What if the Na´vi had been non-humanoid?

Started by Redpaintednavi, September 30, 2010, 10:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Truro the Lost on October 03, 2010, 06:16:41 PM

:( Its true. And the scientist in me is irritated at the fact that Na'vi developed humanoid despite the very big differences (six limbs down to four....) But perhaps Prolemuris is the indicator of what happened evolutionarily.

D9 was also an awesome movie...

You do have a point. I think that there would have to be some major changes in the story if the Na'vi wasn't a humanoid. Jake falling in love with Neytiri would be much harder to do in a good way.

Also about the Na'vi being the only animal on pandora with 2 arms and 2 legs where everything else is Hexapedes. We do actually see something that looks like an ongoing merge from 4 to 2 arms on the Monkey like animal in the beginning.

Ekirä

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on October 05, 2010, 12:59:17 PM
Also about the Na'vi being the only animal on pandora with 2 arms and 2 legs where everything else is Hexapedes. We do actually see something that looks like an ongoing merge from 4 to 2 arms on the Monkey like animal in the beginning.

Yeah, I had forgotten about how the prolemuris' arms were merged.......and one thing that I noticed later on is that they have a small stripe of fur on their forehead. Barely noticeable, but it's there.

I could swear that somewhere in the ASG it said that it was speculated the Na'vi evolved from the prolemuris, but I'm not sure on this.

Amaya

you're right, I know it does say that in there too, although I'm not going to go look up the page number right this second 8)

Also, the Na'vi aren't the only 4-limbed "creatures" we see, there's also ikran.  They have fore-wings and hind-wings but no third set of limbs (legs), such as the fkio and toruk have.

Lisa

Quote from: Ekirä on October 05, 2010, 02:09:14 PM
Yeah, I had forgotten about how the prolemuris' arms were merged.......and one thing that I noticed later on is that they have a small stripe of fur on their forehead. Barely noticeable, but it's there.

I could swear that somewhere in the ASG it said that it was speculated the Na'vi evolved from the prolemuris, but I'm not sure on this.

I think the prolemuris is the only other animal with one tswin, like the Na'vi.   All the others, I seem to remember, have two.
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Ekirä

Quote from: Tirea Ikran on October 05, 2010, 02:26:48 PM
I think the prolemuris is the only other animal with one tswin, like the Na'vi.   All the others, I seem to remember, have two.

Yeah, as far as I know you're right on that. Of course we haven't seen all of Pandora's fauna, but from what we've seen everything (animal) has two neural queues whereas the Na'vi and Prolemuris have one.

ToktorGrace

Probably similar to our own human evolution - Prolemuris and Na'vi had a common ancestor.

Its still a bit of a jump imho, but at least its kind of there.

So cute :3 lol...

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Human No More

Well, I am a xenophile... While I will admit that I have only ever fallen in love with humanoids and Neytiri is by far the most beautiful being in existence, but I think that if a sentient non-humanoid being was known and capable of the same feelings, I wouldn't instantly rule it out.
If you want to see humanoid and non-humanoid love, watch Galaxy Quest, it does it very well and convincingly, I think :) .
I think it might not have had the same effect on as many people as it did, but no reason to say it wouldn't at all. For many people though, it wouldn't, because skypeople find it very hard to care about anyone that isn't very similar :(

That said, the Na'vi being humanoid is an interesting one, as possibly could mean some kind of shared evolutionary origin (very common in scifi with multiple humanoid species), although the prolemuris were clearly intended to be an evolutionary link between Na'vi and six-limbed creatures, which worked fairly well.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ekirä

Quote from: Truro the Lost on October 05, 2010, 07:05:31 PM
Probably similar to our own human evolution - Prolemuris and Na'vi had a common ancestor.

Its still a bit of a jump imho, but at least its kind of there.

So cute :3 lol...

*snip*

I just realized from looking at the prolemuris' two fingered hand, I wonder if (presuming the Na'vi did evolve from the prolemuris, all speculation here) when the two arms merged together, well, 2+2=4. ;) And that's why the Na'vi have four fingers.

HRH. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have thought of this.

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Ekirä on October 07, 2010, 04:30:07 PM

I just realized from looking at the prolemuris' two fingered hand, I wonder if (presuming the Na'vi did evolve from the prolemuris, all speculation here) when the two arms merged together, well, 2+2=4. ;) And that's why the Na'vi have four fingers.

HRH. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have thought of this.

That was my assumption as soon as I saw prolemuris - I don't think it really was there to serve any other purpose (as many of the little critters invented by Cameron could have fulfilled that role). Especially since they focused on the single tswin and the conjoined arms.
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

überdoodlet

I think that avatar would not nearly have had the same effect...
Watching the movie, you almost forget that you are on a different planet, Pandora.
It is kinda similar to our rainforests, in my mind. Having the Na'vi be less human looking would make it like an outer space/ alien move, to me.
If the Na'vi were non-humanoid, it probably wouldn't be as good, emotionally.
Na'vi cry, scream, smile, just like humans. They express emotion the same way as us.
If they didn't, it would be extremely hard to emotionally connect to the characters and the conflict. 

i think we all agree that it gust wouldn't take with the economy.

Redpaintednavi

Just found a picture of a dinosaurid shaman. Not as handsome as a Na´vi.

überdoodlet

Quote from: Redpaintednavi on October 19, 2010, 04:22:08 PM

Kehe, definately not as handsome.

Human No More

Kehe :P

I'd argue they'e still humanoid though - head, arms, body, legs. Unless you mean that they are reptilians rather than mammals, but I consider that humanoid, as does most scifi.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

'Oma Tirea

nìNa'vi, nìvä'...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on October 20, 2010, 12:38:23 AM

nìNa'vi, nìvä'...

huh. reminds me of the jackals from halo.

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Ekirä