teaching children Na'vi?

Started by Lorey, June 29, 2010, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Human No More

If I ever have a child, I'd teach them both English and Na'vi I guess :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Kekerusey

Having children is a privilege and a serious responsibility ... they are NOT toys! If I had any say in it I would stop people like those who would treat their children as if they were playthings from having children at all ... you people who would teach young, vulnerable & trusting children Na'vi are insane. IMO there is no other way to describe you.

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Txepä Tsyal

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 21, 2010, 01:31:38 AM
Having children is a privilege and a serious responsibility ... they are NOT toys! If I had any say in it I would stop people like those who would treat their children as if they were playthings from having children at all ... you people who would teach young, vulnerable & trusting children Na'vi are insane. IMO there is no other way to describe you.

Keke
First off, I am writing this in a hurry, so if I come across as rude, haughty, or otherwise, please know that I do not mean so. Instead my tone is of civil inquiry. Keke, from your previous posts, I take you to be a parent with a strong desire to help and assist your children in every possible way (and I thank you for being such a passionately caring person for your youth, it is a trait that society is no longer exemplifying as it should). My question therefore, is this. If a parent were to have a hobby(such as Na'vi, but not necesarily) that they loved greatly and devoted time to working on , then is it still immoral to share this passion with one's children, no matter how strange of a passion it is? Though I have no personnel experience on the matter, I often believe that if I where to have children, I would spend a great deal of my time sharing with them everything that I perceive as beautiful in this world. Toasting marshmallows by a campfire with stories of other times, other adventures. Laying upon a rock and staring up at the starry canvas above. Listening to the symphonies of Beethoven and Mozart one day, and pop or rock then next. What I am trying to say, is that I would seek to share with my children the parts of me that make my spirit fly to new heights of joy, to let them really get to know me I suppose. Naturally however, if they were to dislike in any manner any of it, I would cease sharing it with them. Therefore, even though something like Na'vi is so alien and isolating to the outside world, is it still immoral to share your joys with them? I myself have never been bullied much in school, because I have always been placed in schools where the children all have a more academic focus, and therefore greater tolerance and understanding for the stranger aspects of people. Even still, I would personally rather be bullied at school for being strange, than be ignored and fade into the ambiguity of the masses, indistinguishable.
These are just my contemplations on the matter, your opinion on my arguements would be appreciated, thank you.
New personal modo:

kewnya txamew'itan

Ma keke, I've had to warn you before about being civil in this topic and calling those who disagree with you insane is clearly not civil. Consider this thread closed.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Txur’Itan

Unlocked on request to discuss teaching children Na'vi.
私は太った男だ。

Tirea Aean

OP:
Quote from: Lorey on June 29, 2010, 01:18:25 PM
I read an article awhile ago about this guy who spoke to his son for the first 3 years of his life in Klingon.

(the article I read ->http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2009/11/dinkytown_dad_s.php)

So that lead to this topic.

Would you teach your child (if or when you have them) Na'vi? Would it solely be Na'vi like this guy did with Klingon or would you make the child bilingual? Plenty of parents teach their children their native language and the language where they live, so why not with Na'vi and your own native language?

I think IF I do this, I would teach English first/primarily, maybe Na'vi on the side... who knows. I mean, there's no escaping it because all my relatives only speak Na'vi ENGLISH and I would want them all to see the child and interact with it throughout his/her life

Amaya

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 28, 2011, 09:58:37 PM
OP:
Quote from: Lorey on June 29, 2010, 01:18:25 PM
I read an article awhile ago about this guy who spoke to his son for the first 3 years of his life in Klingon.

(the article I read ->http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2009/11/dinkytown_dad_s.php)

So that lead to this topic.

Would you teach your child (if or when you have them) Na'vi? Would it solely be Na'vi like this guy did with Klingon or would you make the child bilingual? Plenty of parents teach their children their native language and the language where they live, so why not with Na'vi and your own native language?

I think IF I do this, I would teach English first/primarily, maybe Na'vi on the side... who knows. I mean, there's no escaping it because all my relatives only speak Na'vi and I would want them all to see the child and interact with it throughout his/her life

Wow, those are some relatives!

As the aunt of a child who's being raised basically trilingual, I would like to point out that it's not at all necessary to speak to a child, even as an infant, in only one language.  They are very capable of compartmentalizing each language and although they might speak a somewhat-pidgin language at first as they might not know the words for each thing in all languages, that only lasts a little while and then they're fluent in both.

The capacity for language-learning in human babies is instinctive and incredibly powerful and only decreases with age.  Additionally, the more languages a child knows, the more his or her brain is expanded and able to think broadly and understand different concepts later in life.  Do your children a favour...teach them as many languages as you can as early as you can, it will NOT hurt them!

Tirea Aean

OH MY.

I meant to say they only speak ENGLISH....

obviously.

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

QuoteThe capacity for language-learning in human babies is instinctive and incredibly powerful and only decreases with age.  Additionally, the more languages a child knows, the more his or her brain is expanded and able to think broadly and understand different concepts later in life.  Do your children a favour...teach them as many languages as you can as early as you can, it will NOT hurt them!

Glad to here that  :) I want my children to be the first native speakers of Anglo-Saxon/Ancient English in a thousand years, hence reviving it as a living language. (by the way, for those of you who don't know, Ancient English is VERY different from modern English, its not all adding -e to the end of things (i.e. "ye olde whatever"  ;D)). My worry was if I teach them modern English too they'd just speak that instead.

I may teach them some Na'vi too, but then again I'm barely progressing with it myself...

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

yay, this is open again! :P

I am expecting my first son on Halloween. I plan to teach him English and Na'vi. however, not knowing Na'vi that well myself, how would I go about doing so?
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on September 08, 2011, 04:11:50 PM
yay, this is open again! :P

I am expecting my first son on Halloween. I plan to teach him English and Na'vi. however, not knowing Na'vi that well myself, how would I go about doing so?

Well you could call me up lol.

I definitely plan on teaching my kids Na'vi :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

haha, true. how should I go about teaching ma 'itan Na'vi, in your opinion? :-\
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Amaya

The best way to teach babies a language is to just speak it to them or speak it around them.  Babies are natural, instinctive language-sponges  8)

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Amaya on September 12, 2011, 01:49:37 PM
The best way to teach babies a language is to just speak it to them or speak it around them.  Babies are natural, instinctive language-sponges  8)

Sran! Also when your child is old enough to start talking you could teach him to count, the days of the week, colors, Mom/Dad, etc in Na'vi. I think that would be a good place to start. That's how my parents taught me to speak English which I speak very goodly now ;D 

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Syulang

This is interesting. If I have kids in, say, another 15 years or so, I think I would teach them some Na'vi. But I too am not very good,and I would teach them normal English first and foremost.  :)
Oel ayngati kameie ma oeyä aysmukan sì aysmuke ulte Eywa ayngahu livu

munea kifkey, 'awa soaia

Sherilyn

I'm in the process of teaching my children Na'vi.  I love to learn languages, and have learned (and unfortunately lost) several.  Hubby and I speak broken German or marginal Polish when we don't want the kids to know what we're talking about.  They do know some German, Polish, Russian words.  Son began teaching himself Mandarin Chinese when he was about 3 years old.  Seriously, we visited Chinatown when he was about 5 and they understood him quite well.

They begged me to teach them Na'vi while they were off from school this summer, and we started.  They learned how to put together naughty phrases like "Kiss my butt", "Sister mates with warrior Tsu'tey", "You kiss thanator butt", and other lovely prose, LOL!

If/when their behavior needs to be addressed in public, I'll use Na'vi so as not to embarrass them with public correction.  It works!  You can bet I've memorized "Eltu si!"   :)

Right, forgot to mention, son will be 14 in Dec, daughter turned 10 in June.  We also gave Kaltxi Palulukan's book to my 9 year old niece so she could begin learning too.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Reading all this makes me wish I was young again....

I am hoping that some opportunities will arise for me to teach Na'vi to both young people and adults.

If I had children, they would probably end up learning several constructed languages (and might even be encouraged to create their own language).

In the meantime, I am teaching my cats (big and small) Na'vi!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

QuoteThey learned how to put together naughty phrases like "Kiss my butt", "Sister mates with warrior Tsu'tey", "You kiss thanator butt"

HRH

Txìmit oeyä pom!
Tsmuke hu Tsu'tey tsaheyl si!
Ngal palulukanä txìmti pom!

Nice...;D

Sherilyn

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 22, 2011, 09:52:25 AM
QuoteThey learned how to put together naughty phrases like "Kiss my butt", "Sister mates with warrior Tsu'tey", "You kiss thanator butt"

HRH

Txìmit oeyä pom!
Tsmuke hu Tsu'tey tsaheyl si!
Ngal palulukanä txìmti pom!

Nice...;D

IKR?  Thanks for the correct translation, I know they'll be learning it immediately.   ;)