teaching children Na'vi?

Started by Lorey, June 29, 2010, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txärem te Parìk Tina'ite

If I do have children in the future I will be teaching them the Na'vi language. They'll also be taught English since I live in America and the child will need to know the native language of America in order to make a living. I'm hoping that at home we can speak Na'vi to each other, but at school and so on we'll speak English.

It wouldn't be fair to my children if I didn't teach them such a beautiful language. The Na'vi have opened my eyes (it may be a movie, but it opened my eyes wide and made me look into the world I live in) to what humans truly do to the world. We are killing our mother and most are too blind to understand and make a difference. I hope that this wisdom can be passed through the generations to come.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Txärem on October 05, 2011, 08:09:18 PM
It wouldn't be fair to my children if I didn't teach them such a beautiful language. The Na'vi have opened my eyes (it may be a movie, but it opened my eyes wide and made me look into the world I live in) to what humans truly do to the world. We are killing our mother and most are too blind to understand and make a difference. I hope that this wisdom can be passed through the generations to come.

Poltxe nìltsan :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Kamean

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on October 06, 2011, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: Txärem on October 05, 2011, 08:09:18 PM

Poltxe nìltsan :)

-Txonä Rolyu
Nìngay. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

srane, ma Syulang, ma oeyä sìltsana 'eylan. English first. :P

since I am in a relationship with two mothers and one father, our son will call my female partner mom/my, my male partner dad/dy, and me sa'nok/'nu. XD going to go with 'sa'nu' first; easier to pronounce. I thought it might be easier, as his first words when he calls me sa'nu, to not say 'ma' until his speaking is better. you think that's a good idea or should I practice it with him right away?

baby coming very, very soon! I'm excited and nervous and happy and horrified and anxious and terrified and excited ma oeyä Eywa things will get very interesting when he is born! :D
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Human No More

Good luck :)

One thing to think about though - if you're the only person speaking Na'vi, he will likely stop learning - he needs multiple people. D'armond Speers tried it with Klingon with his son, and it ended up not working because he didn't have anyone else to speak it to.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.08/mustread.html?pg=8
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

I have a 'itan :D

it's very interesting- he doesn't respond too much when we talk to him, but when I speak to him in Na'vi, he calms down. is able to understand better the language of his spirit and his parents' spirits. he is barely a week and a half old, but I believe he can already See. :]
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Sezetirea216

Omg! Ur kid is soooo cool! When i have a kid i would like to teach him na'vi and english, but in reality i am a lazy butt and any child of mine has absolutely no attention span :)
Oe mäkxu ma nikre ne'ìm ulte kulat

Kamean

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on November 13, 2011, 12:51:06 PM

it's very interesting- he doesn't respond too much when we talk to him, but when I speak to him in Na'vi, he calms down. is able to understand better the language of his spirit and his parents' spirits. he is barely a week and a half old, but I believe he can already See. :]
Congratulatons! :D
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Nongyu te Syulang Swokioang'itan

Ummm... This is a sort of weird topic to me. I would learn my kids Na'vi, but there is one thing I wonder... Am I still a child? I do sort of get the feeling that I am the youngest at this forum...
In the unwieldy situation of knowing way more grammar than vocab

Txärem te Parìk Tina'ite

Quote from: Nantang tihusahaw on November 27, 2011, 12:34:35 PM
Ummm... This is a sort of weird topic to me. I would learn my kids Na'vi, but there is one thing I wonder... Am I still a child? I do sort of get the feeling that I am the youngest at this forum...

Oh, ma 'eylan, you are surely not the youngest out of all members on this forum? After all, I am a 15 year old and I thought that at one point someone was younger than me on this forum. Don't feel like that, though. It doesn't hurt to be young.  :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That is very interesting. Na'vi has a character that I could see that would do it. It is like the difference between listening to classical music and rock and roll. A friend of mine had a lion cub who would stay and listen to classical, but leave if rock music was played. My dog would come and lay behind me when I played the organ many years ago (classical and scared music).

It would be interesting to see how your child reacted to Klingon, which is just the opposite from Na'vi.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

I think I've seen a 13 or 14 yearold on here before. :D No one really cares about age here, I guess :P

archaic

There is no defined point at which you stop being a child, the Na'vi probably have it right with "When you are ready."
That's when you are truly ready, not necessarily when you think you are ready.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: archaic on November 29, 2011, 06:35:06 AM

There is no defined point at which you stop being a child, the Na'vi probably have it right with "When you are ready."
That's when you are truly ready, not necessarily when you think you are ready.

It's also not at a strictly defined age either, unlike most, if not all, of modern civilization.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 28, 2011, 10:04:10 PM
I think I've seen a 13 or 14 yearold on here before. :D No one really cares about age here, I guess :P

Welcum 2 teh internetz, ma T.A., where the youngsters as young as 13 can lurk about xD

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tsmuktengan

Such young little lives do not understand yet. They are willing to but they don't yet. They however listen a lot to the sounds. I guess Na'vi intonations, musicality, pronunciation and sounds in some way can be intriguing compared to English. It is very different and can therefore be very interesting for a baby that loves to discover everything.

'Oma Tirea

A good reason to work on your Na'vi pronounciation if you're still sounding a little Na'vÌnglìsì ;)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on December 18, 2011, 09:52:15 PM
A good reason to work on your Na'vi pronounciation if you're still sounding a little Na'vÌnglìsì ;)

Mine would be sort of weird I guess (imagine a Na'vinÌfrancey with slightly/soft rolling 'r').  ;D

'Oma Tirea

I've heard that in TS: could be something like [tʼan.ʦan.a k(ə)ʀ] :P

I tried to get this francophone to say 'RR with your tounge, but it's not easy ;P

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on December 20, 2011, 06:33:20 AM
I've heard that in TS: could be something like [tʼan.ʦan.a k(ə)ʀ] :P

I tried to get this francophone to say 'RR with your tounge, but it's not easy ;P

To do this, a french guy has to think about spanish accent.

I love this sound because it really sounds like purring (like a very happy cat) in several Na'vi words. But it can be hard to french people to pronounce it. That's among the things that make Na'vi fun to learn.

Tirea Aean

the British HATE 'rr with a passion ;D