What makes AVATAR (and its fans) sad

Started by Jake_Sully_1, November 16, 2010, 12:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eìrä

Quote from: Jake_Sully_1 on November 16, 2010, 12:21:24 PM
Hi all

Numerous fans of AVATAR say that the movie somehow makes them sad. Or even depressed. That goes for me too. I've been thinking why that is. I have two theories.

Reason #1.): Contrast to Earth
The obvious "it's always greener on the other side". Pandora is more beautiful, unspoiled, "sexier", younger, not overpopulated, all life is one big family, much more opportunities, etc. Obviously that's all better and more attractive than Earth and it's exactly what Cameron wanted to transport his message(s). Obviously this has the same effect as showing an inmate of a prison a nice sandy beach...
It's no real surprise that this effect makes people sad to have to return to their overpopulated, stinking cities without any job opportunities, etc.

Reason #2.) Truths and Lies
Avatar is full of symbolism, morals and truths about humans. And, like most Hollywood films, it's also full of lies. You know, the lies that sell a product, for instance: "The good guys win!", etc.
Only in this movie, all these things are so obvious, that the observer automatically detects which things are true and which are not.
It's true that human beings are horrible, mean and do the cruelest things to each other when in groups, for money or fame. We all feel that the felling of the home tree is "true". It's something that does happen, in many different contexts. And that's what's really depressing about AVATAR.
The strong prey on the weak, the weak are exploited, f***ed over, raped, castrated, driven away, murdered, disrespected, etc., just because those stronger have the means to do it.
On the other hand, we know the happy ending of AVATAR, the turnaround is a complete "lie".
There is no "Eywa" on Earth that comes to the rescue of the weak.
We simply know the bad stuff is true, the good stuff is your average Hollywood lie.
AVATAR is a mix between a "symbolic documentary" showing us what's bad and a typical fairy tail, where we know we're being lied at, where the good guys win.
The harsh conclusion is: Good exists in fairy tales. In reality, the bad is true and the norm.
That's depressing.
Agreed! And i'm suffering now! And this is not because of Avatar movie...it's because of me! Long time ago, in 2016, my big brother toked a Blu-ray CD with Avatar movie....i was very happy! Now i'm not! In 15 January 2019 my mom tooked my Blu-ray CD with Avatar and i asked her: "And...where...where is my Blu-ray CD with Avatar?" and my mom told me: "It's not! I'm sorry because i did this, i don't like when i have to do something what you don't like! Never! You will not se your Blu-ray CD with Avatar ever in your life!"....i was crying because my Blu-ray CD with Avatar is not...and i'm still crying!
But... everything has changed! Since i am on LN Community i'm feel happy...but i still miss my Blu-ray CD with Avatar and Avatar movie!
Oe tsun pivlltxe nìNa'vi nìteng ma eylan! Oel ayngati kameie nìwotx! 'Rrta lu oeyä kelku!

FÌTSENGE LU AWNGEYÄ!
LN Community - Second Family and Home!

Feel Free To Correct My Na'vi Writing If I Did Mistakes!
 Oe lu numeyu numtsengä alu LearnNa'vi! Irayo nìtxan ta ma oeyä Ayeylan ulte ta ma Tìtstewan!
Nìolo' Pxoeng Seykxel Ma Eylan!

KEMÌRI A NGARU PRRTE' KE LU, TSAKEM RÄ'Ä SIVI AYLAHERU!

Ta:Eìrä :-*

archaic

I now that many ebay sellers do not like to sell to buyers in Romania, but what about Romanian sites?
I think I remember being told about one called Zipy? (not sure I spelled that correctly)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Eìrä

Quote from: archaic on March 26, 2019, 02:04:01 PM
I now that many ebay sellers do not like to sell to buyers in Romania, but what about Romanian sites?
I think I remember being told about one called Zipy? (not sure I spelled that correctly)
Yep! Romanian sites...  :-\ ! Zipy? Who is Zipy?
When my big brother tooked my Blu-ray CD with Avatar, he bought the Blu-ray CD with Avatar from Mediagalaxy! You can find a site writing Mediagalaxy! HRH! There are many interesting things!
Oe tsun pivlltxe nìNa'vi nìteng ma eylan! Oel ayngati kameie nìwotx! 'Rrta lu oeyä kelku!

FÌTSENGE LU AWNGEYÄ!
LN Community - Second Family and Home!

Feel Free To Correct My Na'vi Writing If I Did Mistakes!
 Oe lu numeyu numtsengä alu LearnNa'vi! Irayo nìtxan ta ma oeyä Ayeylan ulte ta ma Tìtstewan!
Nìolo' Pxoeng Seykxel Ma Eylan!

KEMÌRI A NGARU PRRTE' KE LU, TSAKEM RÄ'Ä SIVI AYLAHERU!

Ta:Eìrä :-*

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.