Norwegian professor in Norway planning to decrease number of born childs

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, January 22, 2013, 01:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

The Environmental Organization in Norway have plans to decrease the ability to parents of number of children. They are going to sign a law that there is only allowed to have 1 child. They are saying this, because the world will not be like it is today in the future. I heard this on the radio this morning. I'll give you all a link later this day.

Niri Te

Didn't. China try this?  I don't think that it worked too well for them.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Norwegian Professor believes families should have only one child.

The Norwegian professor Jørgen Randers believe that people should not have more than one child. It can save the environment, said the professor of climate strategy.
Randers is a former leader of Low Emissions who in 2006 delivered a series of radical proposals for how Norway could cut its national greenhouse gas emissions by between 50 and 90 percent by 2050, writes Our Country.

Now he thinks it needs to harder liquor.

- We are worse looking than four years ago. World emissions will go up to 2030, where there will be a peak. In 2050 we are back at the same level as today, so I think people in reality is not going to cut anything, he says to Technical Review.

Randers believe that the increasing level of prosperity will make the consumption of oil, coal and gas per person only will skyrocket, and therefore believe that future families should take responsibility for climate changes and limit themselves to one child.

- One-child families to curb population growth and is part of the climate solution. My hope is that it may help some to have a world that is as similar as possible to the one we currently have, he says.

http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/innenriks/professor-mener-familier-kun-boer-faa-ett-barn-3970651.html

http://translate.google.no/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tv2.no%2Fnyheter%2Finnenriks%2Fprofessor-mener-familier-kun-boer-faa-ett-barn-3970651.html

Niri Te

I think what will happen, is that the better educated, wealthier countries will do this, some already ARE without Government intervention, individual couples in more educated countries understand that smaller families live better.
The poorer countries, where there is little education, little chance at a livelihood, and cultural and religious pressure is strongest, will continue to go on doing what they have been doing for centuries.
This will only serve to widen the gap between the "have", and "Have not" countries to where there will only be two ends of the extreme on the planet.
Niri Tawa

Tìtstewan

How would they solve the problem with the pensioner and their payment?
Here in Germany we see an up comming problem:
Not enough young people who can go to work and pay into the pensioner pot.
(Note: here it have a system names "inter-generational contract".)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Looks like professor Jørgen Randers is not the only one. The BBC legend Sir David Attenborough says this too.

He states with these words:

"We are a plague on the Earth. It's coming home to roost over the next 50 years or so,"
"It's not just climate change; it's sheer space, places to grow food for this enormous horde,"
"We keep putting on programmes about famine in Ethiopia; that's what's happening. Too many people there. They can't support themselves – and it's not an inhuman thing to say. It's the case. Until humanity manages to sort itself out and get a co-ordinated view about the planet it's going to get worse and worse."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-01-22/david-attenborough-humans-are-a-plague-on-the-earth

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

First of all, I will agree with what Niri Te says. People with a better education, or a higher 'caste' in society tend to breed less. I have discussed this many times with a philosopher friend of mine, who has studied this situation extensively.

The exploding population results in human encroachment, which results in many animal species being wiped out, including lions :(

However, trying to limit human breeding by legislation will IMHO, not work. If our society is ready to embrace infanticide, maybe it will work. (Infanticide is apparently widely practiced in China now, but I doubt it's legal.) I don't think this approach is the answer. Because the desire to reproduce is hardwired into people as part of our 'animal past', it is very difficult to overcome. Although educated people can be taught to breed less, it is virtually impossible to get people in the lower castes of society to stop breeding. And they represent the vast majority of the world population.

Ultimately, I think we are headed for a massive die-off, which is going to be ugly beyond description. In nature though, die-offs are fairly common and serve to regulate population.

For my part, I never plan to breed. I'll breed more lions, instead :)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Niri Te

You are a smart man, 'Eylan Ayfalulukana. I had a friend who was licensed to have a pet Puma. I used to play with him a couple of times a month. (The Puma).

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 22, 2013, 10:46:50 AM
How would they solve the problem with the pensioner and their payment?
Here in Germany we see an up comming problem:
Not enough young people who can go to work and pay into the pensioner pot.
(Note: here it have a system names "inter-generational contract".)
This, same situation in Czech and I think in the whole European Union. Retired people are still paid mostly from taxes generated by working people, but ratio working people/retired people decreased constantly. And many can't find work, so situation is even worse (they do not generated taxes, but instead take money from the system).
Also economists still speak about "permanently sustainable development". It assumes that production still increase, people still buy more and more things. What a mistake! It simply can't work, who of you buy a new car every two or three years? Or washer, washing machine, TV...? All these have quite long lifetime, let's say about ten years, so there's no need to buy them more often (unless you want/need to upgrade to new technologies which give you new value). At same point market is full, so production decreases, people are fired out, do not have money, do not buy - and crisis is here.
I don't see any simple solution. People would take care about yourself (and must at least in question of pensions, as they get less and less money from the state).
In the past, people were self-sufficient - cities weren't so big, in the country everybody had a small field where they could grow vegetables, corn etc. for own consumption. What one couldn't consume oneself, could change for something different. They breed cows, pigs.
IMHO situation leads us back to these times, as agriculture is now deformed by grants and price supports, so meal which could be produced in our own country is produced at different place and must be imported. That's just wrong. What occurs when petrol crisis arise, how we import needed gods? It is enough when electrical energy is unavailable and all our society crash quickly.
Also, in the past whole family has taken care about old members - this doesn't work these days too much.
IMO there must be some kind of return "back to the roots", otherwise life will be more and more harder.

Well, I probably went OT. Just wanted to say that in the past families had many children and it worked (of course, medical care was worse, so many died at low age). We need to change something and it maybe will work again. We need consume less resources and be able to take care about yourself more.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Stranger Come Knocking

If we were truly intelligent, we might try to focus on colonizing the moon or Mars to make space and relieve pressure.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Stranger Come Knocking on January 23, 2013, 11:03:41 AM
If we were truly intelligent, we might try to focus on colonizing the moon or Mars to make space and relieve pressure.
it demands big resources..... I've read sometimes in 80's that at 2002-2005 first flight with people to Mars will be reality. It wasn't until now....
Also, how to produce food in the cosmos? I don't know if it was solved.
But living on the Moon could be good experience.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

'Itan Atxur

I've brought up the idea of population control with friends and co-workers in the past. They all look at me like I have 12 heads. Whether we need it or not, it's not likely to work. Too many people will just do whatever the hell they want anyways.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Colonizing the moon or Mars is very possible. The engineering problems are quite solvable, or have been solved. the political and socioeconomic problems, however, are much tougher to solve. We will only do this if we (as the human race) want to badly enough.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 26, 2013, 06:32:12 PM
Colonizing the moon or Mars is very possible. The engineering problems are quite solvable, or have been solved. the political and socioeconomic problems, however, are much tougher to solve. We will only do this if we (as the human race) want to badly enough.

If the global changes forcing us to do it. If we just don't want to, we can just die out on Earth.
I have a hope that we will solve the problems with the global climate.

'Itan Atxur

I honestly believe it is too late for the human race. I don't think we'll go completely extinct but our numbers will go from billions to just a few million.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Nicholas Stern(President of the British Academy, economist and academic) telling that we need to act fast. He says the global temperature will rise 4°C, not between 2°C and 3°C

Lord Stern, author of the government-commissioned review on climate change that became the reference work for politicians and green campaigners, now says he underestimated the risks, and should have been more "blunt" about the threat posed to the economy by rising temperatures.

In an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Stern, who is now a crossbench peer, said: "Looking back, I underestimated the risks. The planet and the atmosphere seem to be absorbing less carbon than we expected, and emissions are rising pretty strongly. Some of the effects are coming through more quickly than we thought then."

The Stern review, published in 2006, pointed to a 75% chance that global temperatures would rise by between two and three degrees above the long-term average; he now believes we are "on track for something like four ". Had he known the way the situation would evolve, he says, "I think I would have been a bit more blunt. I would have been much more strong about the risks of a four- or five-degree rise."

Stern's comments came as Jim Yong Kim, the new president of the World Bank, also at Davos, gave a grave warning about the risk of conflicts over natural resources should the forecast of a four-degree global increase above the historical average prove accurate.

"There will be water and food fights everywhere," Kim said as he pledged to make tackling climate change a priority of his five-year term.

Kim said action was needed to create a carbon market, eliminate fossil-fuel subsidies and "green" the world's 100 megacities, which are responsible for 60 to 70% of global emissions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jan/27/nicholas-stern-climate-change-davos

Vawmataw

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on January 27, 2013, 05:22:42 AM
I honestly believe it is too late for the human race. I don't think we'll go completely extinct but our numbers will go from billions to just a few million.
We are too much, that's right. It's too late, that's right.

And I tell you we are animals (the most intelligent ones) and our evolution will end like the one of pandas. Human race will extinct soon, at geologic level.

Sadly, global warming is at base a part of natural cycle of warming and icing. We just amplify the warming.

I think we need just to live our lives, without ignoring the Earth's state now. We'll die a day, anyway, by the global warming or not.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Kameyu a Kepekmì on January 27, 2013, 11:21:30 AM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on January 27, 2013, 05:22:42 AM
We are too much, that's right. It's too late, that's right.

And I tell you we are animals (the most intelligent ones) and our evolution will end like the one of pandas. Human race will extinct soon, at geologic level.

Sadly, global warming is at base a part of natural cycle of warming and icing. We just amplify the warming.

I think we need just to live our lives, without ignoring the Earth's state now. We'll die a day, anyway, by the global warming or not.

We still have a chance to save the planet. I believe so we have, I know we have a chance.
We need to think about the future for the children's on the planet. The children are the next generation, and they will be harmed a lot in the future, if we don't take acts now.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on January 27, 2013, 11:29:35 AM
We need to think about the future for the children's on the planet. The children are the next generation, and they will be harmed a lot in the future, if we don't take acts now.
Very true.
We're still early a little bit. In few years, I hope they will start, or it will be too late.

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu