Why the Na'vi have long hair

Started by Seze Mune, March 05, 2012, 03:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

Well, black people do (not to sound racist  :-X ) and my friend only unbraids it about every 3 or 4 months
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Lolet

Quote from: Reykoveyzä te Weru'falä Haflak'ite on April 04, 2012, 09:43:06 AM
Well, black people do (not to sound racist  :-X ) and my friend only unbraids it about every 3 or 4 months

You're talking about corn rows, I was thinking more like a french braid.  :D

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

*understanding dawns* oh! I imagine that would get greasy ;D but still,  I can't see the Na'vi ever unbraiding their actual tswin
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Seze Mune

Quote from: Reykoveyzä te Weru'falä Haflak'ite on April 05, 2012, 11:37:24 AM
*understanding dawns* oh! I imagine that would get greasy ;D but still,  I can't see the Na'vi ever unbraiding their actual tswin

It would get pretty ratty-fuzzy looking if they didn't do a little grooming on it.   North American indians used bear grease, raccoon grease or deer marrow. If the Na'vi don't wash it, maybe they use yerik grease?    :-\

Lolet

Quote from: Seze Mune on April 05, 2012, 11:25:49 PM

It would get pretty ratty-fuzzy looking if they didn't do a little grooming on it.   North American indians used bear grease, raccoon grease or deer marrow. If the Na'vi don't wash it, maybe they use yerik grease?    :-\

Some cultures also used their hair as napkins. Kind of gross, but when you don't have styling product...  ;)

Seze Mune

...portable snacks?  Who'd've thought it?    :-\  :-[  ::)

Human No More

*understanding dawns* oh! I imagine that would get greasy ;D but still,  I can't see the Na'vi ever unbraiding their actual tswin
It would get pretty ratty-fuzzy looking if they didn't do a little grooming on it.   North American indians used bear grease, raccoon grease or deer marrow. If the Na'vi don't wash it, maybe they use yerik grease? 
Neytiri's hair looks in very good condition at the tree of voices, they would certainly seem to wash it.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Alyara Arati

An interesting idea.  They're in a tropical rain forest, so it would get pretty thoroughly wet fairly routinely.  That might be one reason that they braid their hair: to keep it from plastering itself all over their faces when they're trying to hunt or whatever. :-\
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Lolet

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 07, 2012, 03:24:27 PM

An interesting idea.  They're in a tropical rain forest, so it would get pretty thoroughly wet fairly routinely.  That might be one reason that they braid their hair: to keep it from plastering itself all over their faces when they're trying to hunt or whatever. :-\

Their hair is probably super frizzy from all the humidity. Though that's not as bad as static hair in the desert. So annoying.  :P

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Keep in mind that due to the studios desire to remove virtually ANY cultural aspect of the Na'vi from the movie, we really don't know. Perhaps they do un braid it and wash it, perhaps the nerves are not overly sensitive to touch like that of let's say, the nerves in a sore tooth.

I get the feeling however that the Na'vi are a generally clean people. One would HAVE to expect that in a community of 3,000 living in a tree that I can only imagine doesn't get the best ventilation.

And I think I agree with Seze Mune's post about grease. Likely some sort of animal grease is used to help the hair as well. It IS a form of protection against super cold and might help keep bugs out too. So who knows?

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Takmeyalan te Tsu'erak 'Ewfwefpìkxap'itan

I think that it's because of my opinion: long hair is awesome.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pure white would be disturbing. :)
We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on April 08, 2012, 06:52:20 PM
Keep in mind that due to the studios desire to remove virtually ANY cultural aspect of the Na'vi from the movie, we really don't know. Perhaps they do un braid it and wash it, perhaps the nerves are not overly sensitive to touch like that of let's say, the nerves in a sore tooth.

I get the feeling however that the Na'vi are a generally clean people. One would HAVE to expect that in a community of 3,000 living in a tree that I can only imagine doesn't get the best ventilation.

And I think I agree with Seze Mune's post about grease. Likely some sort of animal grease is used to help the hair as well. It IS a form of protection against super cold and might help keep bugs out too. So who knows?

Why did the studio want to remove Na'vi cultural aspects?

As for the ventilation in the tree...I bet they get enough.  The major thing I would worry about is sleeping at night.  After all, if you're in a hammock and they are placed at random, then you might just get a warm little shower whilst  you're trying to sleep...if anyone is above you.  Think about that...if you lived in a tree and slept in a hammock, what would you do when nature calls in the middle of the night?  Um....no need to respond.  ;)

Human No More

The size makes ventilation less of a problem, particularly with how open it is. Also, no, not 3000 people :P
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman