North American Solar Eclipse, August 21st 2017

Started by Wind12, August 12, 2017, 12:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wind12

On August 21st, a total solar eclipse will cross the US coast to coast with a partial eclipse able to be seen in Canada and Mexico as well. My apologies if there is another thread for this here that I didn't see.

I am lucky enough to be in the path of totality, I have always loved weather and the sky, so it should be an awesome event, hopefully "taw layu piak tsakrr" ;) so this thread is for anybody that wants to talk about, or share any pics of the event from thier prospective if the wish, I may try to take a pic, but my tablet may not create a good shot. :p

Toliman

I would like see it, but too far for me right now :(

In any case - enjoy it! :) You and you all who can be on right places during eclipse time :) Clear sky for you all!

Wind12

Irayo nìtxan ma Toliman :) yea I know its a rare event, so I'm going to try to enjoy it as much as I can, they say during totality we may be able to see stars in the day time.

Tìtstewan

Yes, you should enjoy it. I've seen the august 1999 eclipse, and the next total solar eclipse in central europe will be in september 3, 2081...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

I'm almost ready. I just need to make a screen and the eclipse may happen.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 12, 2017, 05:46:33 PM
Yes, you should enjoy it. I've seen the august 1999 eclipse, and the next total solar eclipse in central europe will be in september 3, 2081...
I've seen it too. I was very young at that time but I still remember it very well.
So everybody who can, enjoy it! :)

Wind12

The last one here was in 1994 (partial) and I was in school, and they told us that we were going to be given viewing glasses and we were going to get to watch it in the playground area, well the day of, they chickened out and the teacher told us they were afriad that someone would look at the sun, so they didn't let us out to see it, I did steal a brief glance through a window anyway ( not suppossed to do that but, I was young and only did it for a brief instant and I got away with it, lol) So I'm looking forward to this total one for sure, they are saying we may have many visitors in town because of it enough to possibly triple or even more the population of my city.

Toliman

Quote from: Wind12 on August 14, 2017, 11:26:11 PM
The last one here was in 1994 (partial) and I was in school ...
The last eclipse here was partial eclipse at 2015. It was very nice (despite that it was visible only as partial eclipse from my country) and also weather it eclipse time was excellent in my country. I observed it theough my telescope with solar filter.

Wind12

We have eclipse glasses for this time around, and we are already starting to get new people in town, there is an RV parked in a lot behind our house, its getting closer :)

Jak Dawsiin

hi Wind  :)

are there any timeframes for this solar eclipse? i'm here in Virginia, so it would be Eastern Standard Time.

Wind12

Hey Jak!!! :D your best time should be close to 2:45 pm EDT. the total part will be to your south, but you should still get a nice partial eclipse. I hope you are doing well man.

Vawmataw

Eclipse glasses
Photo filter
Toy telescope and screen
Favourable weather
Spare time
Ability to wait

Jak Dawsiin

thanks, Wind  :) hope you are doing fine, as well.

my company is allowing people to take an extended break during the eclipse, and make up any lost productivity later in the week. some people at the fabrication shop, have already set up a tent with chairs, drink coolers lol, and a box of grade 5 welding goggles. i'm still not looking directly at it, even with glasses. i read this report that the eclipse light can damage the camera lens on cameras and cell-phones, as well as your eyes. i'm just going the watch the freakshow.  :o

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 20, 2017, 04:40:22 PM
Eclipse glasses
Photo filter
Toy telescope and screen
Favourable weather
Spare time
Ability to wait
HRH ;D Waiting can be long sometimes

I like hear that you can expect favourable weather :)

Tirea Aean

Was a total ripoff in Maryland. The sun looked kinda cool, but it did not look like anything near a total eclipse. It didn't even look like a crescent in any regard either.

Here are some of my photos of the eclipse as I was able to see it here. (quite disappointing, but it is at least somewhat cool)

Toliman

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 21, 2017, 04:27:14 PM
It didn't even look like a crescent in any regard either.
Hmm ... what you used for observation? Solar glasses for eclipse?

Vawmataw

Quotequite disappointing
Why would you say such a thing? The totality was only for a narrow band across the country.

Quote from: Toliman on August 21, 2017, 06:01:46 PM
I guess he used no glasses.
Anyway you can't see any crescent with the naked eye because the remaining part of the Sun is too bright.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 21, 2017, 07:27:14 PM
Quotequite disappointing
Why would you say such a thing? The totality was only for a narrow band across the country.

To me, cuz of my circumstance. I'm sure it was the most epic thing in centuries. I just sadly wasn't able to properly see it. :(

Quote from: Toliman on August 21, 2017, 06:01:46 PM
I guess he used no glasses.
Anyway you can't see any crescent with the naked eye because the remaining part of the Sun is too bright.

I didn't really have a means to get any. Oh well. I'm enjoying all the cool photos and videos that other people managed to get. Pretty cool stuff out there.

Vawmataw

Well, you could use the pinhole projection or even take an observation instrument and project the image of the Sun. Anyway, there's 2024.

Vawmataw

It's been a very good day for me. Unfortunately, Wind12 had clouds, so let's hope 'Eylan Ayfalulukanä has something to show us.
I woke up to fog this morning and so I've passed several hours wondering if I'll ever see the eclipse. After 11 o'clock, I made a pre-eclipse test and I saw some sunny spell. I guessed I would get away with that. However, I've got a better weather conditions, which is a partly cloudy sky during the entirety of the eclipse. As an attachment, here's a picture of the sun during the maximum (52%).