Massive volcanic eruption from Iceland(August 2014-February 2015)

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, August 20, 2014, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

And the volcanos in Iceland are famous for releasing noxious gases, especially hydrogen fluoride.

I saw the earthquake near Jan Mayen on my earthquake alerter app as well. If its just an isolated earthquake, it probably doesn't mean much. But if more follow, then an eruption event may very well be in the works for Jan Mayen.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 05, 2015, 03:17:22 PM
And the volcanos in Iceland are famous for releasing noxious gases, especially hydrogen fluoride.

I saw the earthquake near Jan Mayen on my earthquake alerter app as well. If its just an isolated earthquake, it probably doesn't mean much. But if more follow, then an eruption event may very well be in the works for Jan Mayen.

Jan Mayen can erupt but maybe in a different location if the magma find it's way through the cracks. The main crater of the volcano is extinct and is filled with very thick ice that has been there for over 30 years since last eruption.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Seismological unrest under Katla volcano in Iceland. Two moderate 4.5 and 4.6 magnitude earthquakes last night. The depth was at only 1km, so who knows if there is some magma that are underway. Katla volcano is a ticking time bomb and have had a very powerful volcanic history. It is 98 years since a violent eruption at a Volcanic Explosivity Index of 4 to 5. 8 is highest.

Here's an overview of an earthquake swarm that has started to rumble under Katla volcano: http://en.vedur.is/#tab=skjalftar

QuoteThis night on 29 August at 01:41 an earthquake swarm started within the Katla caldera. Two earthquakes were over M4. The largest earthquake occurred at 01:47:02 M4.5 and another one 20 seconds later, M4.6. The largest earthquakes were felt in the area. About 20 aftershocks have been recorded. No tremor has been seen. About 40 earthquakes have been detected within the Katla caldera from midnight. Most of them occurred before 3 AM. The largest earthquke since then had a magnitude M3.3 at 15:12.

Katla volcano is under high surveillance,

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

There is not yet eruption from Katla volcano, just unstable movements under it which could lead to an eruption if it is not slowing down. However, Katla volcano is more known for releasing more magma than ash which could lead to a catastrophic melt of the glacier that the volcano sits beneath. Katla volcano has shown more tremors since the 2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruption which caused air travel situation in the entire Europe. Volcanoes are just as unpredictable as earthquakes.

Vawmataw

I'll have to cross my fingers... Would not be cool to get an expensive trip canceled because of some volcano.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Just hope our Norwegian volcano will not erupt. There has been recently a moderate 5.1 magnitude earthquake near Jan Mayen island which has the Beerenberg volcano. Most of the volcano are extinct, except for some other craters around the northern part of the island. Jan Mayen goes along the Atlantic Ridge, same as Iceland. Main crater of the Beerenberg volcano are extinct, but it can appear near craters on the island and in the ocean floor around the island.

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=528248