Started by Rallion, January 19, 2010, 05:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rallion

On the news page on Yahoo I read this terrible topic. China is planning to prohibit the normal version of the movie this Weekend. From Saturday only the 3D version is allowed. I think this ban would exclude the majority of the Chinese from this movie because the technology of 3D is very expensive and maybe only available in few cinemas in Beijing and Shanghai. The public authorities of probaganda see the problem that many Chinese people identify themself with the Na'vi of the movie. However they are many similarities between the Chinese government and the RDA, both accept forced displacement of people without any compansation. They are many examples like Tibet or the big Yanghse River Dam. The government fears the massage of the film thus they prohibit it. 

Étienne

Atoki Atanyä

I can see the Tibet thing pretty easily.
Atoki's Guide to Learning Na'vi: Part One is Here!

Lurk

Won't happen in Hong Kong - Atoki.
Munge futa nga tsun, Tìng ke'uti ne'ìm.
Software Dev - x86 Assembly / native C - 10 years.
Efficiency is everything to do with Performance~

Nawma 'eveng

Really? Since when? Thank god Hong Kong is "separate" from China, right Atoki?  :)

No censorship for us...for now.

Ateyo te Kellett

I wonder how the jackasses in chinas government thinks. this'll be a good discussion in the social studies class

Étienne

Quote from: Ngay'taronyu on January 19, 2010, 06:25:22 AM
I wonder how the jackasses in chinas government thinks. this'll be a good discussion in the social studies class

That's communism for you.

wm.annis

Is this really a worry about the contents of the film, or simple economic protectionism?

Atoki Atanyä

Quote from: wm.annis on January 19, 2010, 07:45:51 AM
Is this really a worry about the contents of the film, or simple economic protectionism?

I highly doubt it is economic protectionism. In the bigger cities in China, business thrives, and society is pretty affluent. I have a feeling this is more to do with the acts of rebellion against the militaristic state and the representation of the single leader militaristic state, alongside the repression of scientific endeavours.

It's China in a nutshell, to be perfectly honest. Although, it may also be a retaliation against the US's criticism of the attack on Google. In some highly confusing way.
Atoki's Guide to Learning Na'vi: Part One is Here!

Swok Txon

Jesus man China is veeeeeerrryyyy careful with what they bring out

i use to live there and man the news over there when i moved back to Australia

completely different worlds

what they are doing is stupid and selfish BUT it is incredibly smart from a political standpoint, its one of the sol reasons why they are soon to become the worlds greatest economic power

they just don't take chances

DAM THEM!!!!

wm.annis

Quote from: Atoki Atanyä on January 19, 2010, 07:57:34 AM
Quote from: wm.annis on January 19, 2010, 07:45:51 AM

I highly doubt it is economic protectionism. In the bigger cities in China, business thrives, and society is pretty affluent.

Thriving business and affluence is not incompatible with some judicious trade-protectionism, so long as you manage to avoid tariff wars.

Zalorticus

It makes sense why they do it, but from our standpoint of being able to choose for ourselves, it seems bad.
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Toruk Makto

1002 reasons why it sucks to live in China.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Swok Txon

LOL!!!!!

Jesus is there like an official list for that? LOL

Zalorticus

I don't think there is an official list, but many think there should be apparently :).
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Swok Txon

I should get started on it!

*opens notepad*
1 - Pollution
2 - Extreme Censorship
3 - One Child Policy
4 - Vast Poverty
5 -....

etc. etc.

Wait, no, i lived in china so I'm insulting myself :-(

but this was inevitable, i could feel it in my bones!

Nawma 'eveng

@Swok Txon

Yeah, so many touchy issues here and there in China...I just hope Hong Kong will not be the same after 2047 :-X

Ptxèrra

yep then the free treatment might be over.

but i don't think it will happen since the whole world will protest at it.

also it gives a bad message from china to the world, like we act if we like freedom but we hate it.
they want to show the world they are pro freedom.
Oel ayngati kameie i was there

remember power corrups, absolute power..... is a whole lot of fun.
Sheepies: They just eat grass until something kills them,  it might as well be you!!

Swok Txon

No i have to say

As everybody here is picking on china i can see ALOT of hypocritical statements but I'm not going to point them out because it would start a massive flame war.

At least everybody is making some good points

mO_Tan

If china is really scared of the message that the movie will bring accross, why would they still show Avatar in IMAX and not just stop showing it all together? Is it because its so expensive and not alot of people will watch it... but they would still make money off of the film, but just not as much?
"Guys, come on. Whats wrong with this picture? Wheres my cigerette?"