Barefooting

Started by Human No More, June 07, 2011, 12:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ertew

I'm so stupid, and get first serious blisters in this year. But start from beginning.

Because weather was so hot during day, evening was worse because air temperature decreasing while ground and building still emit cumulated heat, i chose sunrise moment to start walk.
Sunday night, leaved home at 4:00 (ofc barefoot) and walk good illuminated streets (to avoiding glass), enjoying cool temperatures of air and ground. After sunrise (meteo says 5:00, but because clouds and terrain shape, i seen sun about 5:30) i turn my way from city to forest. About 8:15 when temperature rising above comfortable zone, leaved forest and take direction to home.
At first found seat/bench check soles condition, GPS distance and optimal trace to home. Feet works great, 15km behind me and about 5km to do. To good and too boring, so i decide to route my trace at good (flat and clean) surfaces and try to running barefoot. And probably that decision was biggest mistake i made in that month. I make mix or walking (ca 2km) and running (ca 3km) to home.
In home i realized what i make wrong. Because high stress, my feets form few blisters on toes (still not cracked) and biggest one at heel (cracked at saturday). Including photos with the biggest blister (ca 30x10mm) taken about hour ago.
Fortunately no corns, sores, glass and other bad things, only blisters and dirt at this time

2 days after that i can stand on toes and limping while walking, 4 days (today) i can stand on heel and normal walking. Perhaps at friday i can normally running and will try more barefooting at saturday.

Lesson learned: try walking friday/saturday, that make sunday time to partially heal feet, walk/run more (every blister makes skin stronger), and ... bring mosquitoes repeller (that allows go deeper inside forest).
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Rotobull cz

Honestly, I don't run very often. I have shortened muscles in the ankle (because of wearing shoes for long time), so I don't run shoeless, if I don't have to. And I don't run at all, if I don't have to. ;D My breath is ...irregular

This is strong "beginning" (I know, you're not total beginner anymore), Errtew. But it will be better and better. Just walk so long, as you feel, it's safe and pleasant.
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Ertew

[smg id=5891 type=preview width=300] [smg id=5890 type=preview width=300] [smg id=5889 type=preview width=300] [smg id=5888 type=preview width=300]

Pictures from past holidays.

I made few bf walks, every about 8 to 15km (5 to 10mi) + some part in shoes. Got few blisters and one small sore, but nothing worse than previous accident.
Also discovered double blister - when time to remove old blister (week after it's build) has come, I break blister and found two smaller blisters under it. Strange thing.

Each day was better and less painful than previous, as long as I wearing nothing/sandals/flipflops. But every idyll must end someday, mostly in painful way.
These time the worst pain was psychical not physical. It comes at monday when I come back to work and need to wear classic closed shoes.
Probably that is the moment to make chose between barefoot or shoes. I know there's no return, but choice was simple.

Emtokay

Here's some interesting reading about being barefoot compared to wearing shoes (even though they're talking about cricket spikes)
http://www.pitchvision.com/cricket-boots
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Ertew

It's time to say, no more barefoot walking...

I found nice path, about 7km via sidewalks and walking-cycling roads, exact hour of walking. In last season I went through it dozens of times.
But walking same path was boring, while running was quite funny and slowly improving my condition. Actually I can mix walking and running in about 50/50% on that distance. Many km and many blisters behind me, but every time it gets better. This season results only little and harmless blisters.

In next season I want to increase running distance and try barefooting below zero :)

So, it's time to say, no more barefoot walking. Barefoot running was better.

Rotobull cz

Ok. :)

I'll keep walking barefoot 'cause it's the future. ;D :D And because I don't like running much...
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Toliman

Ertew

I don't like to running with shoes too, but i do that sometimes, mostly for not miss morning bus. Barefoot running wasn't planned, it comes to me naturally from barefoot walking.

If You can walk barefoot, You can run barefoot. Only things against was Your condition (ie. heart problems). So I dared You to run barefoot, just 50m.

EDIT:
If They can barefooting, I can do it too. Actual problem are, how to tell that to my parents.
Maybe best option is just wait until they saw me outside without shoes.

Ertew

On this season I found nice route. About 6km via bike roads - asphalt and concentrate. I walked this route few times, but walking is boring. So I slowly switching from walking to running, barefoot running  :P
In total I passed this route about 40 times in past 70 days - once every two days.
My actual form allow me to do 1km run, then several times 500m walk + 500m run. My record is the average speed of 8km/h on that route. Goal for next year: pass ParkRun (5km with 30min time limit).

moonbeam

I haven't gone barefooting in a while, but not that it's colder now, I won't do it now, because I do't want my feet to freeze off. Maybe when the summer comes.  ;D

Click the dragons to give them love!

Rotobull cz

Quote from: moonbeam on November 01, 2016, 10:14:21 PM
I haven't gone barefooting in a while, but not that it's colder now, I won't do it now, because I do't want my feet to freeze off. Maybe when the summer comes.  ;D

My record was -7°C. 8)

Toliman

Quote from: Rotobull cz on November 05, 2016, 04:22:12 PM
My record was -7°C. 8)
OMG  ;D  for me unimaginable

Ertew

Today Eywa send me pretty good weather. Air temperature +12*C, full sun, no rain and almost no wind. Great reason for first* barefoot walk this year.
The asphalt roads are nicely warm. Sadly there are a lot sand and small sones over thus I'm not able to run.

*excluding a lot of 30s short walks over my balcony, including few below zero.

I found very nice tutorial. Almost useless for me but should be useful for newbies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsV6cW6nQGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsV6cW6nQGE?a&b

Aka`ula

Quote from: Ertew on March 04, 2017, 02:21:40 PM
Today Eywa send me pretty good weather. Air temperature +12*C, full sun, no rain and almost no wind. Great reason for first* barefoot walk this year.
The asphalt roads are nicely warm. Sadly there are a lot sand and small sones over thus I'm not able to run.

I remember when I use to watch survival shows, there was one guy of a pair that only walks barefoot, all day every day, and not just on the show. He lives in a desert iirc too.

Ertew

Deep sand that include sharp objects (stones, glass, etc) are way different from sharp objects laying on hard surface. IMO stones on concentrate/asphalt are one of the worst surfaces for BF walking. Even small round stones over asphalt are worser than sharp stones over soil.

Aka`ula

O yea, when he is in the jungle and stuff, even there he gets foot cuts and stuff regularly, has to walk softly.

Eana Unil

I just decided I wanna walk barefooted again this summer... last time I did was at the beach in 2015. Everyone should do this more often imo.

BlueHusky2154

I enjoy walking barefoot outside...even on the tough gravel in my driveway...
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Ertew

Actually I wear shoes at work, on the way to/from work (including shopping), on bike (I fell more safety with) and when my foot gets tired (i.e. after 10km over hot asphalt). Family wasn't happy with that (call me idiot each time) but I don't care.
The best thing I do this season was trying nordic walking, ofc barefoot. Now I need to purchase proper poles an do it regular.

Ertew

Photos from this and last week.

I like to leave footprints after rain. Maybe other peoples saw this and think about it.
Also I hope that someday found fresh white paint on asphalt road. This marks will persist much longer   :toruk: