Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

UPDATE

World population increased almost 200,000 in one day

from the last post was it:

we are now:

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Seze Mune on September 03, 2011, 06:15:05 PM
Perhaps Eywa will take care of this. Wars, illnesses and climate change are ways to pare the population.  It's sad we have to depend on this rather than our intelligence.  But who would voluntarily decide to remain childless?  Some of course, but very few. 

To reduce the world population you don't have to have no children. One child per family would do the trick.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on October 20, 2011, 04:58:15 AM
Quote from: Seze Mune on September 03, 2011, 06:15:05 PM
Perhaps Eywa will take care of this. Wars, illnesses and climate change are ways to pare the population.  It's sad we have to depend on this rather than our intelligence.  But who would voluntarily decide to remain childless?  Some of course, but very few. 

To reduce the world population you don't have to have no children. One child per family would do the trick.

Exactly.  Too many families are having 3+ children, and those that are having 2 children aren't helping (nor are they hurting).  Overpopulation crises is why I plan on having no kids at all.

Quote from: Nargacuga667 on October 18, 2011, 04:12:23 PM
If you ever Google "Denver Airport Conspiracy", it appears that an unprovable group supposedly has the answer to the population crisis. Though I'd rather it not happen, we can't stop what isn't seen or there.

* 'Oma Tirea newomum...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on October 18, 2011, 03:41:51 PM
Quote from: Kamean on October 18, 2011, 03:23:59 PM
I wonder when there will be 8?

they say that from 2011 to 2050 will the population increase 2.3 billions

so in 2050 will we be around 9.3 billions

Maybe by 2148 (Jake's time) it won't even be 15 billion for a world population yet.

Still, it sickens me to think of a world population that high.  There are days I just wish the world population was less than a billion, maybe even less than 100,000,000.  The topic of overpopulation is a much undervalued one and deserves much more awareness than it's getting.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

archaic

Adnan Nevic was born on Tuesday October 12, 1999 at 00:02 local time (22:02GMT/17:02EST)
The then UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan officially named him as the 6 000 000 000th human. Born 8lb (3.55kg) to Fatima Nevic in a hospital in Sarajevo, Bosnia.
It has taken just 12 years for the human race to add another billion to it's population.
If this rate of increase continues, Jake Sully will be one of over 18 billion humans.
However, if this is compound, then Jake Sully will be one of over 40 billion humans.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on October 24, 2011, 01:04:14 AM

Maybe by 2148 (Jake's time) it won't even be 15 billion for a world population yet.

Still, it sickens me to think of a world population that high.  There are days I just wish the world population was less than a billion, maybe even less than 100,000,000.  The topic of overpopulation is a much undervalued one and deserves much more awareness than it's getting.

1 billion? then you need to go back to around the birth of Jesus, around 2011 years ago

guest2859

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on October 24, 2011, 10:50:33 AM

1 billion? then you need to go back to around the birth of Jesus, around 2011 years ago

It's exponential, as in the growth rate increases every year, so the population 2k years ago may have been a couple million, then would slowly increase, creating a larger population, and also as it grows, the rate grows. So, if we had a Terraform Jupiter, we could be running many more generations, to the point where it'd be impossible to keep an accurate world population.

But this is a natural cycle of life, called Carrying Capacity, take a small forest for example. You have deer in that forest, wildgrass, and a small pond. With 2 deer, there is enough to last them a year. Then they repopulate to over 20, where there's enough to last 1/10th a year, and so on, but then the population raises past the level that the biome can maintain, then the "Survival of the Fittest" kicks in, because there's too many deer for the biome.

But this repeats, when the resources are too small, the population declines to where the resources can manage, and then the population grows again, repeating the above. It follows the shape of 'sin(x)', where the population is constantly rising and growing around the resource's limits, the peak of each hump being the peak of numbers, to the point they die off, creating the decreasing part that bottoms out for the Utopia this world could only handle.

But, I'd say humanity is reaching the peak of this, sad to say we're going to die off, to maybe 2 billion (Denver Airport Conspiracy Predefined Population), where the world could manage humans.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Nargacuga667 on October 24, 2011, 03:20:20 PM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on October 24, 2011, 10:50:33 AM

It's exponential, as in the growth rate increases every year, so the population 2k years ago may have been a couple million, then would slowly increase, creating a larger population, and also as it grows, the rate grows. So, if we had a Terraform Jupiter, we could be running many more generations, to the point where it'd be impossible to keep an accurate world population.

But this is a natural cycle of life, called Carrying Capacity, take a small forest for example. You have deer in that forest, wildgrass, and a small pond. With 2 deer, there is enough to last them a year. Then they repopulate to over 20, where there's enough to last 1/10th a year, and so on, but then the population raises past the level that the biome can maintain, then the "Survival of the Fittest" kicks in, because there's too many deer for the biome.

But this repeats, when the resources are too small, the population declines to where the resources can manage, and then the population grows again, repeating the above. It follows the shape of 'sin(x)', where the population is constantly rising and growing around the resource's limits, the peak of each hump being the peak of numbers, to the point they die off, creating the decreasing part that bottoms out for the Utopia this world could only handle.

But, I'd say humanity is reaching the peak of this, sad to say we're going to die off, to maybe 2 billion (Denver Airport Conspiracy Predefined Population), where the world could manage humans.

It's impossible to terraform Jupiter, the gravity is too high

and look at the storms there
in the storms there, the wind is over 178 m/s (400 mph/643 kmh)

How are you going to decrease the extreme wind, and think about the magnetic field on Jupiter, it's too strong, If you ever settle down on Jupiter, you die, because you can't protect you of solar radiation, because of the strong magnetic field
Jupiter's magnetic field is the largest and most powerful magnetic field in the solar system

and Jupiter is almost like a pulsar,

here is the defintion of a pulsar:
A pulsar is a highly magnetized, rotating neutron star that emits a beam of electromagnetic radiation. The radiation can only be observed when the beam of emission is pointing towards the Earth. This is called the lighthouse effect and gives rise to the pulsed nature that gives pulsars their name. Because neutron stars are very dense objects, the rotation period and thus the interval between observed pulses is very regular.

And do you want to listen the sounds of Jupiter? they're kind of creepy, this is recorded by Voyager

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on October 24, 2011, 03:45:26 PM
Quote from: Nargacuga667 on October 24, 2011, 03:20:20 PM

It's impossible to terraform Jupiter, the gravity is too high

and look at the storms there
in the storms there, the wind is over 178 m/s (400 mph/643 kmh)

How are you going to decrease the extreme wind, and think about the magnetic field on Jupiter, it's too strong, If you ever settle down on Jupiter, you die, because you can't protect you of solar radiation, because of the strong magnetic field
Jupiter's magnetic field is the largest and most powerful magnetic field in the solar system

and Jupiter is almost like a pulsar,

here is the defintion of a pulsar:
A pulsar is a highly magnetized, rotating neutron star that emits a beam of electromagnetic radiation. The radiation can only be observed when the beam of emission is pointing towards the Earth. This is called the lighthouse effect and gives rise to the pulsed nature that gives pulsars their name. Because neutron stars are very dense objects, the rotation period and thus the interval between observed pulses is very regular.

I don't think he's suggesting we terraform Jupiter. I think he's just saying if we HAD a planet roughly the size of Jupiter. Obviously Jupiter is to hostile an environment for life as we know it. It's a gas giant and the actual land mass (if there even is a surface) is buried so deep within the atmosphere we'd never reach it.

On the topic of overpopulation though, I personally feel that this is by FAR the biggest issue facing us and am very disappointed at how little attention it gets.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on October 24, 2011, 09:43:27 PM
On the topic of overpopulation though, I personally feel that this is by FAR the biggest issue facing us and am very disappointed at how little attention it gets.

Tewti!  Someone's on my side! :D

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Irtaviš Ačankif

Still, it sickens me to think of a world population that high.  There are days I just wish the world population was less than a billion, maybe even less than 100,000,000.  The topic of overpopulation is a much undervalued one and deserves much more awareness than it's getting.
Without that high a world population, most of the people here would not be existant. It is a wonder that ANYTHING would have a following, simply because of the infinite monkey theorem and the large population. For example, the Na'vi language...

1 child per person wouldn't work. China does that, and it doesn't work. People secretly give birth to children while evading fines by not registrating the birth and not getting an ID card from the government. Many of my friends officially do not exist! They are not even counted in the population. China is MORE overpopulated than the censuses think.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

'Itan Atxur

Then what would you suggest? People certainly wouldn't go for no children at all. While many people may be dodging the government I see at least trying for the one child per family rule to be better than nothing. If we DON'T do something about our population... mother nature will. And it will be far more harsh and cruel than law we could pass on ourselves.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Here's my plan -

- Government subsidized female and male contraceptives
- Government subsidized abortion (religious-right be damned)
- Rolling back tax breaks for large families (over 2 children)
- Thorough sexual education as a standardized part of the school curriculum (for public schools and private schools that take any form of public funding)
- Thorough environmental education standardized for school curriculum's (again, for public schools and publicly-funded private schools)

Not a mandatory one-child policy, but a policy that offers a wide-variety of family-planning options, and ensures that each new generation is knowledgeable about themselves and the effects they have on the planet.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Lolet

I kind of doubt that government-subsidized abortions will ever become a reality (at least in America).

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on October 25, 2011, 11:40:08 AM
Then what would you suggest? People certainly wouldn't go for no children at all. While many people may be dodging the government I see at least trying for the one child per family rule to be better than nothing. If we DON'T do something about our population... mother nature will. And it will be far more harsh and cruel than law we could pass on ourselves.
Do consider the fact that every single organism's population EXCEPT FROM HUMANS is limited by Mother Nature's tool of death at carrying capacity. Sure, it doesn't sound good and will make the Earth stabilize at a somewhat overcrowded carrying capacity, but it is a fact that the policies in China have only encouraged more giving birth. Places like China and India are the most overpopulated - forget your underpopulated USA which only has SEVEN numbers after the area code  ;D If it doesn't work in China, it will make no difference even if it works in the USA. People have a strong desire to disobey the government, especially a corrupt government which nominally has tons of power over what you do but can be paid off with a petty bribe or even some nice-sounding words. Chinese people do not respect the government at all, and they take pride in defying it. Example (not related to birth stuff here): Government tries to stop a family from buying more than 2 houses. Then comes all sorts of "paper divorces" where husband and wife do not actually divorce (i.e. they still live together) but they get a divorce document. This way, they are counted as 2 families, and can then buy 4 houses.

And ma Tsyal Maktoyu, subsidizing abortion and contraceptives not ethical at all - people have the right to get children when they want, and positive rewards for something people have the right to refuse is as bad as negative threats for not doing so. It is a form of coercion. If people did that before, there would be a big chance that you wouldn't be born. Additionally, most people would agree that children are great. And if we just spread China, Japan, India, and all of those too-dense population places' population into the rest of the world, overpopulation would be a joke.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on October 25, 2011, 04:50:26 PM
Here's my plan -

- Thorough sexual education as a standardized part of the school curriculum (for public schools and private schools that take any form of public funding)
- Thorough environmental education standardized for school curriculum's (again, for public schools and publicly-funded private schools)

Not a mandatory one-child policy, but a policy that offers a wide-variety of family-planning options, and ensures that each new generation is knowledgeable about themselves and the effects they have on the planet.

I think you are taking for granted that the small-minded among us will roll over and play dead.  I'm afraid I have much too low of a regard for our species to ever even hope that logic and sense would prevail over the superstition and ignorance that religion is built on. I think we have a catastrophic population reducing event in store. Question is will it be natural or man-made?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Lolet

Quote from: Toruk Makto on October 25, 2011, 07:27:19 PM
Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on October 25, 2011, 04:50:26 PM
Here's my plan -

I think you are taking for granted that the small-minded among us will roll over and play dead.  I'm afraid I have much too low of a regard for our species to ever even hope that logic and sense would prevail over the superstition and ignorance that religion is built on. I think we have a catastrophic population reducing event in store. Question is will it be natural or man-made?

Religious people are not stupid. And it would be great if we could keep the discussion respectful.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 25, 2011, 06:56:55 PM
And ma Tsyal Maktoyu, subsidizing abortion and contraceptives not ethical at all - people have the right to get children when they want, and positive rewards for something people have the right to refuse is as bad as negative threats for not doing so. It is a form of coercion. If people did that before, there would be a big chance that you wouldn't be born.
How is it unethical? No one is forcing anyone to take contraceptives or have an abortion, I clearly stated that. In fact, it is the most libertarian option (in it's traditional definition, not so much neo-libertarianism), because it gives people who might not originally be able to afford family planning tools access to said tools.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Seze Mune

I think we have a catastrophic population reducing event in store. Question is will it be natural or man-made?

I agree, and I think it will be a combination of both.  I don't really see it as a doomsday scenario, though.  I read somewhere that a MAJOR population reduction has happened before, and they estimated the number of people left were in the hundreds.  Somehow, they deduced that through genetic research.  Sorry I don't have the cites on hand for you.

'Itan Atxur

I'm afraid I have much too low of a regard for our species to ever even hope that logic and sense would prevail over the superstition and ignorance that religion is built on. I think we have a catastrophic population reducing event in store. Question is will it be natural or man-made?

Unfortunately this is the way I see it too. The amount of people I know who don't understand what we're doing to ourselves, don't believe we're actually harming ourselves, or just... don't... care is staggering. And I really hate to say this, and I swear I'm trying to say it as respectfully as I can, but I believe that while religions are generally good and such, the amount of damage that comes from them far outweighs the good. Many of my more religious friends just don't see the need to look out for the future of the planet.

And for the record I also believe that 90% of religious people ARE good people who truly believe they are doing the right thing in trusting their deity.