Tsunami in Japan

Started by Le'eylan, March 11, 2011, 08:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bommel

Quote from: Kamean on March 13, 2011, 05:19:42 PM
I saw in news that in same station starting problems with second reactor. :(
They have a lot of problematic reactors now :(
This technology isn't safe or controllable and I can't understand why so many countries (including my own) want to keep it

Le'eylan

Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Txantslusam Skxawng

And then to think tsunami's arent the only problem!

This is just terrible....
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: bommel on March 14, 2011, 03:34:26 AM
This technology isn't safe or controllable and I can't understand why so many countries (including my own) want to keep it

What are they supposed to replace it with?

There was once a decision that All Nuclear reactors in Sweden would have been stopped 1st Jan 2010. Then they realized that the only replacement they had is German coal power, about the least environment friendly power source.

Le'eylan

=^● ⋏ ●^=

Kamean

Hawaii lucky to get off. :)

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Lucky help is on it's way, but it will still take years, if not decades to repair this damage, even if there won't be a nuclear meltdown.

Kamean

Yes destructions are tremendous.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Something exploded at the Nuclear plant again. I'm not sure how much or what is damaged at the moment, and I can't find any sources of an update on the INES scale, last update I can find says a 4 on the INES scale (i.e. an accident without any risk for the environment), but that was March 12.

Le'eylan

Latest I heard was that there was another explosion by midnight GMT +1..
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Eywa'eveng-tìranyu

I heard that the third block (I think No.4) exploded - the steel casing aroung the rods is seriously damaged.
This morning they said the radiation level is 400-times higher than the limit.

Kamean

I heard about the problems already have eight reactors.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

The accident will possibly be upgraded to a 5 or even 6 at the INES scale. There hasn't been a 5 since Three Mile Island 1979 and the maximum level of 7 has only been used for the accident at Chernobyl.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Possible_damage_at_Fukushima_Daiichi_2_1503111.html

QuoteA message recieved from Tepco at about 5pm said the primary containment vessel around the reactor and secondary containment provided by the reactor building "show no significant change."

So, the containment vessles seems to be fine and apparantly the radiation outside of the buildings are as good as gone. The last update said 0.6 millisieverts, which iirc is less than in the "Red Zones" during normal operation.

Human No More

6 is impossible, nobody has died and there is no widespread contamination.
https://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/
The current panic is due to certain organised people with an agenda spreading FUD since many people have little to no understanding of how these things work.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Dalva

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on March 14, 2011, 12:33:08 PM
Quote from: bommel on March 14, 2011, 03:34:26 AM

What are they supposed to replace it with?

There was once a decision that All Nuclear reactors in Sweden would have been stopped 1st Jan 2010. Then they realized that the only replacement they had is German coal power, about the least environment friendly power source.
well if you can control nuclear power it will be the most environmentally friendly way of generating a lot of energy. but if it goes out of control it will be the least environmentally friendly.
maybe another alternative solar power or wind power, but they arent very stable since the sun might be blocked by clouds and wind may die off with no warning
and fusion is still far from widespread use

archaic

Fusion is still far form being a reality beyond lab experiments.

The main problem with nuclear power is what to do with the high level nuclear waste. Looks like mankind will have to store it for many thousands of years.

Unless someone can figure out a better way to dispose of it.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Yeah, the main problem is the nuclear waste and it looks like the first long time storage facility might get delayed 10 years, or more. It isn't really clear yet, just that some Environmentalists have accused it for not being safe enough.

archaic

How could it be safe enough?
It has to exist for a lot longer than recorded human history, and never ever have an accident. It's not possible.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.