An Ikran plane!

Started by Tìtstewan, February 24, 2013, 05:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

Wow, the pilot/owner even named the plane "Tsamsiyu"! This is amazing, I love the paint job and the plane. So jealous...

Also, at least one person tried sending them a message in Na'vi and they apparently use whatever Na'vi translators are still running around these days. Also, I guess they tried to link to LN.org but that was during our server problems. Shame, we might have got a few members out of it.

Anyway, I'm going to post on their forum about this when I get a minute. I'd love to take that plane for a spin. Thanks for posting this!

Tìtstewan

Hell yeah! Frommer's Blog tell about this plane.
hrh :D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 02, 2013, 06:39:26 PM
Hell yeah! Frommer's Blog tell about this plane.
hrh :D

:) I mentioned it to him and he really liked it and thought it would be worth posting.

Tìtstewan

:o Irayo si ngaru nìtxan!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tìtstewan on March 02, 2013, 11:44:10 PM
:o Irayo si ngaru nìtxan!

No problem. I also posted on the aircraft forum.

Tìtstewan

Well, I just read that! :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Ftiafpi, I did not know you were a pilot. That's something I always wanted to be, but could never pass medical for (or afford!). At least where I live now, I literally have the Reno Air Races in my back yard! Air race week is one of my favorite weeks of the year, and if I can find the time to do so, I hope to start volunteering to work them.

The last few years, former astronaut Hoot Gibson has brought an L39 jet painted up in toruk colors. No visible trace of a toruk in the design, but it sure looks like one (I'll find one of the many pictures I have taken of it). The Czech-made L39 is an eastern block advanced jet trainer, and is very popular with jet-class air racers, and air show teams.

Of the ikran airplane: I want one, too (if I could fly). For now, I'll have to be content with the plush ikran I carry on my shoulder during AvatarMeet events.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tìtstewan

Ftiafpi

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 03, 2013, 01:17:37 AM
Ma Ftiafpi, I did not know you were a pilot. That's something I always wanted to be, but could never pass medical for (or afford!). At least where I live now, I literally have the Reno Air Races in my back yard! Air race week is one of my favorite weeks of the year, and if I can find the time to do so, I hope to start volunteering to work them.

The last few years, former astronaut Hoot Gibson has brought an L39 jet painted up in toruk colors. No visible trace of a toruk in the design, but it sure looks like one (I'll find one of the many pictures I have taken of it). The Czech-made L39 is an eastern block advanced jet trainer, and is very popular with jet-class air racers, and air show teams.

Of the ikran airplane: I want one, too (if I could fly). For now, I'll have to be content with the plush ikran I carry on my shoulder during AvatarMeet events.

Srane, oe tsun tswayon. :) I've been a pilot since 2005 (I was 19!) and love every time I can get up in the air. I had a lot of help through the Civil Air Patrol and from my father to help get my license. Still, it's extremely expensive and I can only afford to go by careful budgeting and having a fairly nice job. I hope to one day own an aircraft but, for now, I just rent planes from the local airport.

As for yourself, you should look into what's called a "light sport" pilots license. It may help you get into flying without needing to pass the stringent medical requirements. As for affording, see if you can afford to take a few lessons. Perhaps make some friends at the local airport and hopefully you can get up a few times with them if they can take you along. You might not be able to get your license very quickly but it can be done over time. It definitely a rewarding experience.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

No, that's not the paint job I am thinking of. I'll have to dig through my photo archives and find a picture of that aircraft. Nevertheless, that is also an attractive paint job for an L39.

Ma ftiafpi, I almost have done what you suggested on a number of occasions. I have at least one person who has a standing promise to me to take me flying, but we can never seem to connect. Another friend of mine (whose dad is also a pilot) promised, but then he hit hard times, and had to severely curtail flying himself. He eventually moved to Oregon to live near his parents. Hopefully, more opportunity will come if and when I can get involved with the air races. Our maintenance tech (and good friend) at the TV station, Charlie Anderson, was a very active pilot until he got too old. One of his hobbies was studying plane crashes to see what went wrong. He had some very interesting stories. He had a good friend, named Charlie Coleman, who was also a active pilot, who even built his own airstrip. (Charlie Anderson was also famous for being a member of the six man team that built the first practical videotape machine in 1956. Charlie died last summer at the age of 86.)

I was also an EAA member for many years, and have lost count of how many times I have been to Oshkosh (living within easy driving distance helps, too!). But I let that lapse when I moved out to Reno. Not too much EAA activity here.

Just before AvatarMeet 2011, I went to the Boeing museum in Seattle, and got to sit in the cockpit of a SR-71, my very favorite aircraft!

A very odd thing: When I lived in Rochester, NY, it seemed every other friend or acquaintance was a drummer. Out here, every other acquaintance is a pilot!

Yawey ngahu!

Tìtstewan

Well, the constructor of Tsamsiyu has posted in Na'viteri:
:)

Quote:

Paul says:   
March 3, 2013 at 8:14 pm   

Greetings,

My wife and I built the RV-3 that we know (and you have seen) as Tsamsiyu, and it
truly is the most delightful aircraft that I have ever flown – and I have been flying
and testing aircraft for forty years. The choice of paint and name was clearly
inspired by the Ikrans of the film, and it is so sensitive that one barely moves the
controls through an entire aerobatic routine – it the closest we can come to flying
by thought. It has received a warm welcome in the experimental aircraft
community, and we are pleased that it has been welcomed here as well.

• Pawl says:   
    March 4, 2013 at 9:20 am   

From one Paul to another: Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte'! Hello and welcome!
    Thanks for dropping by and sharing more about the evolution of your
    beautiful creation. It sounds as if your experience flying Tsamsiyu
    approaches what the Na'vi feel when they're bonded to their ikrans via the
    neural interface called tsaheylu: an effortless connection that as you say is
    like flying by thought.

Are there any videos of Tsamsiyu in action that you could share with us?
    That would be wonderful to see!

Thanks again, Paul, and if you ever need any more Na'vi for your projects,
    don't hesitate to ask.

Tìtstewan

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Maybe he'll fly aerobatics at the Reno Air Races. A good reason to 'go blue' there if he does!

Edited by Fifi, I assumed autocorrect or something conspired against you.

Yawey ngahu!

Niri Te

You mean DOES, and NOT "dies", correct??
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ftiafpi

:o I fixed it...autocorrect strikes again?

Tìtstewan

Look at the keyboard i and o are neighbors. ;)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

:-[ Yeah, that was an embarrassing typo. I mistype a lot of things, but usually catch them. Thanks for catching that!

Yawey ngahu!

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tsmuktengan

This looks amazing. I never got to fly small aircrafts like this, and I don't really see how it could really be closer to be flown by thought (being dumb in aerodynamics and aircraft mechanisms), but it looks absolutely great!