General Discussion > General Discussion

Artificial, Vat-Grown Meat: Yum or Dumb?

(1/5) > >>

Coyote:
The notion of artificial, vat-grown meat is discussed here at MSNBC news website. The Dutch are the current leaders in this technology, but others are also very close to producing meat in vats that requires no animals to actually be raised and slaughtered.

The environmental implications for this are enormous:

--- Quote ---Hanna Tuomisto, who studies the environmental impact of food production at Oxford University said that switching to lab-produced meat could theoretically lower greenhouse gas emissions by up to 95 percent. Both land and water use would also drop by about 95 percent, she said.

"In theory, if all the meat was replaced by cultured meat, it would be huge for the environment," she said. "One animal could produce many thousands of kilograms of meat." In addition, lab meat can be nurtured with relatively few nutrients like amino acids, fats and natural sugars, whereas livestock must be fed huge amounts of traditional crops.
--- End quote ---

Assuming the taste and texture was perfected, and let's say you couldn't tell the difference, or the differences were very slight, would you be willing to eat synthi-chow? I think that taste & texture are important, but if they could perfect this I'd be all over it like Genghis Khan on a Norweigan princess.

Txur’Itan:
I would feed it to my pet.

But I would consider hunting for my food if this became the norm.

Coyote:

--- Quote from: Txur’Itan on January 15, 2010, 02:20:19 pm ---But I would consider hunting for my food if this became the norm.
--- End quote ---

Actually, if vat-grown meat becomes the norm, and thousands of miles of land currently needed for farming and ranching were abandoned, then as wild land re-encroached there would be a lot more animals living free, and hunting could, in fact, increase.

Hmmmm.... 

Toruk Makto:

--- Quote from: Txur’Itan on January 15, 2010, 02:20:19 pm ---I would feed it to my pet.

But I would consider hunting for my food if this became the norm.

--- End quote ---

I have to second that. I hate to say it, but anything that makes it easier to feed the bloated numbers of humanity on this planet is going to just make the problem worse. People will breed until the resources are consumed, no matter how much there is.

Coyote:

--- Quote from: Txepäsiyu on January 15, 2010, 02:29:28 pm --- I have to second that. I hate to say it, but anything that makes it easier to feed the bloated numbers of humanity on this planet is going to just make the problem worse. People will breed until the resources are consumed, no matter how much there is.
--- End quote ---

But do they? Look at population trends worldwide; in places where there is plenty to eat (the "First World") the birthrate goes down as parents concentrate resources on raising one or two healthy kids. As it is, with food scarce, they breed like rabbits because they expect a high attrition rate. It's counter-intuitive, but there it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version