Steve Jobs dead at age 56

Started by Swoka Ikran, October 05, 2011, 10:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Ikran

I just saw this on the news...:(  Steve Jobs died today.

Quote from: ABC News (WPVI Philadelphia)
October 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Steve Jobs, the Apple founder and former CEO who invented and masterfully marketed ever-sleeker gadgets that transformed everyday technology, from the personal computer to the iPod and iPhone, has died. He was 56. Apple announced his death without giving a specific cause.

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," the company said in a brief statement.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/national_world&id=8380576

http://betanews.com/2011/10/05/tech-loses-a-visionary-steve-jobs-dead-at-56/

http://www.apple.com/
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Yayo

Heard this this morning when I was half asleep. It's difficult to believe.  :(

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

bommel

Quote from: Yayo on October 05, 2011, 11:00:36 PM
Heard this this morning when I was half asleep. It's difficult to believe.  :(
yes, and very sad :(

Eana Tanhì

This is sad, very sad only.. Apple won't be the same without him :(

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Ekirä

Sivalew peyä tirea nìmwey.... He was a great man. :(

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Irtaviš Ačankif

'Ivong Linuks!

Seriously though, he really contributed a lot to Apple. On another hand, I hope that the number of Apple fans will decrease. 'Ivong Linuks!
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tsmuktengan

I woke up with that news, and did not expect this to happen this soon.

I'm deeply attached to open source and interoperability, avoiding locked platforms like Apple's, as a GNU/Linux user. This has always been my reason to avoid it. But Steve Jobs will stay as a great man who wanted people to do something great for him, and they would do something great, beyond their capabilities and what we though possible. He was also able to understand how people's minds were working to both sell better, as an excellent CEO, but also for people to feel part of a family when going Mac, more than being part of a community like it is the case in open source. He was also able several times to pull the computer industry ahead of several years and creating entirely new markets with new products no other 'classic' companies would have dared to offer. He was a great actor, transmitting his ideas extremely well and clearly during his presentations.

I was fascinated by Steve, although I tend to think software and products should not be that locked. I consider him as a legendary figure and I think personally there is a lot to learn from him in several aspects. He did not do everything that has been great these years, but he did participate in this consequently. If only he could have been more humanistic within his company...

He seems to have well prepared his exit from Apple. I don't think the company will suffer much, at least immediately. Tim Cook seems good, otherwise Steve would never have let him become his successor.

May he rest in peace.

Kamean

Yes, I'm also Linux user, and don't use Apple gadgets. But in my opinion Steve Jobs are really talent and he left an imprint on the history of computer technology. I respect him as a talented inventor, although I do not like the fact that his gadgets are too expensive and the operating system uses closed codes.

Irtaviš Ačankif

He is a very talented inventor. However I do not like the recent way of buying up other companies' products and calling them "Apple innovation." Like the capacative multitouchscreen. Or Siri, which was completely a 3rd party software bought up by Apple.

Kamean

This is the cost of capitalism.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Kehe. Microsoft at least does most things by themselves. Like the .NET Framework. And even Windows! Mac OS X was just a mod of FreeBSD. Windows was built from scratch. And is Microsoft not capitalist?

I still love Linux though. Pure innovation in many things. Unfortunately the innovation is mostly technical regarding boot speed, hardware acceleration of software, universal toolkits and such, which won't make as good ad material as Apple-style innovation.

Kamean

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 06, 2011, 03:34:42 PM
Kehe. Microsoft at least does most things by themselves. Like the .NET Framework. And even Windows! Mac OS X was just a mod of FreeBSD. Windows was built from scratch. And is Microsoft not capitalist?
Of course.

Tsmuktengan

Beware not to fall into trolls. I was talking here about the man and the way he created things. What the company and it's competitors did is pretty much another subject that could actually be slippery. We can say a lot of good and bas things on all of them. So I tend to keep the positive aspects.

Jobs also founded Pixar and NeXT, before restructuring Apple that was exhausted when he came back. For someone who never graduated from school, I feel this is pretty much impressive.

Kamean

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Kamean on October 06, 2011, 04:25:43 PM
Sorry :(

No offense. I know Apple isn't all shiny. But it perhaps not a good idea to start fighting about who's the most bad one. ;)

Kamean

Irtaviš Ačankif

Yeah. Apple's bad technical stuff obviously didn't come from Steve Jobs, since SJ is kind of a design guy and all of Apple's physical designs look really great!

Yayo

One opinion doesn't render all of Apple's technology bad. While some of it may be inefficient and/or slightly user unfriendly, you must admit the Steve Jobs has certainly left his mark in the world.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

'Oma Tirea

Although this is tragic, strangely enough, a small part of me doesn't mourn.  It could simply be that I'm not an Apple person....

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on October 06, 2011, 07:59:26 PM
Yeah. Apple's bad technical stuff obviously didn't come from Steve Jobs, since SJ is kind of a design guy and all of Apple's physical designs look really great!

I'm not sure about that.  Sometimes I have the nerve to call the looks of Apple products "cheap" and "cheesy".

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!