Tsunami in Japan

Started by Le'eylan, March 11, 2011, 08:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIPP

IMHO, at least it was in Japan. If it was in any other country of the world, it would be worse.

I just hope everything will be fine over there...   :(
Na'vi for beginners | Dict-Na'vi.com

Hufwe lìng io pay, nìfnu slä nìlaw.
Loveless, Act IV.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: MIPP on March 12, 2011, 07:35:27 AM
IMHO, at least it was in Japan. If it was in any other country of the world, it would be worse.

Yeah, the Japanese are well prepared for these kind of situations. Most buildings in the cities are built for this and are still standing tall.

Afaik they also managed to evacuate many people to higher grounds since their warning systems are good.

Amaya

*deep breath* heard from our friend in Sendai.  No water, no power, no heat, no phone...they went to get food yesterday but, she says, they don't have much cell phone battery left and they're running out of candles.  I hope they make it through okay!

Human No More

Very sad :'(

As for the nuclear reactors, it's obvious scaremongering. Some steam was released and the external containment building (designed to protect the actual reactor containment vessel itself) has been damaged. People going on about 'radiation is 1000 times normal' always conveniently neglect to mention that that is still nowhere near a harmful level, plus from what I've heard it wasn't even true to begin with.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Dalva

from what i hear 1000 times normal radiation level only occurs in the control room, near the core.
and they are so desperate to actually use sea water to cool the reactor core. doing that will damage the reactor beyond repairs, in my opinion. last time when i visit a nuclear reactor in my school field trip, one of the engineer says that a reactor core needs an almost pure H2O for cooling. it should contain no impurities or the core will get damaged. now imagine the plant operators in japan are pumping sea water to the core.

Amaya

That reactor, from what I understand, was to have been shut down shortly anyway, this month, even, so damaging it irreparably is,  perhaps, not such a dire thing as it might sound, compared to what might happen if it overheats and actually does melt down.

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

My Newspaper, front page:

Catastrophy in Japan shakes the world

archaic

Did the tsunami reach the US eastern seaboard?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: archaic on March 13, 2011, 10:33:08 AM
I don't think it was supposed to reach the east coast...the west coast has already been hammered by it though. Some coastal towns in Oregon got the worst of it I think.

In the news this morning, they mentioned there are now 3 nuke reactors giving them trouble...another cooling system reportedly failed yesterday. According to CNN, Japanese officials were saying that there's still a good risk of at least a partial meltdown in 2 of them.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

archaic

Soz, I meant west coast.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 13, 2011, 11:15:14 AM
I don't think it was supposed to reach the east coast...the west coast has already been hammered by it though. Some coastal towns in Oregon got the worst of it I think.

In the news this morning, they mentioned there are now 3 nuke reactors giving them trouble...another cooling system reportedly failed yesterday. According to CNN, Japanese officials were saying that there's still a good risk of at least a partial meltdown in 2 of them.

I hope this is not going to become Chernobyl II

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on March 13, 2011, 11:37:51 AM

Let's hope not. These reactors are built differently though...they're inside steel containment walls, so the chances of it going the route of Chernobyl are almost none.

Quote from: archaic on March 13, 2011, 11:16:33 AM
Soz, I meant west coast.
Kinda thought so.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Le'eylan

Quote from: Lolet te Maticay Irana'ite Omaticaya on March 11, 2011, 06:30:53 PM
We have three Japanese exchange students at our school. Two of them know their families are okay, the other hasn't heard from her family yet.  :'(
Any updates on this?  :-\

Gosh it's so terrible
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Lolet

Quote from: Le'eylan on March 13, 2011, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: Lolet te Maticay Irana'ite Omaticaya on March 11, 2011, 06:30:53 PM
We have three Japanese exchange students at our school. Two of them know their families are okay, the other hasn't heard from her family yet.  :'(
Any updates on this?  :-\

Gosh it's so terrible

Not yet.  :P One of my friends was in Fiji too. She's fine though.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Eywa'eveng-tìranyu on March 13, 2011, 11:37:51 AM

I've done a bit of research. Such a devastating meltdown as there was in Chernobyl isn't possible with modern nuclear reactors. Even if there would be a meltdown it would be contained inside the plant.

See the link I posted above.

Human No More

That was obvious enough - technically, Chernobyl wasn't a meltdown anyway, it was an explosion and fire, which only resulted in a significant area contamination because there was no proper containment building.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on March 13, 2011, 02:47:44 PM
http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

Apparantly the situation is under control.
That explains that. I learned quite a lot about nuclear plant construction in 20 minutes...No meltdown will happen, and these plants are built to contain the radioactive mess if it did.

As for radiation release from them venting it...not as harmful as CNN makes it sound. The radioactivity of the vapor apparently decays in seconds.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 13, 2011, 04:11:34 PM
Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on March 13, 2011, 02:47:44 PM
http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

Apparantly the situation is under control.
That explains that. I learned quite a lot about nuclear plant construction in 20 minutes...No meltdown will happen, and these plants are built to contain the radioactive mess if it did.

As for radiation release from them venting it...not as harmful as CNN makes it sound. The radioactivity of the vapor apparently decays in seconds.

Yeah, It appears that they doesn't have the same radiation cleaning system that they talked about at OKG, that would clear the ventilation air of most of the radiation before releasing it in the atmosphere. It shouldn't be a problem though.

Kamean

I saw in news that in same station starting problems with second reactor. :(
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.