Tsunami in Japan

Started by Le'eylan, March 11, 2011, 08:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExLibrisMortis

Not... really... Radiation is still everywhere, entire towns/cities remain either under water of completely devastated. A lot of it won't get rebuilt any time soon because the majority of Japanese people don't buy insurance. The US military is still running rescue operations daily.

archaic

I caught on the news recently, that they were admitting two more reactor melt downs after the earth quake than they had been claiming.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ftiafpi

Since this hasn't been posted in a month and I assume everyone has heard about this event by this point I'm going to unsticky this. Feel free to keep posting in it of course (assuming you have new information/relevant things to say).

archaic

yill catching news reports about the ongoing situation in Japan, huge cranes are moving ships onto huge truks to kake them back to the sea or for scrap. Japan has announced a second interim budget to raise money tor reconstruction.
While many of the survivors are attempting to come to terms with the aftermath, and try to carry on with to life.

TBH it's heart breaking.

Ftiafpi

A big part of me wants to just pack up and go over there and see what I could do. I couldn't afford to do it unfortunately which sucks, I bet they have a huge need for structural engineers.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/before-after-pictures-of-japan-3-months-after-th

Photos of Japan right after the accident and 3 months later. Some places have had remarkable progress, some is still a mess.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I have just read that Fukushima power plant is stable, according to IAEA(International Atomic Energy Agency)

but it's still some earthquake activity there

magnitude varies between 4-6

archaic

That is good to hear.

Quote from: archaic on July 18, 2011, 10:35:28 AM
Still catching news reports about the ongoing situation in Japan, huge cranes are moving ships onto huge trucks to take them back to the sea or for scrap. Japan has announced a second interim budget to raise money for reconstruction.
While many of the survivors are attempting to come to terms with the aftermath, and try to carry on with life.

TBH it's heart breaking.
Fixed. Tiredness = mistakes?

Seze Mune

The complete story hasn't rolled out yet, I'm sure.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

New powerful earthquake in Japan, It has been sent out tsunami warning
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc000e5n4.php

It also shaked the capital Tokyo

Tìtstewan

I saw this earthquake in this program:

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That's a strong earthquake, but nothing at all like the 9 they had last year. This quake was almost 100 times less powerful.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

2 YEARS LATER

Tomorrow, Japan will mark the 2nd anniversary of the devastating Tohoku earthquake and resulting tsunami. The disaster killed nearly 19,000 across Japan, leveling entire coastal villages. Now, nearly all the rubble has been removed, or stacked neatly, but reconstruction on higher ground is lagging, as government red tape has slowed recovery efforts. Locals living in temporary housing are frustrated, and still haunted by the horrific event, some displaying signs of post-traumatic stress disorder. Collected below are a series of before-and-after interactive images. Click on each one to see the image fade from before (2011) to after (2013).

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/03/japan-earthquake-2-years-later-before-and-after/100469/

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

A tsunami-warning has been given to Japan after a very strong 7.3 magnitude earthquake off the east coast. The Fukushima power-plant has been evacuated.
It's over 2 and a half years ago since the massive devastating 9.0 magnitude earthquake that hit the east coast of Japan on 11th of march in 2011, where nearly 16000 people lost their lives. Between March 2011 and October 2013 it has been over 10000 aftershocks in this area.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/10/26/national/m7-earthquake-shakes-tohoku-coast/#.Umre9Too7IU

7.3 quake hits Japan, Fukushima evacuated over tsunami alert

archaic

Here we go again!

Seriously, is there any word on stopping the coolant water storage tank leakages?

Tsawl Layon

Ok quick update: There is no longer a tsunami-warning.
The wave was about 30 cm high. Tepco says, that there is no damage at Fukushima. Sorry for bad English.
Ref: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/15887918/

pack: Pumu- alpha, Train-omega/head of security, Fenrirdarkwolf-member, X_Joshi_X security in training, FoxyCat1108-member/ sniper
Add me on Skype: drago48282 Or Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/drago055
Ja, comrade let us leave petty American squabble and return to vodka and sex.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The quake was a couple hundred miles (I think, the scale on my phone is hard to judge) out to sea, and was shallow. Those kinds of quakes do not normally produce big tsunamis. But I would not be surprised if this quake was set up by the big quake 2 years ago.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

archaic

Given how active the pacific rim of fire is, it doesn't seem likely.
Just another quake in a very seismically active region.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

TEPCO is now giving a warning that Reactor 3 on the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan is due to melt down. This meltdown will be so devastating that it will affect the entire northern hemisphere with nuclear radiation through the whole atmosphere in the northern hemisphere on the planet.

It is North America who is within the most dangerous zone of the spread of radiation.

http://banoosh.com/blog/2013/12/31/fukushima-plant-expected-to-effect-the-entire-northern-hemisphere/

Turner Radio Network (TRN) has issued a report regarding Fukushima Diachi Nuclear Plant that is expected to affect the entire Northern Hemisphere.

According to the report: "Persons residing on the west coast of North America should IMMEDIATELY begin preparing for another possible onslaught of dangerous atmospheric radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster site in Japan."

TEPCO has confirmed that via camera surveillance, that steam has begun to pour from Reactor 3, although they have "not been identified abnormal plant conditions."

TEPCO are reporting that "radioactive steam has suddenly begun emanating from previously exploded nuclear reactor building #3 at the Fukuishima disaster site in Japan."

The corporation is not clear on the details of the sudden change at Reactor 3 because of "lethal radiation levels in that building."

Summations from experts conclude that this may "be the beginning of a 'spent fuel pool criticality (meltdown)' involving up to 89 TONS of nuclear fuel burning up into the atmosphere and heading to North America."

Steam has been viewed coming from Reactor 3.

Educated guesses suggest that the steam is "coming from what's left of the fifth floor of the mostly-destroyed building."

TEPCO has admitted that "they do not know why this steam is being generated, but matter-of-factly revealed today (December 28) the steam was first spotted on December 19 for a short period of time, then again on December 24 and again on December 25."

The accord is that "pellets of radioactive fuel, ejected when the reactor exploded, went into the spent fuel pool located above the reactor and have begun melting down so seriously they are boiling off the water in the spent fuel pool."

Should this be the case "the situation could escalate rapidly out of control."

TRN is warning of preparatory measures that should be taken by those living on the West Coast of America because after the "releasing 89 tons of deadly radioactive fuel directly into the air", it would be a matter or 2 to 3 days before the deadly material would fry North America "by [the] levels of airborne radiation and 'hot particles' which could kill."

Some of the recommendations to mitigate damaging effect of radiation exposure include:

• Keep up-to-date on developments via the Internet
• Buy Duct tape, masking tape and self-adhesive weather stripping
• Cover windows and doors with plastic
• Cover electrical outlets and light switches with plastic
• Cover vents in bathrooms and stoves with plastic
• Purchase a NIOSH N100-certified filter mask for each member of the family
• Purchase disposable TYVEK suit for going outside
• Wash obsessively

archaic

And remember, nuclear power is perfectly safe.