So where do they all link up?

Started by Amaya, January 17, 2011, 03:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaya

In Jake's initial run through the avatar compound, we determined (see the Jake and Neytiri's child thread) that there are 17 to 18 avatars out there, inclluding Jake, Norm and Grace, so my question is, if they're all linked up...where are they linked up?  Because although I haven't done an exact count, I don't think there are that many link pods in the link room...

Any ideas?  and/or anyone count the link pods and find out there are enough?

Tsteu nantang

So I havent counted but here's my opinion.
First Hells Gate is a very big compound there are probably multiple link rooms for different teams,
Second there are other bases based off the special edition release and the game,
And finally there are mobile uplinks like the one Grace, Jake and Norm used throughout most of the movie,
Thats just my best guess
http://livenavi.forumotion.com/ HELP US OUT
Quote from: archaic
Plus she's hot, in a 'nine feet tall, skinny, blue, stripy, with a tail' kind of way.
old gallery link?id=2029[/img]

Nyx

I'd assume there's another part of the link room that we don't see, or there are several link rooms. It would be pretty inefficient to only have a few links when there are that many avatars. But now I'm curious, I'm going to count those next time I watch the movie ^^

Amaya

I thought about the mobile links too, but then, if their human selves were out at the mobile link site why would their avatars be back in the compound?  Probably there's just more link pods in a second room we can't see or something like that... *ponders*

Tsteu nantang

Quote from: Amaya on January 17, 2011, 06:40:00 PM
I thought about the mobile links too, but then, if their human selves were out at the mobile link site why would their avatars be back in the compound?  Probably there's just more link pods in a second room we can't see or something like that... *ponders*
Good point, I just figured if they're out of room they might go out of their way for a link
http://livenavi.forumotion.com/ HELP US OUT
Quote from: archaic
Plus she's hot, in a 'nine feet tall, skinny, blue, stripy, with a tail' kind of way.
old gallery link?id=2029[/img]

'Oma Tirea

I observed some 10 link units in the link room, and maybe there are almost 20 Avatars, but it's also likely they're not all in use at the same time.

Quote from: Amaya on January 17, 2011, 06:40:00 PM
Probably there's just more link pods in a second room we can't see or something like that... *ponders*

Possible...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Amaya

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on January 17, 2011, 11:08:56 PM
I observed some 10 link units in the link room, and maybe there are almost 20 Avatars, but it's also likely they're not all in use at the same time.

This is the trouble...they are.  In that one scene there are 16+ avatars all in use at the same time.

zineketaye

Just while enjoying the movie I took it as a matter of course that there is more than one link room. With the point of this topic it is still more obvious.

That was the forum-friendly, short and snappy version.

More lengthy attempt to explain what I felt seeing:

• The link units are not in row, but circling a central console. That using more space in rectangular rooms, it should have a reason. Maybe to operate the room with only a few techs, who will have to have equal (and fast?) access to any of the link units.
  • Given this, a tech-team may only control a limited number of link units, at least  due to geometrical limits.
  • The number of Avatars in the programm exceeds the max number of link units to be controlled by one team. So there should be more than one team, and more than one link room ...
Projektprozente:
1 (aU): 5,0; 2: 0,0; 3: 26,3 (31,0; 26,3; 32,4)

Amaya

*grins* gotta love the logical approach!  This is great, actually, really, because if I bring a secondary link room into my fic without logic, there will be a hue and cry.  Plus, it's just one of those things that bugged me from the first moment I thought of it. ::)  Me and my darned obsession with facts...

Eana Tanhì

little OT but.. What do other avatars do? What is their job on Pandora?

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Amaya

Well presumably they're all scientists who were meant initially to be able to go out into the forests and would potentially have had contact with the Na'vi.

zineketaye

Quote from: Eana Tanhì
little OT but.. What do other avatars do? What is their job on Pandora?

Since Amaya as the TO has already answered, it seems to be handled not that OT at all.   :)
And, ma Amaya, you're quite right on your first guess (first post). There have been (or are, if all are functional and on Pandora) 20 Avatars.

The job should have been like slavery, to do hazardous work in an dangerous environment. Then it was politically changed into some sort of diplomacy. Since the Na'vi where not up to trust those golems, they had to continue study and training on beeing Na'vi-like so they might be trusted some day in the future. For details, try the Pandorapedia. You remember Selfridge calling it "puppet theatre"?
Projektprozente:

archaic

There are defiantly ten link machines in the link room.
Norm called it "the link room", not "a link room" or "one of the link rooms", but he could just have been wrong, after all he didn't know about the mobile link-up at site twenty six.

My fanfic dodged this issue, but I'd guessed there were other link-ups around. I expected there'd be at least one or two 'shacks' like site twenty six, some of which would have probably been brought back to Hell's Gate after the deterioration in relations with the Na'vi. Three of these, plus the ten links in the link room would give nineteen links, enough for all. Unless all twenty avatars are there on Pandora. (Which would preclude the Hegner incident.)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Amaya

yeah, I suppose that might make sense too...hmm...now I get to pick and chose which version I like better for my explanations XD

Syaron

I have a question all of this has raised in my little round head...

So...it takes years for the trip to Pandora...communications with earth is a years long process (even if they have speed of light com links)... one could assume the RDA company will not know of the revolt for years...but there probably are many more transports on the way with maybe more avatars in waves across the void...wonder what will transpire when the good left behind avatars meet up with the new (and possibly improved) and company devoted drivers and their avatars?

Just a thought..(crap now my head hurts)

Syaron
Shara

Human No More

There are 10 link beds in the main room. We can assume they don't all link to their avatar at once (a couple of them are sometimes visible in use in scenes set there, other than Jake, Norm and Grace), plus there is at least one mobile site with links and probably more of those around.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

archaic

Quote from: Syaron on January 19, 2011, 05:51:42 AM

So...it takes years for the trip to Pandora...communications with earth is a years long process (even if they have speed of light com links)... one could assume the RDA company will not know of the revolt for years...but there probably are many more transports on the way with maybe more avatars in waves across the void...wonder what will transpire when the good left behind avatars meet up with the new (and possibly improved) and company devoted drivers and their avatars?

Syaron
There's a superluminal communications technology.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

zineketaye

Quote from: archaic on January 19, 2011, 06:41:01 PM

Syaron
There's a superluminal communications technology.

Yes there is communication faster than light, as this is also confirmed in the pandorapedia (deep in the section about the ISV).

There are twelve ISV circling the route from Earth to Pandora, so five to six of them are on the way out. It's quite an interesting field for thoughts, what is to happen when they arrive. That could get very OT here ...
Projektprozente:

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Tsteu nantang on January 17, 2011, 06:25:54 PM
And finally there are mobile uplinks like the one Grace, Jake and Norm used throughout most of the movie,
This.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Human No More

Syaron
Well, the scientists are far more likely to have sided with the Na'vi anyway - after all, if I was there, I know I would. Most likely though, the ISVs will just get turned around and sent back to Earth without any shuttles landing.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman