teaching children Na'vi?

Started by Lorey, June 29, 2010, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

after having read the last page after getting back from a two week vacation, this seems to have gotten out of hand... TA(K)...out!!!
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

it seems to, but if you pay attention, it isnt too hard

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

to lazy to follow anything at this point.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

wow...lazy. you are a disgrace to the omaticaya  ::)

tifnu tivawm

i think that soon Na'vi will be a first language so its benificial to teach children and it makes them more well rounded
"through the path i travel i will be strong and trust.. the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"

....maybe, but i doubt it, unless you can get on the presidents good side.

tifnu tivawm

"through the path i travel i will be strong and trust.. the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: tifnu tivawm on July 22, 2010, 06:26:38 PM
well i think itll happen

I think that's naïve really. If any conlangs had any chance it would be interlangs (like Esperanto, lingua franca nova etc.) and englangs (like lojban) because, from the government's point of view, there is a reason to adopt it as an official language and to provide the education in it that would be necessary. Interlangs are pretty much a waste of time for a government to teach because I doubt it takes much less time for a schoolchild to learn Esperanto than it does to learn English (despite the increased regularity) due to the vast amount of material available in English that isn't in Esperanto and English is an  already established lingua franca.

As far as englangs go, a government has a big incentive, having people who can, when they need to, communicate 100% unambiguously would be brilliant when it came to law and the like and could also enable people who spoke them to think in different ways and be more efficient workers. That said, it's never going to happen because there aren't enough (or possibly any) native speakers for governments to get to teach it.

An artlang like na'vi has very few benefits for a government. Unlike an interlang (or English) it won't increase the number of people the speaker can talk to significantly and unlike an englang will provide negligible gains via the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. As a government has no real incentive to teach it, it will never be taught on anywhere near a large enough scale for I to ever have any chance of becoming a first language in any significant number of households. It would only ever be the odd person who tried to teach their child(ren) na'vi in the same way that very few people are native speakers of Klingon (which has a larger and longer established fanbase to do so than na'vi).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tsamsiyu92

Kewnya has a good point, Na'vi will probably get a solid fanbase, but that would be it.

'Ì'awn Menari

yeah more than likely.  oh well as long as we beat Klingon i'll be a happy camper ^_^
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

tifnu tivawm

well the way im seeing it is tht in the future it will grow and more and more people will start to speak it then it will grow to where they cant ignore it anymore

Txepä Tsyal

Quote from: tifnu tivawm on July 23, 2010, 09:47:49 PM
well the way im seeing it is tht in the future it will grow and more and more people will start to speak it then it will grow to where they cant ignore it anymore
Klingon has a fan base of over 250 thousand, and yet before I joined this forum, I had never know it to be an actual language spoken by anyone before. Though that just seems to say that I had been living my life under a metaphorical rock, it does go to show that this language will eventually reach a point in which it will cease to significantly grow; and if there were any chance for it to become a language known world-wide, something rather major would have to happen to one, if not many, of our current languages to make them seem out-dated and useless in the new society.
New personal modo:

tifnu tivawm

Quote from: Dracus_Pyrus13 on July 23, 2010, 11:02:36 PM
Quote from: tifnu tivawm on July 23, 2010, 09:47:49 PM
Klingon has a fan base of over 250 thousand, and yet before I joined this forum, I had never know it to be an actual language spoken by anyone before. Though that just seems to say that I had been living my life under a metaphorical rock, it does go to show that this language will eventually reach a point in which it will cease to significantly grow; and if there were any chance for it to become a language known world-wide, something rather major would have to happen to one, if not many, of our current languages to make them seem out-dated and useless in the new society.
well i have fsith in the language growing and bieng known

abi

If Na'vi continues and "complete" learning resources are provided, it wouldn't be comparable to Klingon. Klingon will never be a full language, and in its current form its just about useless to try to speak "fluently" about anything other than the narrow band of topics within the Star Trek universe (there are words for fake ceremonies and technologies, but yet no words for basic objects like "window").

Tsteu nantang

Srane i would teach my children Na'vi but i would teach them english first.
http://livenavi.forumotion.com/ HELP US OUT
Quote from: archaic
Plus she's hot, in a 'nine feet tall, skinny, blue, stripy, with a tail' kind of way.
old gallery link?id=2029[/img]

Ean Hufwetulyu

i think they will get the two confuse
Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Eaite Randjam

If I ever have a child or two, it would be pretty awesome to teach 'em Na'vi, though to do that I have to apply myself and learn the language too!

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Quote from: Eaite 'Randjam on September 03, 2010, 11:23:54 PM
If I ever have a child or two, it would be pretty awesome to teach 'em Na'vi, though to do that I have to apply myself and learn the language too!

yes you would or else youd just be telling your kids mistakes that you thought were right.