Massive volcanic eruption from Iceland(August 2014-February 2015)

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, August 20, 2014, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wind12

Hopefully it doesn't amount to too much, I have been following it too because I'm in to weather/related things .

Vawmataw

I don't know if you're still interested to the volcano, but well...
Here's the list of the earthquakes in the last 24 hours.
old gallery link?id=5805[/img]
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 01, 2014, 08:44:37 AM
I don't know if you're still interested to the volcano, but well...
Here's the list of the earthquakes in the last 24 hours.
old gallery link?id=5805[/img]

Wow, what an amazing volcanic eruption. Nothing too serious, but wow, i do love volcanoes. I am gonna travel one day to Iceland :)
BBC News Footage shows latest eruption at Bardarbunga volcano

Here's a livestream from the volcano. It is live now as we speak
Bárðarbunga volcano - livestream

Another thing, the earthquakes at the volcanic island Jan Mayen has been upgraded. Both of those earthquakes. A 4.6 magnitude and a 4.7 magnitude
http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=397691

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Tìtstewan on September 01, 2014, 11:07:19 AM
It's indeed amazing to see that!

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on September 01, 2014, 10:40:17 AM
It seems that Germany is the only country on this planet one cannot enjoy youtube. >:(

I know that. I think you are the only country in the world that has blocked videos on YouTube, where Gesellschaft für musikalische Aufführungs- und mechanische Vervielfältigungsrechte(GEMA) is responsible for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube_videos_in_Germany

You can always see the livestream here: http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga/

Tìtstewan

Yeah, that video (you have linked) is not blocked by GEMA, it is blocked because "right issues" ::) Whatever that mean...

/off-topic

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I see the earthquake activity has died down quite a bit, but there are still some particularly strong quakes. The die-down is probably the result of underground pressure being released by the eruption.

In looking at the earthquake map, I am guessing that the long narrow area of seismic activity is where the eruption is. There is still lots of activity to the southeast of this area. So, I am guessing an eruption there is possible, as well.

If activity is being seen at Jan Mayen, I wonder if there isn't a more generalized magma upwelling, that could result in a longer period of eruptive activity in that part of the world.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Vawmataw

Vawmataw

It's quiet, but there are still strong earthquakes. Recently, there was a magnitude 5.5 earthquake (I wrote Wednesday, but I'm not 100% sure).

old gallery link?id=5870[/img]

Wind12

Irayo, nìtxan for that link!! very impressive indeed! I glad that it didn't interact with the glacier to produce the big ash clouds as feared.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The 5.5 was on Wednesday. In looking how the overall activity is ramping down, I wonder if the occasional strong quakes arent the result of partial collapse of the magma chambers as they empty. The fact that the strongest quakes seem to all peak in the same general energy range, and that the weak quakes seem to be happening in stepped groups kind of suggests this.

Yawey ngahu!

Vawmataw

Your hypothesis seems really logical.

Quote from: en.vedur.isSaturday
06.09.2014   05:40:50   64.679  -17.405   2.8 km   5.0   99.0   7.2 km NE of Bárðarbunga
That's curious

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Oh yeah, it's very scary to be near a volcano when it is about to erupt. For an example this one, who just recently erupted on Papua New Guinea
Amazing volcano footage: Eruption, shockwave caught on camera in Papua New Guinea

Vawmataw

Vawmataw

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 07, 2014, 08:11:43 PM
Is it the fissure eruption?
Yep, it is still ongoing, but it is releasing a big amount of ash clouds.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I think you mean it is not releasing a big ash cloud, kefyak?

The Papa New Guinea explosion is impressive. I have never seen a shock wave like that from a natural explosion. I suspect that is a subduction zone volcano. Those are famous for being explosive, and generating pyroclastic flows. And it looks like there might be such a flow on the front of that eruption.

As for the iceland volcano, it looks like there is plenty of energy behind it. Hot, fluid lava like the Hawaiian volcanos (but its cooling a lot faster), and it looks like there has been a lot of it ejected in this eruption.

Yawey ngahu!

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Well, it wasn't me who expelled the gas, heheh ;D

Just hope it doesn't get too much, because gas from a volcano is pretty toxic. Will be dangerous to light a candle.
Many along the Norwegian coast has reported they are smelling some strange and very strong gas. It has been confirmed that the smell is coming from the Bardarbunga volcano on Iceland. It has been transported across the Atlantic and over to the Norwegian coast.

Here's a link. It is on Norwegian, couldn't find anything on English: http://www.nrk.no/mr/melder-om-gasslukt-over-stort-omrad-1.11923138
- There is no precipitation between Iceland and Norway, that's why the gas will not be precipitated before it hits the Norwegian Coast, said meteorologist Vibeke Thyness.
Gas smell spreading across the Norwegian coast tribes of all probability from the volcano in Iceland, Bardarbunga. That confirms Vibeke Thyness at the Norwegian Meteorological Institute she told to NRK.
It is probably the emission of sulfur gases from the volcano that has been transported across the Atlantic. This is quite a large spill which has been a long time, says Thyness.
She explains that the high pressure over Scotland, wind and little rain has made it possible for the gas to travel across the ocean.
Meteorologist calms all fear that sulfur gases to be dangerous - as they have been warning about the Island.

- The gases have gone over the sea, so it's probably just the smell again. The concentration is probably very small now.