Barefooting

Started by Human No More, June 07, 2011, 12:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk'makto

Kaltxì
(Sry my english is not perfect but I try my best....  :) )
Because I've read this Thread I try to walk barefoot. But I walked only one time since the thread is started. I walked 6km. 1km on broken stones, 2km in the forest and 3km on grassland.
Than I've thought my feets try to kill me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
OK I know. It was to much for the first time. Especially the broken stones.
But I must repeat it......  :D :D :D :D
It was Great.....
Ok I'm close to nature but walking barefoot is not the thing what I do daily so I don't had it done very often.
But now...... I'll try to do it more often.
Kìyevame
Die Himmelsmenschen haben uns eine Botschaft gesandt, dass sie sich alles nehmen können was sie wollen und dass niemand sie aufhalten kann. Aber wir schicken ihnen auch eine Botschaft; fliegt so schnell wie euch der Wind nur tragen kann; ruft die anderen Clans herbei. Sagt ihnen Toruk'makto ruft sie zu sich. Ihr fliegt jetzt mit mir. Meine Brüder, Schwestern und dann zeigen wir den Himmelsmenschen, dass sie sich nicht alles nehmen können was sie wollen und dass dies unser Land ist.

Human No More

It depends where you are. Here, people do still look sometimes, but a lot of people really couldn't care less, I've gone into various shops without shoes and never had a comment.

Glass isn't as much of a problem as you might think, it's relatively easy to see if you watch where you're going, and I've stepped on small pieces without injury or it getting stuck. Actually, the worst thing I've stepped on was a small piece of gravel, which got stuck.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Lolet

Quote from: Human No More on June 12, 2011, 07:49:59 AM
It depends where you are. Here, people do still look sometimes, but a lot of people really couldn't care less, I've gone into various shops without shoes and never had a comment.

Glass isn't as much of a problem as you might think, it's relatively easy to see if you watch where you're going, and I've stepped on small pieces without injury or it getting stuck. Actually, the worst thing I've stepped on was a small piece of gravel, which got stuck.

My sister stepped on a tack once, in our house. So much for the dangers of the outdoors. :P

Kxeyo

Honestly, I also think that the risk is much lower than you may expect. And you feel it anyway: If you're about to step on something sharp you'll feel it. Your feet don't become numb because of callus...
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

guest6785

I love bare-footing in the grass and the smooth texture of sand.But at home,the ceremic tiles are always very cold that everytime I have a hot shower,my feet feels like it's on fire.

Last year,I was pierced with glass on my right leg,but I didn't realise or felt any pain for an hour until I noticed blood stains on my shoe and pants.

guest2859

Quote from: oe munge hrrap on June 12, 2011, 08:02:10 AM
I love bare-footing in the grass and the smooth texture of sand.But at home,the ceremic tiles are always very cold that everytime I have a hot shower,my feet feels like it's on fire.

Last year,I was pierced with glass on my right leg,but I didn't realise or felt any pain for an hour until I noticed blood stains on my shoe and pants.

Yeah, it's always amazing there's no pain when you need it most. The worst I done was cut my foot open - with my other foot. I chew the crap out of my fingernails, and in return, have a witch's foot. I've sliced myself twice, and I don't realize it until I feel the dampness or the dirt particles hit a nerve.

Amaya

*nods* and even when you've walked barefoot for a really long time it's still possible to do damage.  I was in the woods tramping around and slid on a loose bit of moss over sharp rocks.  Sure, there was a little pain, but it wasn't until I sat down and looked at the sole of my foot that I realized I had sliced a two-inch gash along my instep at the high point of the arch.

>.> Then once I'd rinsed it off I walked back to the beach and went swimming.  No bandage or anything like that...  I ended up losing probably more than a pint of blood.  Enough, in any case, that my mom confined me to the cabin for a week after.  Apparently I was white as a sheet...which considering I'm normally pale anyway must've been pretty white!  Through that whole time, I didn't feel a bit of pain from the cut itself.

Of course, that never stopped me from continuing to walk barefoot, but it did make me a lot more aware of the vulnerability of my arches.  Since they never touch the ground, they don't get callused.

'Itan Atxur

That story made me cringe :o

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Amaya

;D it wasn't painful...just stupid ;) But then, I was twelve, so, you know, occasional stupidity goes with the territory 8) 8) 8)

'Itan Atxur

Only occasional? My brother and I were stupid every day, hrh. Half the time I never remembered getting whatever injury I had that day but once I realized I was hurt I'd make a big deal out of it anyways   ::)

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Human No More

Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on June 12, 2011, 07:57:53 AM
Honestly, I also think that the risk is much lower than you may expect. And you feel it anyway: If you're about to step on something sharp you'll feel it. Your feet don't become numb because of callus...
Exactly. I've stepped on particularly sharp pieces of gravel before and it's almost a reflex reaction not to put your foot down fully onto it. Possibly it's normally stronger but just gets atrophied with everyone stomping around in heavy shoes as there is no need for such a reflex, so it isn't as effective as it should be - certainly, people who have never worn shoes never have any problems at all.

As for arches, perhaps try walking on more uneven ground, which might toughen them a bit.

The worst thing I ever did to a foot was when I was barefoot while (very) drunk, I ended up falling over and getting a decent sized cut on the side of my foot, but if I had been wearing shoes I probably would have just inured my ankle instead, while as it was I could still walk and even run afterwards.
The other thing was actually done by shoes, the last time I have worn 'normal' shoes (as opposed to my Vibram FiveFingers :)), when I was wearing them through most of the day and got a HUGE blister on each foot.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Hufwe ta'em

I found an solution : http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
it a shoe like a barefoot :P

archaic

Strange, too many toes. ???
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Kxeyo

Quote from: Hufwe ta'em on June 29, 2011, 08:54:00 AM
I found an solution : http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
it a shoe like a barefoot :P

You can't read, can you? Human No More wrote about 3 times that he owns a pair of those. And that he wears them if he can't walk barefoot.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Smaoe

Going barefoot is something that I've been doing for quite a long while. The only time I wear shoes is in the winter (I don't want frostbite) and when I'm forced to wear shoes (restaurant requirements, etc.) and when that's the case I grab a pair of flip flops which are closer to barefoot than anything to me. I should buy a pair of the FiveFinger shoes.  ;D

Amaya

Just arrived at the cabin yesterday.

Shoes came off before I left the dock! 8) 8) 8) 8) :P

Nì'i'a rohelna'rìng oe lu! *content*

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Hell yes!  I didn't read the whole thread or anything, but i wanted to say that I've been going barefoot for about...three years now?

It was gradual, of course.  i started but just taking my shoes off in class, then I started going class to class carying them, then I started leaving them in the Band room, then I started taking my socks off too.  This entire Summer for my college program, I don't even wear shoes outside of my dorm.  I have only worn tennis shoes three times this summer (To go to the gym once, to go hiking and for orientation) and I only wear flip flops for the shower (even thats rare) and sometimes int he food place if they make me.

I love it!

Lolet

One of the guys on Dual Survivor (Discovery Channel) doesn't ever wear shoes, not even when it's snowing.

Human No More

Now that's some dedication... must be cold at first, but I'm sure you get used to it. I'm a bit disappointed I worse shoes all the time when it snowed last winter, if it snows in 2011/2012 winter then I'll go barefoot as much as I can... they aren't going to get tougher otherwise :P

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Lolet te Maticay on July 01, 2011, 03:49:47 PM
One of the guys on Dual Survivor (Discovery Channel) doesn't ever wear shoes, not even when it's snowing.
He only wore socks on a glacier for traction. And once in a desert because there were cactus needles everywhere.
they killed the [you] tag