The Shaman's Song - Way Tiretuä

Started by eejmensenikbenhet, June 08, 2017, 12:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eejmensenikbenhet

Kame ayngat, ma smuk!

Today I've been listening over and over to various POV video's of the Na'vi River Journey in the Mo'ara valley to find out exactly what the Shaman is singing.
So far I've come to the conclusion that the lyrics consist of 3 verses, repeated over and over in a couple of different renditions, with the Tsahìk interjecting srane, irayo, rol and stawm oeti/nìmun from time to time.

EDIT august 11 2017:
The lyrics as confirmed by Karyu Pawl on Naviteri.org:

1.Ma na'rìng alor,O beautiful forest,
Mì na'rìng lu tsngawmpay.There are tears in the forest.
Atokirina'.Woodsprite(s).
Awnga leym, lereym sanWe cry out, calling,
Ma Eywa (3x)"O Eywa!"
2.'Awstengyawnem,Connected as one,
Ma Sa'nok aNawm.O Great Mother.
Ma Eywa (3x)"O Eywa!"
3.Tìnewfa leNa'viBy the People's will,
Na'rìng tìng lawr.The forest is singing.
Atokirina'Woodsprite(s)
Awnga leym, lereym san,We cry out, calling,
Ma Eywa (3x)"O Eywa!"

Thanks to everyone who joined in trying to figure this out (we were very very close!) and thanks to awngeyä Karyu for the complete lyrics!

DrowElfMorwen

Is there really good audio out there, without extra noise? I actually regret not recording the music myself at some point!

I asked about the lyrics while at Disney; the staff told me there used to be lyrics in their break room, but that they disappeared ~_~

Thank you for doing this!

Tsyal

Irayo for sharing this! I've been trying to distinguish the Shaman's words from videos but could never get past "Ma Eywa" and "Irayo." Granted, I'm still a newbie.  :P

StumHasey

I have created a video which is a compilation of other videos (Read the video's description to see I do not claim ownership of any of it.) to make a looped song which the Shaman of Songs sings on the Na'vi River Journey. You can loop the song by right clicking the video and clicking the word "Loop." Perhaps it would help you tune into the words better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXZajrIoug.

I found this link http://naviteri.org/2017/07/way-tiretua-the-shamans-song/ by Pawl who claims he has versions on his computer, and with that I assume he wrote the lyrics. Do any of you know who this user is and if he is legitimate?

Toliman

Good video :)

And welcome here on LN, ma StumHasey :)

Lynxcat

Quote from: StumHasey on July 26, 2017, 12:19:53 PM
I have created a video which is a compilation of other videos (Read the video's description to see I do not claim ownership of any of it.) to make a looped song which the Shaman of Songs sings on the Na'vi River Journey. You can loop the song by right clicking the video and clicking the word "Loop." Perhaps it would help you tune into the words better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXZajrIoug.

I found this link http://naviteri.org/2017/07/way-tiretua-the-shamans-song/ by Pawl who claims he has versions on his computer, and with that I assume he wrote the lyrics. Do any of you know who this user is and if he is legitimate?

Great video!  :)
Uniltirantokx fmawn! :) :ikran: http://avatarsequels.com/

Vawmataw

Quote from: StumHasey on July 26, 2017, 12:19:53 PM
Yes, he's 100% legitimate. He is the communications professor Paul Frommer from the University of Southern California, creator of the Na'vi language.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

eejmensenikbenhet

Thanks for the video, ma StumHasey! And yes that is dr. Pawl Frommer, our primary source for canon information.

allrock123

From an artistic perception ,, the charter which still has no formal name simply (shaman of songs) is carrying out a ceremony in recognition and humble "thanks" , for example wood sprites (What are the wood sprites to the Na'vi ?) are recognized (I see your spirit) internally in the heart as "very pure spirits" and recognition and thanks giving are given to the all mother Eywa (seen in recognition as a deity by the Na'vi world view) the structure of the song and how it needs to flow together in "core meaning" may need work with the help of Paul former because the English language has such a diffrent core expression and dialog structure that is very diffrent from the Na'vi language expression "place" she is basically reflecting through spoken and gesture body language we see you  (in a spiritual manor) we thank and welcome these huge big picture symbiotic relations or "bonds" the weave together and are a root part of our family/community circle (all our relations we are humble before you and thank you (spiritual perspective of reality) or we praise you (religious perspective of reality) Notice her gestures and voice as she speaks "Irayo" where do they reflect from ? this is very important because this expression "place" is internally recognized by our core empathy recognition as a human "being" (our heart sees it) and it resonates from this "place of expression"   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYUGmq6r4I

archaic

Quote from: allrock123 on August 08, 2017, 09:19:36 AM
for example wood sprites (What are the wood sprites to the Na'vi ?)
Do you mean atokirina' ?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Blue Elf

Just now I noticed, that name of this topic is not correct - it's not Shaman of Songs, but Shaman's Song (or Song of Shaman). And Paul used Tiretu instead of Tsahìk, so this song is intended for any shaman, not only for spiritual clan leaders.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

eejmensenikbenhet

Yeah, I didn't know back then that it was called Tiretuä Way and just translated "Shaman of Songs".
I will change the topic and add Pawl's definitive lyrics in the first post.

allrock123

Quote from: archaic on August 08, 2017, 02:24:51 PM
Quote from: allrock123 on August 08, 2017, 09:19:36 AM
for example wood sprites (What are the wood sprites to the Na'vi ?)
Do you mean atokirina' ?

Not what they are in the Na'vi language   ,, But what they represent symbolically ,, for example "there are tears in the forest"  are they implying the "wood sprites" (recognized by the Na'vi themselves as very pure spirits) an emotive expression on the part of the "Atokirina"  or that the "Atokirina" are "the tears of the forest.. ?  The Na'vi spiritual ethos recognizes ancestral "bonds" and Aspects of the forest Reflect there voices and Memory's"     

Jak Dawsiin

great video  :) i wish they could incorporate Na'vi with musical instruments along with the songs. subtle soft instruments like a harp and flutes, maybe have some Na'vi back in the trees playing along with the wind and river sounds.

Jak Dawsiin

Melìsa

Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on June 08, 2017, 12:54:49 PM
Kame ayngat, ma smuk!

Today I've been listening over and over to various POV video's of the Na'vi River Journey in the Mo'ara valley to find out exactly what the Shaman is singing.
So far I've come to the conclusion that the lyrics consist of 3 verses, repeated over and over in a couple of different renditions, with the Tsahìk interjecting srane, irayo, rol and stawm oeti/nìmun from time to time.

EDIT august 11 2017:
The lyrics as confirmed by Karyu Pawl on Naviteri.org:

1.Ma na'rìng alor,O beautiful forest,
Mì na'rìng lu tsngawmpay.There are tears in the forest.
Ma Eywa (3x)"O Eywa!"
2.'Awstengyawnem,Connected as one,
Ma Sa'nok aNawm.O Great Mother.
Ma Eywa (3x)"O Eywa!"
3.Tìnewfa leNa'viBy the People's will,
Na'rìng tìng lawr.The forest is singing.
Atokirina'Woodsprite(s)
Awnga leym, lereym san,We cry out, calling,
Ma Eywa (3x)"O Eywa!"

Thanks to everyone who joined in trying to figure this out (we were very very close!) and thanks to awngeyä Karyu for the complete lyrics!

This song is glued to my brain I LOVE IT!!! ...It's also soothing and relaxing, the Tsahìk of song's words are hypnotic to me ...whenever I'm sad I listen to her ...she straight up calms me it's like her and Eywa are healing me of stress whenever I hear her cuz I get this warm feeling in my body whenever I listen to this song
that would be cool if there was a karaoke version one day, then we all can join in this calming tsaheylu <3 she has a beautiful voice she's a good singer too :)

Kaltxì Oel Ayngati Kameie Oeru syaw Melìsa I love and respect the Na'vi
Oe tawtute lu