October 31; 7 BILLION people on Earth

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 03, 2011, 05:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsmuktengan

Late reply (so much work these last days)...

There may be maths in there, but I don't think it is necessary a precise way of trying to understand or estimate. I tend to think that this overpopulation issue is linked to one or more very specific pattern(s) linked to growth, evolution and survival. I am sure about this, even though I haven't got it yet.

I am sincerely and increasingly worried about the world we will leave to our children. I'm pretty much thinking about the issue depicted in Avatar actually, when the natural pattern(s) preserving a minimum harmony and resource sufficiency may be broken by an over-powerful and inhumane system and technologies. (Beware I'm not telling everyone to go back to live in trees and to stop having children, I am simply thinking about the consequences of an unreasoned growth and how evolution could enslave us in our own system and reduce progressively our own space to live and nature).

Seze Mune

My thoughts run along the same lines.

I don't know that humanity as an aggregate has ever consciously and deliberately withheld population growth in favor of balancing itself with the environment.  I don't know how that could ever be achieved.  It would have to be curbed by something calamitous, as it has in the past - polar shift, asteroid hit, rampant plague...

I don't mean to be pessimistic.  It's just that no matter what level of life you are speaking about, it is curbed by natural processes from without, and not conscious decisions.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 30, 2011, 09:41:38 PM
I don't know that humanity as an aggregate has ever consciously and deliberately withheld population growth in favor of balancing itself with the environment.  I don't know how that could ever be achieved.  It would have to be curbed by something calamitous, as it has in the past - polar shift, asteroid hit, rampant plague...

Earth/Gaïa/Eywa probably know how this can be sorted out. One day we may have some brave politicians who will finally decide to think deep in the future and start to guide us into a more responsible mentality towards others and our own ecosystem (the one we are in along with nature). At least, I hope so, as I prefer to keep some optimism.  :)

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 30, 2011, 09:41:38 PMI don't mean to be pessimistic.  It's just that no matter what level of life you are speaking about, it is curbed by natural processes from without, and not conscious decisions.

I do think this as well. The thing is that we are increasingly realizing, at our generation's level, these issues. And I hope one day that some conscious decisions will start a preserving and more humane process of evolving, so that our own evolution shall not fall into regression at break point.

Seze Mune

I definitely agree with you, ma 'eylan! ↑

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

It's almost 7.1 billion already, and that on 3 months, check the countdown on this website. This website started the countdown for 7 billion and it is still counting.
http://www.7billionactions.org/

So, will it say it is already 7.4 by the end of the year?

It is now on: 7,094,724,200

Toruk Makto

And another topic gets drug back in from deep space...   

We need to be a bit more judicious in bring up topics that are over two years old.

Thanks!

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf