North American Solar Eclipse, August 21st 2017

Started by Wind12, August 12, 2017, 12:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Nice Image ma Vawmataw :)
Did you observe it also through telescope with filter? There was nice group of sunspots on the Sun during time of eclipse.

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 21, 2017, 07:27:14 PM
Quotequite disappointing
Why would you say such a thing? The totality was only for a narrow band across the country.
Yeah, we should enjoy each eclipse which we can see.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Toliman on August 22, 2017, 05:09:05 AM
Did you observe it also through telescope with filter? There was nice group of sunspots on the Sun during time of eclipse.
I did try to observe the Sun with my toy telescope and the photo filter, but I did it not long after the maximum. However, I made a solar projection much earlier and I spotted one sunspot.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 22, 2017, 01:09:43 PM
Quote from: Toliman on August 22, 2017, 05:09:05 AM
I did try to observe the Sun with my toy telescope and the photo filter, but I did it not long after the maximum. However, I made a solar projection much earlier and I spotted one sunspot.
Yeah, there was (and still is) one relatively big sunspot on the Sun (+ some other smaller), I think that you saw exactly this sunspot - this sunspot could be easily visible even with using solar projection.
(I observed sunspots yesterday through my telescope)

Toliman

Just found this:

Threading the celestial needle: Catching the Great American Eclipse at 35,000 feet

Catching a solar eclipse in a plane might seem like a flight of fancy, but we're not ones to turn down a challenge. Alaska Airlines put together a team of aviators, astronomers and umbraphiles to catch The Great American Eclipse on August 21, 2017. The result? A once-in-a-lifetime view of totality ...

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/solar-eclipse/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FwF1DvksIQ

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

I think that such flight would be interesting experience :)