti! I hadn't heard of that before...
Yawey ngahu!
Oe nerume fte pivlltxe nìNa'vi.
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsyal Maktoyu

That's incredible. And yes, very much like Pandora, only two letters away. :D

Really makes one think about the secrets that may lie within plants like these. There's some evidence that plants might have a basic nervous system-like way of communication. One must wonder how advanced that might be in something like this. :)

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Human No More

I read about this a while ago, certainly interesting, and the name made me hrh :P
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Lisa

One of the cool things about Aspen clones is that in the fall each set of clones all change color at the same time.  I think they all leaf out at the same time in the spring as well. 
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Nyx

That's cool. I know of smaller plants that do this but I hadn't heard of these trees before. It would be really cool if they could develop a consciousness ;D

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on November 16, 2010, 03:50:25 PM

One of the cool things about Aspen clones is that in the fall each set of clones all change color at the same time.  I think they all leaf out at the same time in the spring as well. 
That sounds really cool too ^^

Txur’Itan

Ancient Greek

Pandora (Πανδώρα) ("all-gifted",  "giver of all", "all-endowed")

Doron δῶρον ("gift")

Latin

Pando ("I Spread")

------------------------

Interesting...

I spread gifts...
私は太った男だ。

Ftiafpi

I learned something today.