You will boycott AVATAR 2 or 3 when...

Started by Irtaviš Ačankif, September 22, 2011, 01:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following events will make you boycott AVATAR 2 or 3?

Avatar 2 is the same old story of the humans coming back, another AVTR, another love story, another Toruk Makto, and another war.
0 (0%)
JC decides to throw Frommer away and use gibberish for Na'vi in Avatar 2 and 3
3 (11.1%)
Neytiri looks like she's made of plastic and speaks worse Na'vi than Grace does
0 (0%)
Avatar 2 and 3 does have Na'vi, but with ASG words and horrible pronounciation
0 (0%)
Cameron completely messes AVATAR 2 up, with no Na'vi language, fake exaggerated 3D, a bad unrealistically left-wing storyline (no offense, but like the unofficial AVTR 2 at this forum), totally bad motion capture, &c
2 (7.4%)
All of the above
10 (37%)
OE LÌSYU NA'VIYÄ HAPXÌTU FRAKRR! I WILL ALWAYS LOVE AVATAR AND WHATEVER COMES AFTER IT!
12 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

archaic

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 05, 2011, 07:18:08 PM
JC will have to re-hire Frommer. That will waste a lot of money. Cameron does not learn Na'vi AFAIK so he will need to get Frommer again.

And I think the problem is that most of the Na'vi info we have is far from "official." They might not even be in-universe Cameronian canon! I don't know how much words Cameron will think "sound bad" and throw away. He was bold enough to throw away Torukä Maktoyu anyway!

Umm, pretty sure a couple of scenes with no CG would probably save more than they pay Frommer.

Quote from: Kamean on October 06, 2011, 10:41:41 AM
Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 05, 2011, 04:34:11 PM
I tend to disagree with the more die-hard fans here, since I am a fan of lì'fya leNa'vi and not really Uniltìrantokx. Actually I like watching AVATAR more to nitpick the actors' Na'vi... ;D

And what I fear is that 20th Century Fox or Lightstorm will complain about the costs and time it takes to train actors in Na'vi phonetics (they were pretty pissed of in AVTR 1 with all of the Na'vi stuff). And yes, I hope that some of us can be Na'vi assistants...

The sad fact is the VAST MAJORITY of the Avatar fan community doesn't care a bit about the language. About 70% of people at Avatar Forum still say Toruk Macto, Omaticaya, Utraya Mokri, and Sylwanin. Some of them still don't know that Jake's First Flight just has gibberish lyrics. A small portion doesn't even know Na'vi is learnable and working and still cites things from December 2009 stating that "only Frommer knows the language." We should be doing more ...eh...
propaganda for the Na'vi language at AVTR forums especially. I can't see anybody here posting there!
It's sad. Wery sad only.© :(
Re-education and information management ?

Are you familiar with nudging theory?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Human No More

...that's if he even needs hiring. I would guess that after creating a full language, you aren't exactly going to leave it alone when it's needed :)

Also, there were no pure live action scenes - every one had visual effects, from the background of Pandora to the plastic in the exopacks :P
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Irtaviš Ačankif

Okay. So imagine JC doing AVTR 2. He has a million dollars to spare according to the budget. Would he

1. Use the million dollars to make the 3D more awesome, maybe create some better visual effect and also a 10.2 surround track, attracting effects fans looking for a thrill
OR
2. Hire Frommer to create a bunch of new sentences and hire bunches of linguistic coaches to teach them to the actors, attracting Na'vi learners and linguistics enthusiasts?

I assure you that there are much more effects fans than linguistics fans!
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

archaic

Cameron wouldn't choose, he'd have both! Budgets are things that happen to other people. Like movies that don't make a mint.

Quote from: Human No More on October 13, 2011, 02:09:41 PM
...that's if he even needs hiring. I would guess that after creating a full language, you aren't exactly going to leave it alone when it's needed :)

Also, there were no pure live action scenes - every one had visual effects, from the background of Pandora to the plastic in the exopacks :P
No whole scenes admittedly, but some shots were CGI free.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Example: shot of Jake looking around stupidly inside the link chamber

Seze Mune

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: archaic on October 14, 2011, 01:46:40 AM
Cameron wouldn't choose, he'd have both! Budgets are things that happen to other people. Like movies that don't make a mint.

I hope you're right, here. :o

Ningey

By my reckon there's no reason so far to fear that Cameron is going to screw up the whole thing.
Since he has already made up his mind on the Na'vi in Avatar I, I think he just won't dismiss what he has established there (and because he had considered so many things about the Na'vi he had taken in Karyu Pawl in the first place - to get the right "feel" for everything. It would be like dismissing the Klingon language from Star Trek...).

But in the most unlikely event that this does become a mess, I'll nevertheless stay true to Avatar I and simply set a divergence point afterwards (i. e. I won't consider anything that happens afterwards).
Anyway, as long as I don't have proof of the opposite, I believe that Cameron is going to stay true to what he has developed in Avatar I.

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Irtaviš Ačankif

oeyä point of view too, ma Ningey. I will definitely write a replacement fanfic for AVTR 2 if the story/language/characters get screwed up. How about creating backup canon? That sounds fun, though it will probably make JC angry ;)

Niwantaw

Only mostly AWOL.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Niwantaw on October 15, 2011, 10:40:15 AM
Why so pessimistic anyway?

Maybe based on the Star Wars double trilogy.  Imo, the prequel triology was far inferior to the first trilogy.  Based on past experience, I think Cameron is in the business for excellence and not for the $$$$.

Irtaviš Ačankif

What? I love the prequels much better  ;D I really loathe The Clone Wars though...archetypal bad sequel.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 15, 2011, 04:56:03 PM
What? I love the prequels much better  ;D I really loathe The Clone Wars though...archetypal bad sequel.

SOLD!  You take the prequels, I'll take the originals!  Win/win!!!  ♥   ;D

Ningey

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 15, 2011, 04:29:00 PM
Quote from: Niwantaw on October 15, 2011, 10:40:15 AM
Why so pessimistic anyway?

Maybe based on the Star Wars double trilogy.  Imo, the prequel triology was far inferior to the first trilogy.  Based on past experience, I think Cameron is in the business for excellence and not for the $$$$.

True enough, though.
Let others screw things up and let Cameron do things the proper way - business as usual, that is... ;D

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Irtaviš Ačankif

I fear it will be worse than Star Wars.

My reason is that AVTR already completed the storyline quite a bit. The only reasonable continuations (which must involve humans) follow

1. Environmentalist groups and the government lobby RDA into closing down; somebody finds unobtanium replacement on an uninhabited world; everybody lives happily ever after

2. RDA somehow gets praised for their actions, the humans come back, and AVTR basically repeats itself.

which would both suck.

However, if AVTR 2 and 3 could manage not to include humans outside of short flashbacks or cutscenes to Earth of environmentalists campaigning, RDA getting attacked, etc, and focus on a storyline where all parties are Na'vi and conflict between Na'vi, I would love it. However, in that case there would need to be WAY more Na'vi, which would probably require LN.org to re-dub the whole movie in order to preserve...uhh..our fan-ness ;D

Seze Mune

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 16, 2011, 09:53:51 AM

My reason is that AVTR already completed the storyline quite a bit. The only reasonable continuations (which must involve humans) follow

1. Environmentalist groups and the government lobby RDA into closing down; somebody finds unobtanium replacement on an uninhabited world; everybody lives happily ever after

2. RDA somehow gets praised for their actions, the humans come back, and AVTR basically repeats itself.

which would both suck.

However, if AVTR 2 and 3 could manage not to include humans outside of short flashbacks or cutscenes to Earth of environmentalists campaigning, RDA getting attacked, etc, and focus on a storyline where all parties are Na'vi and conflict between Na'vi, I would love it. However, in that case there would need to be WAY more Na'vi, which would probably require LN.org to re-dub the whole movie in order to preserve...uhh..our fan-ness ;D

Well, we already know the storyline will include oceans.  Last year Cameron commissioned Australian designers to design a sub which can plumb the depths of the Marianas Trench....or at least about 36,000 feet of it.  I hear he intends to be an occupant. 

One has to suppose that only human technology would put something at that depth in a Pandoran ocean, but it doesn't have to be RDA related.  It could be human environmentalists with a rogue element. Or who knows what?  But I think humans will figure into it.  I don't know where he'll insert the love story connection he had in Titanic or Avatar I...it might be Jake's and Neytiri's daughter this time.  Maybe a little social commentary on hybrids finding their niche? Or maybe some other alien element.  I wonder how he'll blend in the Eywa connection with sub-marine life.  Will the whales have antennae? ;D

archaic

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 16, 2011, 09:53:51 AM

RDA somehow gets praised for their actions, the humans come back, and AVTR basically repeats itself.

which would both suck.

:'(

Sezetirea216

The only thing, and i mean ONLY thing that would put me off avatar 2 would be if james cameron disrespects neytiri's baby or if neytiri gets a new ikran who mates with jakes cause that would be way to predictable
Oe mäkxu ma nikre ne'ìm ulte kulat