Barefooting

Started by Human No More, June 07, 2011, 12:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ertew

Just a quick test today. I go outside right after it stops raining, then walk about 3km to near shops. Sky was cloudy, pavement wet and temperature about 15*C (59*F).
It was good test of my blood circulation and also wonderful feeling. My feet fell so fresh during walk and stay warm whole time.
Only downside: skin gets soft when wet. I can feel every small stone under my feet. That fells feel like few years ago when I started barefooting and have soft soles.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Ertew

Friend of me found this while cleaning phone memory.

Toliman

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toliman

And the best is that you don't able to believe that something similar is possible until it will not happen you ;D

Ertew

A barefoot girlfriend generates lots of questions on Flickr.  Things like: "Does she ever hurt her feet going barefoot all the time?"  The answer: She's been going barefoot for years now, and not yet.  But she does sometimes... by colorblindPICASO, on Flickr

Wish to find girlfriend that hate shoes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/colorblindpicaso/sets/72157605183250693/page1

Ertew

New Year resolution: more barefooting!

Today's night have pretty nice weather: +8*C, minimal wind and stops raining few hours ago. That's definitely not a winter weather.
I went for a walk to celebrate that weather and look at new year's fireworks from outside. 4km walk that results 2km barefoot :)
I need to learn more about my limits.

EDIT:
And a nice audio show & transcript about shoes, barefooting, etc. that I found today. Enjoy.
http://freakonomics.com/podcast/shoes/

Toliman

Interesting article and New Year resolution!

However I am personally still afraid about barefooting outside :-\
(did you already any injury due to this?)

BlueHusky2154

I wish I could do this over the winter like you. We always have cold snaps and lots of snow that sticks around until March.
Sometimes over the summer I will walk around barefoot in my yard.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Ertew

Yep, a lot of injuries.

• I don't have any problems with my muscles, joints, etc. My condition limiting me so transition wasn't a problem.
  • Skin on my sole was another story. Many blisters in first 3 years, but I realized that blister gives me better gain than any training designed to bring slow progress. After my soles becomes thicker I have almost zero problems with that. Actually I have only 4 normal blisters* in past 2 years, all caused by walking over hot asphalt sidewalk. Need to bring IR thermometer next time.
  • Last type of injuries are probably the one You're afraid the most: glass and other sharp objects that can penetrate skin. I have one injury each year or two, not that bad as I think when I started. Most problems are caused by very thin glass which I guess comes from light bulbs, especially bike ones. Most cases I step on them while running and stop right after I feel it. Results was few drops blood each time but don't have single infection or any serious problems so far.

* My feet can generate blisters that are hidden between inner skin and skin callus. I can feel them but no pain and weird feeling disappear next day. Week later blister comes to surface, completely dry and without any pain. I'm not sure what happening here but really doesn't care about that and never tried to count that type of blisters.

Toliman

O.o ... looks that you have really big experiences with it!

Quote from: Ertew on December 31, 2017, 08:57:02 PM
Last type of injuries are probably the one You're afraid the most: glass and other sharp objects that can penetrate skin. I have one injury each year or two, not that bad as I think when I started. Most problems are caused by very thin glass which I guess comes from light bulbs, especially bike ones. Most cases I step on them while running and stop right after I feel it. Results was few drops blood each time but don't have single infection or any serious problems so far.
Yeah, exactly. I am afraid to give these injuries.

Ertew

Because of that risk I chose to wear shoes (or at least walk in safety places instead of running barefoot) for few days to week before anything that may be important for me, like exams. In fact I prefer to stay home and learn instead of walking but that's different story.
Forrest is one of the best places to walk, as long as You are immune to ants an mosquitoes.

EDIT:
Quote from: Toliman on December 31, 2017, 09:23:54 PM
O.o ... looks that you have really big experiences with it!
As log says, I started in 2013. 5 years of experience. Not that much.

Toliman

Quote from: Ertew on January 01, 2018, 05:38:48 PM
As log says, I started in 2013. 5 years of experience. Not that much.
O.o ... and what is big experiences for you?

Ertew

5 years sounds good but I need to wear shoes at work and chose to wear them on my way to/from work. Next, I need at least 15*C to have regular walk without shoes. That limits me to only a few months per year. And I cannot even utilize each day from that. Half days at best and about 8km each.
Yes I walk barefoot at colder environment but all walks around 10*C are just short tests, how much my feet can withstand before go numb or starts hurt. I cannot withstand more than 1 minute below zero, with or without snow.

That level of experience can be named big but not great. I'll note success when I can walk on snow :P or at least take of shoes at work and walk home keeping them at my backpack.

Atkxìn

I spent about a year and a half going almost entirely barefoot back in 2012 and 2013. At first my feet felt so sensitive (i.e. pain) to everything but I was surprised at how quickly they toughened up. I even ran barefoot on gravel. I continued to run barefoot in the winter, but I could only stand to go for about 10 minutes or so before I'd have to duck inside a building and let my feet warm up and then continue on. I couldn't figure out how to deal with the cold to just walk to and from places, so in the winter I wore shoes except when I ran, haha.  ;D  The winter of 2013 eventually ended my barefoot streak. Since then, the main thing that has stopped me from going almost entirely barefoot again is knowing that as soon as I start barefooting again, winter will come and I'll have to stop. :( Anyone have any tips or tricks for barefooting in winter? :-\

Edit: grammar 

Toliman

Quote from: Ertew on January 02, 2018, 04:29:48 PM
5 years sounds good but I need to wear shoes at work and chose to wear them on my way to/from work. Next, I need at least 15*C to have regular walk without shoes. That limits me to only a few months per year. And I cannot even utilize each day from that. Half days at best and about 8km each.
Yeah, 5 years sounds good for me too but you are right.

Quote from: Atxkìn on January 02, 2018, 11:35:13 PM
I spent about a year and a half going almost entirely barefoot back in 2012 and 2013. At first my feet felt so sensitive (i.e. pain) to everything but I was surprised at how quickly they toughened up. I even ran barefoot on gravel.
Yeah, periodically subjected skin is tougher by time, but despite this, barefoot on gravel must be very uncomfortable...

archaic

Quote from: Ertew on December 31, 2017, 08:57:02 PM
Yep, a lot of injuries.

• I don't have any problems with my muscles, joints, etc. My condition limiting me so transition wasn't a problem.
  • Skin on my sole was another story. Many blisters in first 3 years, but I realized that blister gives me better gain than any training designed to bring slow progress. After my soles becomes thicker I have almost zero problems with that. Actually I have only 4 normal blisters* in past 2 years, all caused by walking over hot asphalt sidewalk. Need to bring IR thermometer next time.
  • Last type of injuries are probably the one You're afraid the most: glass and other sharp objects that can penetrate skin. I have one injury each year or two, not that bad as I think when I started. Most problems are caused by very thin glass which I guess comes from light bulbs, especially bike ones. Most cases I step on them while running and stop right after I feel it. Results was few drops blood each time but don't have single infection or any serious problems so far.

* My feet can generate blisters that are hidden between inner skin and skin callus. I can feel them but no pain and weird feeling disappear next day. Week later blister comes to surface, completely dry and without any pain. I'm not sure what happening here but really doesn't care about that and never tried to count that type of blisters.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=laser+thermometer&_sop=15
I do not recommend an IR Laser Thermometer, you can't see where the spot is. A regular red dot one is infinitely preferable in the real world, IMHO.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ertew

Atxkìn, nice to found another barefooter around forum.
Did You stop it all after winter or continue each summer? And what about Your school/work? I'm just curios how You deal with things that are problems for me.

For winter barefooting, You may look at mirror topic at ToS forum, especially posts of txim_asawl. Here two examples: 1 and 2.
I remember one lady that live on farm in Canada. After many years of acclimatization She can walk barefoot over snow down to 0*F / -20*C without problems and lower for short period of time. Cannot found info about her anymore :(

archaic, what are You mean by linking that product? Something wrong if I use it to measure road temperature?

Atkxìn

@Ertew In the past few years I've mostly stopped barefooting, although I will have sporadic periods of barefoot zealousness ;D, and I will try to be barefoot at home, go on walks barefoot, go running regularly barefoot, wear only socks while I'm at school, etc. It's not that I haven't kept doing things barefoot, it's just that it's so inconsistent that my feet are never in good enough condition to go for a long run or spend most of a day out barefoot. When I first started I had to ease into it but still be consistent about getting out and walking and running barefoot on all kinds of surfaces, and then I would build up foot toughness (not necessarily more calluses--it's almost like the fat pad on the bottom of my feet got thicker, not so much the skin). I guess I just need to do that again--but it's hard to restart that process each spring because winter keeps me inside. I don't really do any barefooting in winter. I will read your links about barefooting in winter on ToS. Thanks!

As far as work and school, I work at UPS currently while I'm going to school, where I move around heavy packages. That's not an environment where I want to be barefoot ;), so I got boots that have lots of toe room, and I just wear those to work and back.

For winter, I want to get a pair of huaraches, which would give my feet lots of freedom of movement but still protect me a bit from the cold.

Do you use huaraches (running sandals) or toe socks at all? Ideally I would like to be totally barefoot year round, but since I haven't managed that yet, something that still allows my feet to move without confinement but gives me a little protection from the cold would be nice, so I was thinking of a huarache with toe socks.

Edit: Clarity

Toliman

Quote from: Atxkìn on January 06, 2018, 10:47:33 AM
In the past few years I've mostly stopped barefooting, although I will have sporadic periods of barefoot zealousness ;D, and I will try to be barefoot at home, go on walks barefoot, go running regularly barefoot, wear only socks while I'm at school, etc. It's not that I haven't kept doing things barefoot, it's just that it's so inconsistent that my feet are never in good enough condition to go for a long run or spend most of a day out barefoot. When I first started I had to ease into it but still be consistent about getting out and walking and running barefoot on all kinds of surfaces, and then I would build up foot toughness (not necessarily more calluses--it's almost like the fat pad on the bottom of my feet got thicker, not so much the skin). I guess I just need to do that again--but it's hard to restart that process each spring because winter keeps me inside. I don't really do any barefooting in winter. I will read your links about barefooting in winter on ToS. Thanks!

And do your skin become less tough again when you don't barefooting longer time?