teaching children Na'vi?

Started by Lorey, June 29, 2010, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

P.A.'li makto

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 20, 2011, 02:10:43 PM
the British HATE 'rr with a passion ;D
I wish I could pronounce it! But I have serious difficulties with this sound even in my own native language (and we have quite a lot of words with it!  :() and people often recognize this weakness in my speach ... In Na'vi it's even a bigger problem for me!  :(
This is sad, very sad only...

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Kxeyo

I just hate it because I learned it the wrong way. :P

...oh, and I'm not British. ::)
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on December 20, 2011, 03:54:04 PM

back of the throat? :P

Didn't say ONLY the British HATE it. ::) ;D

Kxeyo

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 20, 2011, 05:22:04 PM
Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on December 20, 2011, 03:54:04 PM

back of the throat? :P

No, I just...Taronyu explained it too me but I partly forgot. I don't trill hard enough, yeah, but even put my tongue into the wrong position or something...
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I've been calling our 15 month old vrrteptsyìp enough that my five year can say 'rr perfectly now!  :o
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on December 20, 2011, 06:32:43 PM
I've been calling our 15 month old vrrteptsyìp enough that my five year can say 'rr perfectly now!  :o

Terrible.

;D :P ::)

Tsmuktengan

;D ;D ;D

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

tìhusangham ayngä oeru teya si!  :D
'Ivong, Na'vi!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That's certainly one way to do it!

One day almost two years ago, I got really angry at something, and just started yelling vrrtep over and over. After about 5 minutes of this, when my mouth and tongue had loosened up, I fould I was rolling R's very nicely. I have had little problem with them since.

I would suggest starting by hitting your finger with a hammer. That should get you angry enough  ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 21, 2011, 03:58:08 PM

I would NOT suggest starting by hitting your finger with a hammer. Even though That should get you angry enough  ;)

#FTFY

Tsmuktengan

The thing is that I recon hearing Neytiri at the beginning of the film saying "ayavrrtep", but if she did roll the 'rr', she rolled it in a more sharp way, not exactly like a Spanish one. It seemed a rolled are close to the way French pronounce the 'r' one, which is sharper.

So I wonder if imitating the Spanish accent for the 'rr' is good since it is not the exact way to pronounce it. We may want to pronounce it in a more sharp way especially when something annoys us (Na'vi can show feelings easily only by the sounds).

Tirea Aean

hmm. I suppose Na'vi 'rr kinda is a slighly elongated, more exaggerated trill. but its not supposed to be obnoxious. the spanish rr is quite close enough, methinks.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 22, 2011, 02:35:32 PM
hmm. I suppose Na'vi 'rr kinda is a slighly elongated, more exaggerated trill. but its not supposed to be obnoxious. the spanish rr is quite close enough, methinks.

The description of rr in most of the pronunciation guides says 'strongly trilled', and that is the way I pronounce it. I do roll it a bit harder for words like vrrtep, but most of the time I suspect I roll R's harder than most Spanish speakers. I don't think this is out of place if you consider the felinoid qualities of the Na'vi. Such a sound is very feline, especially for the big cats, who do not purr. And the biggest cat that purrs (the cougar) has a very 'strongly trilled' purr.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]