Uganda and LGBT rights

Started by Zusupa Tanhì, January 29, 2013, 03:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irtaviš Ačankif

There are lots of things in the Bible that are considered sins, but yet we should remember that the Bible's commandments were towards believers. In other words, I'm all for LGBT rights, since homosexuality arguably does not victimize or harm anybody, but I won't believe any homosexual person claiming to be a Christian.

Laws should be created to protect society and not to assume everybody is a practicing Christian and attempt to apply God's much stricter restrictions on everybody.

@'Eylan: I disagree that the media is anti-Christian. This video isn't from the mainstream media who claims to be fair anyway, but from an honestly called-such activism initiative.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Zusupa Tanhì on January 30, 2013, 04:12:20 PM
*ehem* Getting back on my original track, how can we (besides social media) help to change this awful practice? I think we can all agree that this is disgraceful and horrible. Any suggestions? Should we put up flyers? Have protests?
Although I'm arguably much less conservative than 'Eylan (I consider myself somewhat of a libertarian) I do agree that more research should be done. All too often people far away mount protests on issues that either don't exist, are exaggerated, or exist in completely different aspects that need more urgently to get fixed.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Urekiniste Lûsenin on January 31, 2013, 09:00:52 PM
@'Eylan: I disagree that the media is anti-Christian. This video isn't from the mainstream media who claims to be fair anyway, but from an honestly called-such activism initiative.

Actually, these are the kind you have to watch the most. Activists are by definition devoted to a cause, and that devotion causes them to look at things differently than a level-headed person might. One one had, they do good when they expose issues that otherwise remain hidden. On the other hand, their significant bias tends to cause them to take a much more 'partisan' and 'all is evil' position on their issue of interest. And they exist on both sides of the political spectrum. There are conservative activists who bend the truth as well as liberal, and they both need to be called out. This is the reason why people need to learn that just because you saw it on TV doesn't mean it has to be true!

My feeling is there is a relatively small number of churches that knowingly support this sort of behavior. I bet you find these churches have just as radical a viewpoint as the churches that support it in Uganda. The mainstream church there is likely not supportive of such an extreme law there, as it is in direct contradiction to scripture. In every legislature, including the US Congress, extreme laws like this are introduced, with no thought to their constitutionality. Why? I will never know. the job of a good legislature (including the one in Uganda) is not so much to pass good laws, but to make sure bad bills never become law.

There is also a spiritual aspect to this situation, that is beyond the scope of this discussion, and it is related to the never-ending battle between what is good and what is evil. Much of 'Avatar' is about this same battle.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]