About that real life tribe thing

Started by Aka`ula, February 19, 2017, 08:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka`ula

I just started exploring that Tribe board and it is interesting. :)

One thing that I was wondering about this page, https://forum.learnnavi.org/tribe-ideas/i-dont-think-the-for-life-bit-will-work-guys/

If people continually came, like as they say, for summers, would they not build up enough experience to do it more and more long term? And as some wanted to, eventually permanent?

What did you think of the Tribe thing originally, and then later on? :-\

Vawmataw

I've read a lot of posts from the tribe boards last year and I can say that this is not an easy thing to do. Really not.
I'm glad I can express my opinion somewhere since the section has been closed.

The dream would have had a better chance of coming true if it had been a summer camp or an ecovillage. They didn't want that and so the project vanished. In the former option, they'd even have more available land to practice the tribal life, even if this is just for the summer. There are also many extra advantages (money to sustain the project, public education [good for being the public opinion], not being separated from the family, etc.). In the latter, if they had a solid and realisable plan, they would receive more positive critics.
Unfortunately, the permanent tribe seems to be out of reach, because it works counter to the system. Yes, there are still tribes that resist to our civilisation, but they already lived that way, they didn't have to become a tribal society. Maybe if the commited members had provided the time and the energy to recruit, to search and to solve every detail, the project would have gone farther and they would have taken a better or the right direction.

The hard conditions are a factor. Building a society almost from scratch is another one.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Aka`ula

Quote from: Vawmataw on February 19, 2017, 08:51:51 PM
I've read a lot of posts from the tribe boards last year and I can say that this is not an easy thing to do. Really not.

Since you have been a member since 2012, when was it that the inactivity really started becoming noticable in this forum? I think my hyper-interest right now is still because I just saw the cinematic recently, but do you think this forum will revitalize when the new movies come, and would you like it to. Would you be any more active than currently are? Thanks

Eana Unil

Quote from: Aka`ula on February 19, 2017, 09:19:51 PM
Quote from: Vawmataw on February 19, 2017, 08:51:51 PM

Since you have been a member since 2012, when was it that the inactivity really started becoming noticable in this forum? I think my hyper-interest right now is still because I just saw the cinematic recently, but do you think this forum will revitalize when the new movies come, and would you like it to. Would you be any more active than currently are? Thanks
I know you've maybe only asked Vawmataw in particular here, but I'll just feel free to drop my 2 cents, nìfrakrr... ^^
IMO activity was at its peak from 2010 until 2012 or 2013, IIRC. It's a good thing, though, that recently some new members showed up here, including you. That fresh enthusiasm and excitement about the newly discovered fandom is always a great thing to witness and remember :)
So, to answer the last three questions; yep, yep and yep. Or at least I hope so. That things will get more active again around here as soon as the sequel(s) hit the theaters. And maybe at that time people will start to dream about real life Na'vi tribes again, too..

Aka`ula

Quote from: Eana Unil on February 19, 2017, 09:27:16 PM
I know you've maybe only asked Vawmataw in particular here, but I'll just feel free to drop my 2 cents, nìfrakrr... ^^

Of coarse! I would love to hear you too! Sorry for making my question sound too inclusive!

Quote from: Eana Unil on February 19, 2017, 09:27:16 PM
IMO activity was at its peak from 2010 until 2012 or 2013, IIRC. It's a good thing, though, that recently some new members showed up here, including you. That fresh enthusiasm and excitement about the newly discovered fandom is always a great thing to witness and remember :)
So, to answer the last three questions; yep, yep and yep. Or at least I hope so. That things will get more active again around here as soon as the sequel(s) hit the theaters. And maybe at that time people will start to dream about real life Na'vi tribes again, too..

I am glad  :). I think it would be nice to revitalize a board like this, but the biggest way possible would probably be something such as the next movie release.

Also, I am looking at this right now, a list of trivia on IMDB about the sequal. Some interesting things like Cameron planning to film 7 miles underwater! All stops are pulled out for quality  ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Tìtstewan

The peak of activity was in 2010 and 2011. In 2012 the activity started to drop till early 2014, where the whole tribe section got locked for posting...
https://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/pull-the-plug/

First Mark then I've set up the whole tribe section to read only. Ihmo, I would remove the read-only mode only if someone can provide a realistic concept to make the tribe real.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

QuoteIhmo, I would remove the read-only mode only if someone can provide a realistic concept to make the tribe real.
I totally agree with you.

The intentions of the people behind the project were good. I don't think it was a teenage crisis, because there was thought. Well, people considered a lot of things, but I believe the search was not real. Not any detail was 90-100% set in stone.

The only problem is that it was a little naive. They were too focused on the perfect conditions: hot weather all-year, lots of food, etc. Acquring the perfect land is very hard, if not impossible. I believe the realtor(s) they've contacted have not answered because of their situation. Well, they didn't necessarily have to buy land, but there's also the law to consider.
The kids... The human pulsions will not vanish because you're in the wild. Sorry.
I've also imagined a scenario where they'd arrive at the airport. What could they say to the custom officers?
The future is to be considered, too. What if the members and/or their kids have to come back to the civilisation?

I think there's long to say. However, I think it's not that they didn't consider the issues (unlike Join the Na'vi), but they didn't have the resources of time, energy and people to solve them.
That was 5 to 7 years ago, so I believe that if the people came back to revive the project, they would have more experience and maturity.

Quote from: Aka`ula on February 19, 2017, 09:19:51 PM
Since you have been a member since 2012, when was it that the inactivity really started becoming noticable in this forum?
As the other people said, the peak was around 2010 and 2011. In 2012, the activity was probably still there, but even when I used the forum I was not aware of that project, plus I was rather focusing on the Na'vi language.

QuoteIf people continually came, like as they say, for summers, would they not build up enough experience to do it more and more long term? And as some wanted to, eventually permanent?
I always use the 'permanent tribe' term for living in the wood without almost any technology. However, they could start with acquiring more experience that will eventually lead the the building of a bigger ''tribal'' project that may become permanent.
I just think they couldn't just go live in the middle of nowhere in another country's wild as they want.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

I would find it really interesting and cool to try to live without any technology and live only with things the nature provides for one or two months. But even such a trip will require a lot of preparation and learning about various things like how to make fire, what one can eat etc. otherwise one will not survive a week.

QuoteThe dream would have had a better chance of coming true if it had been a summer camp or an ecovillage
Yeah, they did talk about an eco-village (there was even an own board for it), but not sure why they gave it up.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Emtokay

I'm waiting for the return of activity to this board so the RP section can get a kickstart again
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing