Senkaku/Diaoyutai island dispute protests in China

Started by Irtaviš Ačankif, September 22, 2012, 06:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irtaviš Ačankif

Well, there's this island chain called the Senkaku Islands between Okinawa and Taiwan which both China, Taiwan, and Japan lay claim to. Japan administers the region around the islands, though Chinese and Taiwanese activists often do things like secretly plant flags on the islands. Currently there are (quite violent) protests in China demanding that Japanese "return control" of the islands to China.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Senkaku Islands (in Japanese; Diaoyu Islands in Chinese) are offshore islands near Taiwan, and have been a subject of territorial dispute between the governments of the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China and Japan. Prior to the demonstrations, there were many cases of protests over the sovereignty of the islands, most notably those in China in 2005. September 18 marks the anniversary of the 1931 Japanese invasion of northeast China, the memories of which fuel anti-Japanese sentiment in China.

After the 2010 Senkaku boat collision incident, China stopped exporting rare earth to Japan.

Incidents leading up to the protests

On 16 April 2012, Japanese governor Shintaro Ishihara publicly announced his decision to let Tokyo Municipality purchase the island from its private owner.

On 7 July 2012, Japanese prime minister Yoshihiko Noda expresses his consideration for the Japanese government to buy the disputed islands. The Chinese government angrily protested; Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin retorted "No one will ever be permitted to buy and sell China's sacred territory".

On 15 August 2012, activists from Hong Kong sailed to, and landed on one of the disputed islands, but were stopped by the Japan Coast Guard. Seven activists jumped from the ships to swim ashore, five of whom reached the island; the other two turned back to the ships. The activists and their ship were detained by Japanese authorities. The detained activists were deported two days later.

The protests were wide-scale, extreme, and mostly allowed by the authorities. There were police around, but they simply sporadically arrested people doing obviously illegal things (like smashing shops) while looking on during other times. These protests' slogans and patterns show a deep hatred of the Japanese people by the Chinese, ingrained in the memories of the old by World War II and indoctrinated to the young in schools.

Also, China submitted a claim to the United Nations recently to extend its Exclusive Economic Zone to a region bounded within miles by the Japanese Ryukyu Islands archipelago. This is kinda ridiculous, since China does not claim any territory in that region, and there is no reason for Chinese rather than Japanese or Korean exploitation of the area's resources.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì!

This whole campaign is just ridiculous and an indictment of the three governments.
They argue, only because of a few uninhabited rocks in the sea and lose their minds, which show up in totally pointless and counter-productive demonstrations.

Why does the UN not these islands under their management? Then would the whole circus from the table.

Faysawtute skxawng lu! >:( >:( >:(

Unfortunately you can see where exactly here that the economic interests is the driving factor. :(

(Sorry, I used Google Translator for this long text. :-[)

- ta Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Irtaviš Ačankif

I think that economic interests may not be the #1 reason. The #1 reason is the most Chinese people F**CKING HATE JAPANESE. This is one of the biggest problems with Chinese society today. You love China if and only if you hate Japan. >:(

I have a classmate here at uWaterloo who loves Japanese culture but is prohibited by his Japan-hating parents from taking the Japanese elective course (which I did take :) ). Tsa'u nì'aw keftxo lu!

Irtaviš Ačankif

By the way, it would be great if people could take this survey about the Senkaku thing I made:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WMKGBWB

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on September 23, 2012, 12:11:34 AM
I think that economic interests may not be the #1 reason. The #1 reason is the most Chinese people F**CKING HATE JAPANESE. This is one of the biggest problems with Chinese society today. You love China if and only if you hate Japan. >:(
How does it look with Taiwan? They also have an interest in these islands...

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on September 23, 2012, 12:11:34 AM
I have a classmate here at uWaterloo who loves Japanese culture but is prohibited by his Japan-hating parents from taking the Japanese elective course (which I did take :) ). Tsa'u nì'aw keftxo lu!
Unbelievable!
Their parents should be open their eyes so they can see that what they are doing is wrong!

This is sad. Very sad only.

Edit:
Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on September 23, 2012, 12:15:13 AM
By the way, it would be great if people could take this survey about the Senkaku thing I made:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WMKGBWB
On the first question, I was a bit unsure regarding the question.
What country do you think Senkaku belongs to? [German translation: Zu welches Land, denken Sie, gehört Senkaku-Inseln?]
I was not sure that meant, among which country should the islands or the islands are belong to currently.
I take:
钓鱼岛不应该属于任何国家 Senkaku should not be the territory of any country.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Irtaviš Ačankif

lol in Taiwan there are no really big violent protests. Most of the protests are "Taiwan should get the island" rather than "go away, Japan".

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on September 23, 2012, 11:48:14 AM
lol in Taiwan there are no really big violent protests. Most of the protests are "Taiwan should get the island" rather than "go away, Japan".
Like: "When two quarrel, a third rejoices."

I can only hope that all participating states reason prevails and they are not at war with each other.