Barefooting

Started by Human No More, June 07, 2011, 12:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

Quote from: Ertew on January 03, 2018, 07:19:18 PM
archaic, what are You mean by linking that product? Something wrong if I use it to measure road temperature?
I assumed you mean that you would use an IR laser thermometer to measure road temperature, that's fine, it works. However, in my honest opinion not being able to see exactly where the laser taking the measurement is less useful than being able to see it. Especially on a relatively ruff surface like asphalt, where you might end up measuring the temperature of a small patch of partial shadow, or a small metallic inclusion that. Either might have a different temperature to the surrounding surface.

Bottom line, having used a few laser thermometers, it is my honest opinion that the visible wavelength laser thermometer is the one I would recommend. Without any hesitation, and without any shadow of doubt.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ertew

Quote from: Ertew on December 31, 2017, 06:07:09 PM
Today's night have pretty nice weather: +8*C, minimal wind and stops raining few hours ago. That's definitely not a winter weather.
I went for a walk to celebrate that weather and look at new year's fireworks from outside. 4km walk that results 2km barefoot :)

Yesterday the weather was even better. 10*C, a little windy but full sun for about 2 hours from midday. That conditions dared me to take my regular loop (6km) barefoot. And success!  ;D
My toes gets numb after 2 minutes outside but 10 minutes later blood circulation increases and bring them to live. Pavement and wind are cold but withstandable whole journey.
This time results 3 noticeable cuts at forefoot area but my calluses are too thick to penetrate them. I very like that extra layer of protection. In many cases I can say that my soles are my shoes. I also found one small blister but that must be made day earlier when I walk with shoes. Location near ankle really doesn't match barefooting.
And single photo: ground temperature are so low that moisture from my feet condense on it. That creates nice negative footprints.

Atxkìn, at home I'm barefoot 99% of the time. Sadly I never dared myself to remove my shoes at school.
You have a good reason to wear shoes at work. We have dress code at office that basically requires certain type of shoes. That reason is really sad but at least I can found shoes with flexible sole that looks almost like it should look. Maybe I'll try the real barefoot shoes some day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-A-2v26WrQ?a&b or http://www.instructables.com/id/Barefoot-Incognito/  ;D

For winter time I chose to wear winter shoes because temperatures can drop to -25*C at night, -10*C day. Yes my soles gets softer through winter and I need to rebuild they thickness and durability. But each spring are definitely better previous one. And as my soles gets better each season I tries to walk barefoot as long as I can. 10*C tests passed. Next winter I wish to walk freely at about 5*C. But who knows what future can bring.

I have toe socks but never go outside with just socks. I always chose to wear shoes (with socks or sockless) or go barefoot. I don't have proper huaraches. Instead I have running flip-flops. I mean regular flip-flops (durable model) with extra elastic band that hold my heel. You can see them below. I broke them last summer and successfully repair, hence the photos. Upper one was still good. Lower one is just after repair. As the name says, when You adjust the elastic band right You can run in them.
Adding toe socks or tabi socks may works during winter but it will also looks weird. I actually never tested that and maybe never need to as I have pair of VFF.

When I need to wear shoes (too hot, too cold, official things, bike riding or when stepping on glass may ruin my plans for next few days) I chose to wear:

• flip flops during summer, few times down to 10*C,
  • VFF as long as it's dry, 5*C to 15*C, occasionally 0*C to 20*C
  • sneakers for -5*C to 15*C and wet weather,
  • winter shoes for anything below zero.

archaic, I have just PIR thermometer, no lasers. With 35* sensing angle my thermometer makes very nice average. Only longer distance measuring may be problematic.
I cannot find sense in the part where You mention lasers. PIR (sometimes shorten to IR) stands for passive infrared. Many thermometers have one or two laser pointers to show operator what point (area) are measured but I never seen IR lasers there.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Atkxìn

Quote from: Toliman on January 06, 2018, 01:19:48 PM
Quote from: Atxkìn on January 06, 2018, 10:47:33 AM
In the past few years I've mostly stopped barefooting, although I will have sporadic periods of barefoot zealousness ;D, and I will try to be barefoot at home, go on walks barefoot, go running regularly barefoot, wear only socks while I'm at school, etc. It's not that I haven't kept doing things barefoot, it's just that it's so inconsistent that my feet are never in good enough condition to go for a long run or spend most of a day out barefoot. When I first started I had to ease into it but still be consistent about getting out and walking and running barefoot on all kinds of surfaces, and then I would build up foot toughness (not necessarily more calluses--it's almost like the fat pad on the bottom of my feet got thicker, not so much the skin). I guess I just need to do that again--but it's hard to restart that process each spring because winter keeps me inside. I don't really do any barefooting in winter. I will read your links about barefooting in winter on ToS. Thanks!

And do your skin become less tough again when you don't barefooting longer time?

Yes, skin definitely becomes less tough when I don't go barefoot for a longer time.

Quote from: Ertew on January 07, 2018, 04:52:25 PM
Maybe I'll try the real barefoot shoes some day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-A-2v26WrQ?a&b or http://www.instructables.com/id/Barefoot-Incognito/  ;D

For winter time I chose to wear winter shoes because temperatures can drop to -25*C at night, -10*C day. Yes my soles gets softer through winter and I need to rebuild they thickness and durability. But each spring are definitely better previous one. And as my soles gets better each season I tries to walk barefoot as long as I can. 10*C tests passed. Next winter I wish to walk freely at about 5*C. But who knows what future can bring.

I have toe socks but never go outside with just socks. I always chose to wear shoes (with socks or sockless) or go barefoot. I don't have proper huaraches. Instead I have running flip-flops. I mean regular flip-flops (durable model) with extra elastic band that hold my heel. You can see them below. I broke them last summer and successfully repair, hence the photos. Upper one was still good. Lower one is just after repair. As the name says, when You adjust the elastic band right You can run in them.
Adding toe socks or tabi socks may works during winter but it will also looks weird. I actually never tested that and maybe never need to as I have pair of VFF.

When I need to wear shoes (too hot, too cold, official things, bike riding or when stepping on glass may ruin my plans for next few days) I chose to wear:

• flip flops during summer, few times down to 10*C,
  • VFF as long as it's dry, 5*C to 15*C, occasionally 0*C to 20*C
  • sneakers for -5*C to 15*C and wet weather,
  • winter shoes for anything below zero.

Haha, that instructables.com link was so funny.  ;D  Very nice running sandals! Thanks for the photos. Very cool to see them. Nice job on the repair. I have a pair of VFFs, the trail running ones, but I don't love them. I think I will look for some toe socks and see if I can make myself a pair of running sandals, and let you know how that works! The coldest I've been able to go running (for short periods, nothing too long) is about -5*C. It's been well below that for a while, so hopefully socks with sandals will work well.

Ertew

Just a small update:
- I finally was able to walk barefoot on water. Not literally. Wet skin gets softer but since last season I can withstand concrete sidewalk with that softer version of my soles.
- This season I started riding bike barefoot. It's not as scary as I though, but significantly chiller than with flip-flops.

Now I search for blue, waterproof skin paint. Why? For cosplay reason, because I can't find blue VFF.

Batureang 🦈

I miss going barefoot.  I posted on this thread way back when, I used to go barefoot all day every day.  That stopped when I had to get a real job and not just go to school anymore.  I miss it :(

Ertew

I have to wear safety shoes at work and decided to wear any shoes on my way to work, just to be safe. That's all for me. After work I can remove shoes and take long walk (or bike ride) around town. If that's not enough I can walk or run few extra km each time weather doesn't play naughty.

Yes, I have to wear shoes each day, but almost each day I walk barefoot outside (excluding winter). Can You do the same after work?

Batureang 🦈

I do take some walks barefoot and I never wear shoes in the house.  But I live on Phoenix and even goibn in to September the pavement and sidewalks are 100- degrees during the day.